Self Assist

Shock1998

In the past I have done both relaxed debarkation and self assist. This time I will be traveling alone and prefer to do self assist but worry about getting luggage by myself. In the past I have seen elevators disabled and yet times working fine. Can anyone tell me what elevators Carnival will likely disable the morning of debarkation. Forward, middle or aft elevators? Thanks in advance.

In the past I have done both relaxed debarkation and self assist. This time I will be traveling alone and prefer to do self assist but worry about getting luggage by myself. In the past I have seen elevators disabled and yet times working fine. Can anyone tell me what elevators Carnival will likely disable the morning of debarkation. Forward, middle or aft elevators? Thanks in advance.

I don't understand, why would they deliberately disable elevators?

Crowd control

Depends on the ship and port which elevators are closed.

Aft elevators are usually not closed because of the buffet.

Crowd control

Depends on the ship and port which elevators are closed.

Aft elevators are usually not closed because of the buffet.

We didn't encounter this problem on our other cruises, perhaps it's a problem unique to some ships. Do they disable the stairs as well? I really don't see how shutting down the elevators would do much to control the crowds, more like irritate the crowds just before letting them go.

Royal Caribbean told us last year that if you self assist, you may do so, but you must be able to climb the stairs with luggage because the elevators would be off. No clue why.

Royal Caribbean told us last year that if you self assist, you may do so, but you must be able to climb the stairs with luggage because the elevators would be off. No clue why.

Must be only specific ships then, on Oasis last year we got up and walked to the elevator with our stuff and rode it down to the promenade.

We didn't encounter this problem on our other cruises, perhaps it's a problem unique to some ships. Do they disable the stairs as well? I really don't see how shutting down the elevators would do much to control the crowds, more like irritate the crowds just before letting them go.

On the Fantasy ships I've been on they block the forward elevators, glass atrium elevators and block the staircase preventing access to Empress Deck 7. The way the exit line snakes around this prevents pax from cutting in at the front of the line.

Mid ship elevators are used at embark and the last early morning for luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They disable or block elevator access during disembarkation for the same reason they do it during embarkation. They are moving luggage in the elevators. Imagine these poor porters trying to get our luggage off the ship for us via the stairs. :eek:

We have noticed that the forward elevators are usually working for the general public and the rest are used for off loading passengers luggage during disembarkation. But we have been on the Dream class the last few years so it may be different for other classes of ships. Once you're on board ask your cabin steward or someone at the pursers desk. There's always a few elevators open for cruisers because the infirm, handicapped and elderly have to use an elevator. Just find out which ones once you're on board and plan accordingly and you'll be fine.

How is anyone going to know if they choose to disable any elevators.

They disable or block elevator access during disembarkation for the same reason they do it during embarkation. They are moving luggage in the elevators. Imagine these poor porters trying to get our luggage off the ship for us via the stairs. :eek:

We have noticed that the forward elevators are usually working for the general public and the rest are used for off loading passengers luggage during disembarkation. But we have been on the Dream class the last few years so it may be different for other classes of ships. Once you're on board ask your cabin steward or someone at the pursers desk. There's always a few elevators open for cruisers because the infirm, handicapped and elderly have to use an elevator. Just find out which ones once you're on board and plan accordingly and you'll be fine.

I have never seen Carnival staff moving luggage in elevators on debarkation day. That is always done the night before. I do believe that a previous poster was correct that the fwd elevators are locked down to keep people from loitering in the atrium, where the lines need to keep flowing. If they're doing it correctly, the CD has great crew members posted all over the lobby deck atrium area staircases, elevator banks and surrounding areas keeping people from coming down or up until they are called. This makes for the easiest debark. I don't have the patience for the ones that crowd halls and don't follow directions, so I go early self assist every time.