NYC from Jersey City touring questions

euphscott

My flight is supposed to arrive arrive around 12:30 a day prior to the cruise. I've never been to NYC, so I want to soak up a little of the vibe of the city - so I am likely stuck with the touristy stuff!

My plan is to take the Newport Rail station into the city (my hotel in Jersey City is 2 blocks from this station) - likely getting off near Empire State Building. We know we can grab a hop on hop off tour bus, but it only runs to 6 PM. Optimistically, I am guessing I've only got 4 hours. Anyone familiar with that tour have opinions on whether or not it's worth it to try? Again - I don't have an agenda, just see as much as possible, but too, I do not want to get on the bus and then be 20 blocks away from my return spot at 6 PM.

Also - is it safe to be walking throughout Manhattan at 6 PM? Or are their areas we need to avoid?

Alternative suggestions for a first timer with limited time - I board the Anthem the next morning, so truly I have an afternoon and an evening to get a little taste.

Please help this Texan love NY! :)

Thanks in advance...

I don't know anything about the tour bus, but I don't think you need it to explore NYC. It's a great city to just wander around and yes you will be fine after 6pm. The Newport train station is part of the PATH system which is different from the NYC subway. You can get the NYC Metrocard at the Newport train station and it's good on both subway systems. Check out the West Village where there are a lot of good restaurants and jazz clubs. Or go to Times Square and check out all the other tourists doing touristy things. Don't restrict yourself to a specific time window.

While the last pickup is 6pm, several HoHo bus companies sell a night tours. I know Big Bus does which is less HoHo'ing and more of a tour of the city lights from the bus.

I agree with Mike, you don't need a HoHo bus, it is safe. Big City, keep your wits about you and you will be fine.

Well the idea is to see as much of the city as we can in a short amount of time. Perhaps due to the size of the city and limited time it is really a bad idea?

That's really a tough call as Manhattan is a place you experience, not "see" (certainly there are places to see).

What do you really want to see? And what time of year? If summer, you can have hours to wander in daylight, and there are plenty of things to see, do, and experience that are perfectly safe. If your plans are Battery Park and Harlem, for instance, not very doable. But if a long afternoon in Midtown interests you, I can wear you out and the only HOHO bus you'll see will be stuck in traffic while you walk by it...

I've never done it, but the night buses do seem to have near universal recommendations.

Well the idea is to see as much of the city as we can in a short amount of time. Perhaps due to the size of the city and limited time it is really a bad idea?

I think you should identify what you really want to see and check back with us for suggestions as to how to organize it. The popular sights tend to be located in midtown or downtown.

It would be possible to take PATH to midtown (Herald Square - 34th St & 6th Ave). You can walk to Times Square and then east to Rockefeller Center. You can take the subway downtown and see the 911 Memorial, Wall St., and view the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park. You can return to NJ on PATH from the World Trade Center.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Regular buses are also an option to just ride the surface streets.

With a 12:30 flight arrival, I think 2:00 pm is overly optimistic to be getting on a Hoho bus.

OP: my immediate thought on reading your post is that you'd be spending a great deal of time sitting in traffic. I agree with others that you should focus on some things you'd really like to see, and go from there. Much of Manhattan is very walkable, and safe (with the usual big city precautions you should take anywhere).

My flight is supposed to arrive arrive around 12:30 a day prior to the cruise. I've never been to NYC, so I want to soak up a little of the vibe of the city - so I am likely stuck with the touristy stuff!

My plan is to take the Newport Rail station into the city (my hotel in Jersey City is 2 blocks from this station) - likely getting off near Empire State Building. We know we can grab a hop on hop off tour bus, but it only runs to 6 PM. Optimistically, I am guessing I've only got 4 hours. Anyone familiar with that tour have opinions on whether or not it's worth it to try? Again - I don't have an agenda, just see as much as possible, but too, I do not want to get on the bus and then be 20 blocks away from my return spot at 6 PM.

Also - is it safe to be walking throughout Manhattan at 6 PM? Or are their areas we need to avoid?

Alternative suggestions for a first timer with limited time - I board the Anthem the next morning, so truly I have an afternoon and an evening to get a little taste.

Please help this Texan love NY! :)

Thanks in advance...

You don't need the HoHo. If you get to Penn Station NYC you can easily walk to Empire State Bldg. Go up to Observation Deck. From there you can walk to Times Square. I would go to Times Square in the evening to get the wow factor of the lights.

It is perfectly safe to walk around Manhattan at 6:00 pm. The streets are packed with people. Just be careful crossing the street. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks gang - it sounds like the HOHO is not in our best interest. At this point, we have not settled in on what we want to see because with so little time, it seems quite overwhelming!

If 2:00 is too ambitious...could we still get to the 911 Memorial and Museum with sufficient time to explore? Then we could head back to Times Square? Is there any good food in Times Square is it all touristy or chains in that location?

Thanks gang - it sounds like the HOHO is not in our best interest. At this point, we have not settled in on what we want to see because with so little time, it seems quite overwhelming!

If 2:00 is too ambitious...could we still get to the 911 Memorial and Museum with sufficient time to explore? Then we could head back to Times Square? Is there any good food in Times Square is it all touristy or chains in that location?

You have plenty of time but you need to choose between downtown which is 9/11 Memorial and Museum plus some cool places --or-- midtown Manhattan which is Empire State Building, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. Once you narrow it down you can figure out your transportation. And forget the 6:00 pm thing. Broadway shows only start at 8;00 pm so every place is teaming with people to at least midnight.

If you walk a block or two out of Times Square plenty of non touristy restaurants

My suggestion would be to first take PATH to the World Trade Center for the 911 memorial area. Then take the R or W local subway to Times Square at 42nd St. From there you can walk east to Rockefeller Center, and walk down 5th Ave past St Patrick's to the Empire State at 34th St and then west to PATH at 33rd & 6th for the Journal Square train back to Newport.

My suggestion would be to first take PATH to the World Trade Center for the 911 memorial area. Then take the R or W local subway to Times Square at 42nd St. From there you can walk east to Rockefeller Center, and walk down 5th Ave past St Patrick's to the Empire State at 34th St and then west to PATH at 33rd & 6th for the Journal Square train back to Newport.

That's a lot to accomplish in one day but I'm sure it's doable. It might be sensory overload for someone not used the the crowds and traffic.

That's a lot to accomplish in one day but I'm sure it's doable. It might be sensory overload for someone not used the the crowds and traffic.

There are so many options. The OP is going to have to prioritize what they want to do. They certainly don't have to walk all over midtown, but it's an option. I think that at least the 911 memorial area and Times Square are doable.

One of the advantages of staying in Jersey City is that you can do what I think of as the "big circle" tour - PATH from Newport to downtown on the World Trade train, subway uptown, and PATH from 33rd back to Newport on the Journal Square train.

For my next Anthem cruise I'm actually booked at the Courtyard Jersey City so I can do the 911 memorial and take the light rail to Bayonne for the $1.10 senior fare. I plan to see his Uber works to get into the port.

Thanks 138 and Got2 - it may be ambitious - but it sounds manageable - my wife and I are fit and used to crowds (Dallas may not be NYC - but we aren't country folk either), so walking and maneuvering does not scare us. I like the loop idea - that seems to make sense and get us a little bit of a sampler as well as allow us to experience some good food.

We thought we might have one more day, but it's a 9 day cruise, so we will be away from work enough as it is! We wanted a little taste of the big picture, just enough to make us want to come back and spend more time.

The big loop is a great idea. If you want to pack in even more... From World Trade Center, take the E and anywhere from Canal to 42st/Port Authority switch (free transfer) to an express A or local C train and head up to 59st/Columbus Circle. From there you can wander into Central Park and take a look at the southern end. Exit out on Center Drive and walk down 6th Ave to Radio City/Rockefeller Center (you'll walk past MoMA too). Walk west across 50th or 49 St to 7th Ave or Broadway for the Theater District. Wander around the area (M&M store on 48th and 7th, Late Show up on 53rd and Broadway, the concentration of Broadway theaters are between 49th and 42nd St between Broadway and 8th Ave). Make your way south on Broadway or 7th Ave to Time Square. Finally walk down 7th Ave towards 34 St and see Macy's, Penn Station, and Madison Square Garden. On 34th or 33rd St you can walk East to the Empire State Building (33rd and 5th) or just pick up the PATH at Greely Square (intersection of Broadway and 6th Ave on 33rd St). This is a lot of walking but gives you a great flavor of Midtown Manhattan and passes by most of the major attractions in the area.

Thanks 138 and Got2 - it may be ambitious - but it sounds manageable - my wife and I are fit and used to crowds (Dallas may not be NYC - but we aren't country folk either), so walking and maneuvering does not scare us. I like the loop idea - that seems to make sense and get us a little bit of a sampler as well as allow us to experience some good food.

We thought we might have one more day, but it's a 9 day cruise, so we will be away from work enough as it is! We wanted a little taste of the big picture, just enough to make us want to come back and spend more time.

Have a great time! Besides the 9/11 Memorial, you need to see the Oculus! It's next door.

What type of food are you looking for? I'm sure folks can give you suggestions.

Thanks Spree - that's a lot more to sneak in - but it gives us something to chew on!

Wow - I just looked up the Oculus - first I have heard of that - I am sure we won't be able to miss it!

Food? If we don't get pizza of some kind, I will be divorced! I was thinking maybe lunch? After that - she will be happy and we will be culinary free agents.

How dressy is NYC dining if we go sit down somewhere? We aren't looking to do anything super high end as that is time spent indoors we could be exploring.

And as for purchasing subway cards - we may only need one trip - do we need to purchase separate cards or can we buy one and share?

Thanks again for all your help. I'd definitely look the touristy part without your insight. With all the suggestions and map study, I feel we can have a pretty good afternoon and evening.

Let me make sure I more or less have your timing straight.

Your goal is to get to the WTC PATH station at around 2:00? With a limited amount of time, my unfortunate inclination would be to grab something quick to eat somewhere. I don't spend much time in that part of the city, but there's almost certainly a bodega or local sandwich shop. Because you're going to be on the go for several hours. I'm sure there's pizza in the area, but a New Yorker would have to make that recommendation...

Figure a couple of hours for (quick) overview of the memorial and museum (the museum wasn't open last time we were there, so I don't know how long to allow).

While I like Spree's idea, you really have to make up your mind how much you want to walk. I would consider taking the E Train from the WTC to 5th Ave and 53rd. That's going to put you near St Patrick's Cathedral, and Rockefeller Center. Both are worth a look, and Radio City Music Hall is in the same basic block on 6th Ave. I highly recommend Top of the Rock for an elevated view of the city. Central Park is at 60th, if you decide to walk uptown. If you do that, you can at least look into the park, and go by the Plaza. If you head back downtown along 7th Ave, you'll pass Carnegie Hall and enter Times Square.

This is kind of the tricky part, depending on time. If you want to try pizza, and stay casual, I'm a big fan of John's on 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue. It is local. There's a real possibility of a wait, but that's going to be the case anywhere in the area.

From Times Square, head down Broadway to Herald Square and Macy's, then turn right to the Empire State Building. If you went up Top of the Rock earlier, you'll just be looking, and you will have had one of the best views in Manhattan of the ESB.

That gets you close to Penn Station and PATH back to Jersey.

You will only need one Metro card; there is a cost for the card as well as the fare to load. You swipe to enter, hand it back, and the other one swipes. You don't swipe at the exit. If you're only going to make the one trip, it's probably just as easy to buy two single ride cards.

Don't worry about what to wear, especially in Times Square. If you were going to an expensive restaurant, or even a business person's restaurant in the financial district then maybe they have dress codes, but other than that, as long as you are neat and clean, you will be fine.

I will suggest John's Pizza 260 West 44 Street for Pizza in Times Square. (its listed on yelp and trip advisor) )It's huge, the service is good, and the food is fresh, but not expensive. You are on a time limit, and you will be in Times Square. I've eaten there and the pizza is very good. It will give you time to sit down and relax for a bit. If you get hungry near the World Trade Center there will be plenty of pretzel/hot dog stands to tide you over. Always ask "how much" before ordering something from a stand. If you think they're trying to rip you off then to to the next one. My husband once walked five blocks to save fifty cents, all on principle lol

Don't worry about what to wear, especially in Times Square. If you were going to an expensive restaurant, or even a business person's restaurant in the financial district then maybe they have dress codes, but other than that, as long as you are neat and clean, you will be fine.

I will suggest John's Pizza 260 West 44 Street for Pizza in Times Square. (its listed on yelp and trip advisor) )It's huge, the service is good, and the food is fresh, but not expensive. You are on a time limit, and you will be in Times Square. I've eaten there and the pizza is very good. It will give you time to sit down and relax for a bit. If you get hungry near the World Trade Center there will be plenty of pretzel/hot dog stands to tide you over. Always ask "how much" before ordering something from a stand. If you think they're trying to rip you off then to to the next one. My husband once walked five blocks to save fifty cents, all on principle lol

We must have been editing at the same time! We both just recommended a quick bite downtown and John's for Pizza...

Thank you again!

John's sounds perfect! My only self edit to any suggestions is we don't really have any need or desire to go up high for a view. We are not afraid of heights - but we see pictures of views and we'd rather be experiencing than viewing (if that makes any sens at all). Given a number of days, sure, we'd take in a view.

All of your suggestions have been quite helpful - I feel a lot better prepared.

Just to make my dilemma a bit more fun - a moderate friend from friendship circles in the past is opening a new show (Bandstand) and we'd love to catch that. But a while back we decided we'll check in on seats that afternoon and if it is meant to be, we will go, if not - all the other touring is what we'd prefer. We are learning this is not like a Florida cruise departure - you just cannot show up a day or two early and get a good flavor for the departure location.

Thank you again!

John's sounds perfect! My only self edit to any suggestions is we don't really have any need or desire to go up high for a view. We are not afraid of heights - but we see pictures of views and we'd rather be experiencing than viewing (if that makes any sens at all). Given a number of days, sure, we'd take in a view.

All of your suggestions have been quite helpful - I feel a lot better prepared.

Just to make my dilemma a bit more fun - a moderate friend from friendship circles in the past is opening a new show (Bandstand) and we'd love to catch that. But a while back we decided we'll check in on seats that afternoon and if it is meant to be, we will go, if not - all the other touring is what we'd prefer. We are learning this is not like a Florida cruise departure - you just cannot show up a day or two early and get a good flavor for the departure location.

I've been seeing the ads for "Bandstand", it looks good! If you change your mind about ordering the tix in advance, go to Playbill.com and sign up for free. From there you can order discounted tickets. Or, you can to to the TKTS booth in Times Square the day of for half off tickets.