Etna or Vesuvius?

trosebery

Our Italy+Greece cruise has us stopping in both Messina and Naples. We're science nerds and would like to visit a volcano once during our trip -- not just see in the distance but go up the mountain.

Which do you think would be more interesting (especially for a family group that includes two kids, ages 9 and 13) - Etna or Vesuvius?

Which do you think would be the better use of our port time (considering travel times, other sites we might be missing out on, etc.)?

Did anybody do an interesting tour to either that they can especially recommend? I would love some advice from anyone who's BTDT.

Well, Etna has the advantage of being very active but it's also harder to reach. You can only go so far up the mountain without a guide.

Vesuvio, on the other hand, is easily reached from the port in Naples and you can march on up to the rim on your own in 15-30 minutes, depending on your physical ability (it's only one mile from the parking lot to the rim of the grand cone).

Of the two, Etna is certainly more visually stunning, but you can get a lot closer to Vesuvio.

Our upcoming cruise does both ports, we want to go up a volcano and are planning for Etna.

Having been to both ports already anyway, I would go for Etna because the is so much else worth doing in Naples, whereas in Messina there is so little else beyond Etna that is unique*.

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to visit Herculaneum whilst in Naples port - nor the chance to get some real pizza in Naples itself before the interesting walk back to the port.

*maybe Taoramina, could that be done in conjunction with Etna?

Getting to the summit or Vesuvius is quite a slog. I was knackered by the time I got to the top. I think they said where you start walking is just 200 metres to go - but thats straight up! Its tiring, hot and the soil gravely and uncomfortable. There is as others have said, lots to do in and around naples. I think I'd agree with the other suggestions that Etna is the better option. I have no idea how near to the summit you can get on a tour, though for vesuvius, you get literally to the top.

Thank you for the advice! I think we'll go with an Etna+Taormina tour. (Even if it is a bit of a drive to Etna, I'd rather a bit of a drive than a forced march up Vesuvius in the August heat.) Now we'll just have to decide which of the many interesting Naples options to explore!

Thank you for the advice! I think we'll go with an Etna+Taormina tour. (Even if it is a bit of a drive to Etna, I'd rather a bit of a drive than a forced march up Vesuvius in the August heat.) Now we'll just have to decide which of the many interesting Naples options to explore!

I used two good tour companies for both ports when on carnival vista last August.

The first cost €30 per head from Naples to Pompeii, Herculaneum and vesuvius. The other was €40 from Messina for the godfather and Taormina tour.

Unless your arrivals is a Sunday, both are easy to DIY and cheap as chips. Taormina I think was €8 return and the ruins, €2.30 per leg. We only did the tour to get up the volcano. It was hard in that August heat I can tell you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used two good tour companies for both ports when on carnival vista last August.

The first cost €30 per head from Naples to Pompeii, Herculaneum and vesuvius. The other was €40 from Messina for the godfather and Taormina tour.

Unless your arrivals is a Sunday, both are easy to DIY and cheap as chips. Taormina I think was €8 return and the ruins, €2.30 per leg. We only did the tour to get up the volcano. It was hard in that August heat I can tell you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveling with kids, I think I'm going to pay more for private tours. (Though, honestly, I whine more than they do in the summer heat. If I weren't a teacher, no way would I travel in the summer.)

Check out Legendary Sicily. We had a great day with Eddy a couple weeks ago. He has great geological knowledge. You get to walk on Lava and see Etna from several places. We took the all day jeep and walking tour. The walking was OK for this senior.

Check out Legendary Sicily. We had a great day with Eddy a couple weeks ago. He has great geological knowledge. You get to walk on Lava and see Etna from several places. We took the all day jeep and walking tour. The walking was OK for this senior.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll go check them out.