NCL Getaway CPH Disembarkation Questions

nt13

I am sailing on the June 21st NCL Getaway Baltic cruise with my husband and two children (ages 6 and 9). I have been reading terrible reviews of the disembarkation process on this ship which all seem to think it has to do with the ship and not the local immigration/customs process. I myself can't speculate as to the cause. Some people have stated they waited in line on the ship to get off for up to 2 hours.

We have a 12:20 flight from CPH. Waiting in line for 2 hours sounds stressful, especially with young children in tow. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to plan to avoid a difficult and lengthy disembarkation experience (if this is indeed the case in CPH) and still make it for our 12:20 flight?

Thank you in advance for your help!

The problems currently being experienced on the Getaway may be due to shipside issues. However, that doesn't mean they are nothing to do with immigration and customs.

There is a big difference between disembarkation in Miami and in Europe. In Miami, you have to walk through immigration. Every time I have arrived in a US port that has caused delays to an extent (on one occasion of a few hours).

In Europe there is no immigration. You walk off the ship and you are done. I have never had to wait for even a second on any disembarkation in Europe.

It seems to me that they are dealing with the situation badly in the Getaway, but I'm almost certain that the situation arises because they are trying to control the flow through immigration. The result is that they are transferring the queue from the immigration desks to the ship. In Europe there are no immigration queues.

You will have no problem in Copenhagen.

The problems currently being experienced on the Getaway may be due to shipside issues. However, that doesn't mean they are nothing to do with immigration and customs.

There is a big difference between disembarkation in Miami and in Europe. In Miami, you have to walk through immigration. Every time I have arrived in a US port that has caused delays to an extent (on one occasion of a few hours).

In Europe there is no immigration. You walk off the ship and you are done. I have never had to wait for even a second on any disembarkation in Europe.

It seems to me that they are dealing with the situation badly in the Getaway, but I'm almost certain that the situation arises because they are trying to control the flow through immigration. The result is that they are transferring the queue from the immigration desks to the ship. In Europe there are no immigration queues.

You will have no problem in Copenhagen.

Keith, thank you for this thoughtful response which makes sense to me. I am hopeful this will be the case!

Any suggestion as to what time to be leaving the ship to make sure we make our 12:20pm flight?

I'd leave fairly early.

I assume you will be using a taxi. It will depend a bit on what day you are arriving, as the airport is the other side of the City from the port, so traffic could be an issue on weekdays.

I'd imagine you need to be there by about 10am. You'd want to be in a taxi by 9 I'd guess (the taxi shouldn't take that long, but you don't want to be rushing). If it was me I'd probably want to be off the ship by about 8, on the basis that I'd rather be waiting an extra hour at the airport rather than be rushing if you get any hold ups.

It isn't as if there is anything to do on the ship. I'd get up have breakfast and be gone.

I'd leave fairly early.

I assume you will be using a taxi. It will depend a bit on what day you are arriving, as the airport is the other side of the City from the port, so traffic could be an issue on weekdays.

I'd imagine you need to be there by about 10am. You'd want to be in a taxi by 9 I'd guess (the taxi shouldn't take that long, but you don't want to be rushing). If it was me I'd probably want to be off the ship by about 8, on the basis that I'd rather be waiting an extra hour at the airport rather than be rushing if you get any hold ups.

It isn't as if there is anything to do on the ship. I'd get up have breakfast and be gone.

Great and thank you again! We arrive on a Friday, so traffic might be an issue. I agree with preferring to wait at the airport than rushing. Thanks!

You will have no problem in Copenhagen.[/quoteIs

THERE IS NO IMMIGRATION IN DENMARK? IS THIS TRUE?

Since the ships comes from another EU country there will be no need for it.

I don't know how it will be handled post Brexit with ships coming from there but time will tell.

But in most cases the ship will start and end the trip in Copenhagen so that is probably the reason why.

Since the ships comes from another EU country there will be no need for it.

I don't know how it will be handled post Brexit with ships coming from there but time will tell.

But in most cases the ship will start and end the trip in Copenhagen so that is probably the reason why.

THANKS. That should make my 12 noon flight easier to catch. (know there is security a CPH but if I am at the airport I will not worry to much)

Just a bonus info.

The airport has experienced massive growt over the last few years and capacity during the busy summer days has been at limit.

The airport does everything it can, the new central security area is expanding and should open before the summer and they are also expanding the terminals and building a new pier.

But these projects are a few years into the future.

Point is that you should probably allow yourself plenty of time at the airport

On the busy days the lines at security can be around 15-20 minutes long.

About the same at the passport check, unless you have the E passport and therefore can use the E-gates.

If you are unlucky the check in could also take around 15-20

So be at the airport at least 1,5 hour before departure but be on the safe side and be there 2 hours before.

If you plan to take a taxi around 8-8:30 you will be okay..

Maybe I'm to carefully but better be at the airport in good time than stress around

THANKS. That should make my 12 noon flight easier to catch. (know there is security a CPH but if I am at the airport I will not worry to much)

If it's any consolation, the only flight we could get out is at 10am so we'll try to be first off the boat. :o

I hope once these sailings commence, people will report back & we'll have a better idea of the issues at hand.

If it's any consolation, the only flight we could get out is at 10am so we'll try to be first off the boat. :o

I hope once these sailings commence, people will report back & we'll have a better idea of the issues at hand.

Wow, good luck with that! Hopefully you're in the Haven and the concierge can make sure you're first off the ship. I suppose it's doable if you don't have to search for your bags and have a car waiting for you. But even if that's the case I would say the earliest you're going to get to the airport is 8-8:30?

Just a bonus info.

The airport has experienced massive growt over the last few years and capacity during the busy summer days has been at limit.

The airport does everything it can, the new central security area is expanding and should open before the summer and they are also expanding the terminals and building a new pier.

But these projects are a few years into the future.

Point is that you should probably allow yourself plenty of time at the airport

On the busy days the lines at security can be around 15-20 minutes long.

About the same at the passport check, unless you have the E passport and therefore can use the E-gates.

If you are unlucky the check in could also take around 15-20

So be at the airport at least 1,5 hour before departure but be on the safe side and be there 2 hours before.

If you plan to take a taxi around 8-8:30 you will be okay..

Maybe I'm to carefully but better be at the airport in good time than stress around

Thanks so much!! Great information. Yes, we like to be early rather than rushing and stressed.

Looking forward to two days in Copenhagen pre cruise.

I've been researching the disembarkation from the Getaway and have decided, all the problems had to do with Miami. Getting off in CPH should be a lot easier. Hopefully there will be enough taxis for everyone.

Thanks for the input. I wonder if it is a good idea to arrange a car to the airport ahead of time?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Private cars are allowed, its just that the flow of taxies are regulated to not create unneccesary traffic.

So you can't prebook a taxi from the pierbut there should be plenty at the terminals.

It's of course possible to prebook a taxi to the pier.

So if you hire a private car (more expensive) that will not be a problem.

Danish Viking: Does this mean I can hire a car service and ask them to come to the port and take us to the airport?

I understand about the Taxis because passengers getting off the ship will just grab any taxi and it will be difficult to say, "That is MY Taxi!!" However, is there a spot where a Car Service can wait for their passengers?

Wow, good luck with that! Hopefully you're in the Haven and the concierge can make sure you're first off the ship. I suppose it's doable if you don't have to search for your bags and have a car waiting for you. But even if that's the case I would say the earliest you're going to get to the airport is 8-8:30?

The itinerary shows 7am Debarkation, so I'm crossing my fingers.

It's on a United partner & with all their woes, if we miss, maybe they'll be more receptive to rebooking. :loudcry:

Will still watch for early reports to gauge reality.

Danish Viking: Does this mean I can hire a car service and ask them to come to the port and take us to the airport?

I understand about the Taxis because passengers getting off the ship will just grab any taxi and it will be difficult to say, "That is MY Taxi!!" However, is there a spot where a Car Service can wait for their passengers?

I think that they can use the same parking space next to the terminals or else there is a parking lot between terminal 1 and 2 that also can be used.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. I will hire a car service to make sure our large family gets to the airport for our early flight. I don't want to take a chance on waiting for two large taxis. I was thinking of getting the transfer from NCL, however, there is still a need to wait until the bus is full before they drive to the airport.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I will be on NCL Breakaway in August. The itinerary shows the ship arrives back in Copenhagen at 7am. Our flight is at 10:50am. We are planning to self-disembark and so will keep our luggage with us. Will the ship allow us off right at 7am? Do we need to go through immigration (the ship starts the cruise in Copenhagen)? We are planning to take a taxi when we get off the ship. Any tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi ncoovadia:

I had the same problem and needed to get off the ship ASAP. We were on line at about 6 and off the ship at 7. There was no immigration and we walked right off the ship. Make sure you look for the exit to the Taxis. We were almost the first off and there was no line for the taxis.

The airport was chaotic and there was no one to tell us which lines to get on. You know you are cutting it close with a 10:50 flight.

Hi ncoovadia:

I had the same problem and needed to get off the ship ASAP. We were on line at about 6 and off the ship at 7. There was no immigration and we walked right off the ship. Make sure you look for the exit to the Taxis. We were almost the first off and there was no line for the taxis.

The airport was chaotic and there was no one to tell us which lines to get on. You know you are cutting it close with a 10:50 flight.

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately the air line change the time to earlier and so now we have no choice since the flight is non-refundable... Is there a reason why the airport is so chaotic? I read that in some other threads too.