No more adult only aft pools?

Now they've come and farked up the only pool I use and there is nobody else left to help me fight.

Have two words for you....Norwegian Escape. And yes, they have an area similar to Serenity called H2O as well as their main pool being adults only for most of the day.

So kids snorkeling is misbehaving? Kids being loud is misbehaving? Seems to me that kids playing = misbehavior? ???. I don't know what you mean about the ice cream, all I have seen is kids making their own ice cream and over pulling it and making a mess. Personally I get the ice cream for my kids. But I expect kids to be messy.

Many people in this thread say that kids act crazy or misbehave in the pool. Can you please explain this to me? I have never seen this on any cruise I have been on. I sit on the edge of the pool and watch my children at all times. I don't like to be splash but it happens. I don't expect to sit near a pool and not ever get splashed.

My personal pet peeve is kids in snorkel gear in the hot tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So kids snorkeling is misbehaving? Kids being loud is misbehaving? Seems to me that kids playing = misbehavior? ???. I don't know what you mean about the ice cream, all I have seen is kids making their own ice cream and over pulling it and making a mess. Personally I get the ice cream for my kids. But I expect kids to be messy.

Kids snorkeling in a pool or hot tub? Yes, that's misbehaving. Snorkels are made for open water to look at the life below the sea, not for staring at people's toes and whatnot. Also, one needs room to snorkel and a pool full of people does not provide that room. Throwing balls in a crowded pool is also misbehaving. Being loud in a public setting is also misbehaving. Failure to understand these things shows where the problem lies with our kids......their parents aren't teaching them proper manners for a public setting.

Kids snorkeling in a pool or hot tub? Yes, that's misbehaving. Snorkels are made for open water to look at the life below the sea, not for staring at people's toes and whatnot. Also, one needs room to snorkel and a pool full of people does not provide that room. Throwing balls in a crowded pool is also misbehaving. Being loud in a public setting is also misbehaving. Failure to understand these things shows where the problem lies with our kids......their parents aren't teaching them proper manners for a public setting.

I often wonder if some folks are born age 70. They seem to forget what the stages of life are about, or they, themselves, didn't have the experience of being 10 or 17 or even 30. They are born old with the crankiness and self righteous attitudes that give "old" people such a bad rap. Luckily as I approach the later years of my life my memory is still intact and I know what it was like to be a child, a teenager, a curious young adult, a parent....basically a normal person.

Children, due to the fact that they are children, are energetic and overly enthusiastic. They move a lot, they need to burn off excess energy, they like to play and run and jump, they are curious. They aren't made to sit still with their arms folded and their feet crossed for more than a few minutes...to them that's unnatural and a bit of punishment. Teenagers, by nature and the fact that cause and effect are the last things that develop in our brains, are often loud and obnoxious and somewhat self-centered. This is all normal.

Carnival, as has been stated often, has developed a family friendly cruise experience and they work hard catering to kids and young parents because they are the cruisers of the future and will keep the industry afloat for years to come. That has been developing more and more over the last decades, as ships have been designed to embrace them. If long term "older" passengers can't see that then they aren't attuned to Carnival's business plan.

Just like on land consumers have an obvious choice....no one is "forcing" them to continue patronizing an establishment that has "changed" over the years to move into a different direction. I can remember cruising when you didn't see but a handful of people under 40 because the ships and their forced "refined" attitude just didn't appeal to the younger set and, face it, people under 40 didn't have the time or the financial means to "cruise" while many retirees did. Now it is different. Families work hard to get and afford vacations and they want vacations that appeal to all members and can provide the services and activities that work within their age groups.

Luckily for many "older" individuals (and those that still like their cruises and vacations to be lazy and quiet and adult) there are still ships and lines that cater to them...when was the last time anyone saw a bunch of kids on a Viking experience. Carnival has chosen to update their business plan and move in a different direction as the corporation had acquired more cruise lines. They have pretty much left Holland America for the "genteel" crowd so people who want that experience can have it, and rightly so.

As far as parents wanting an adult area on a ship so that they can "get away" from their own kids who they choose to travel with, well that says more about the scope of their parenting. Obviously I was lucky. One vacation a year was about "the kids" and we did that whole-heartedly. The other vacation was about "the adults" and we left the kids home. Worked out beautifully.

I often wonder if some folks are born age 70. They seem to forget what the stages of life are about, or they, themselves, didn't have the experience of being 10 or 17 or even 30. They are born old with the crankiness and self righteous attitudes that give "old" people such a bad rap. Luckily as I approach the later years of my life my memory is still intact and I know what it was like to be a child, a teenager, a curious young adult, a parent....basically a normal person.

Children, due to the fact that they are children, are energetic and overly enthusiastic. They move a lot, they need to burn off excess energy, they like to play and run and jump, they are curious. They aren't made to sit still with their arms folded and their feet crossed for more than a few minutes...to them that's unnatural and a bit of punishment. Teenagers, by nature and the fact that cause and effect are the last things that develop in our brains, are often loud and obnoxious and somewhat self-centered. This is all normal.

Carnival, as has been stated often, has developed a family friendly cruise experience and they work hard catering to kids and young parents because they are the cruisers of the future and will keep the industry afloat for years to come. That has been developing more and more over the last decades, as ships have been designed to embrace them. If long term "older" passengers can't see that then they aren't attuned to Carnival's business plan.

Just like on land consumers have an obvious choice....no one is "forcing" them to continue patronizing an establishment that has "changed" over the years to move into a different direction. I can remember cruising when you didn't see but a handful of people under 40 because the ships and their forced "refined" attitude just didn't appeal to the younger set and, face it, people under 40 didn't have the time or the financial means to "cruise" while many retirees did. Now it is different. Families work hard to get and afford vacations and they want vacations that appeal to all members and can provide the services and activities that work within their age groups.

Luckily for many "older" individuals (and those that still like their cruises and vacations to be lazy and quiet and adult) there are still ships and lines that cater to them...when was the last time anyone saw a bunch of kids on a Viking experience. Carnival has chosen to update their business plan and move in a different direction as the corporation had acquired more cruise lines. They have pretty much left Holland America for the "genteel" crowd so people who want that experience can have it, and rightly so.

As far as parents wanting an adult area on a ship so that they can "get away" from their own kids who they choose to travel with, well that says more about the scope of their parenting. Obviously I was lucky. One vacation a year was about "the kids" and we did that whole-heartedly. The other vacation was about "the adults" and we left the kids home. Worked out beautifully.

Your post shows a great understanding of Carnival and the cruise industry. What would make it easier for loyal cruisers of Carnival to "move on" to Holland America or Cunard would be if their loyalty status were honoured by the Sister Cruise Lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your post shows a great understanding of Carnival and the cruise industry. What would make it easier for loyal cruisers of Carnival to "move on" to Holland America or Cunard would be if their loyalty status were honoured by the Sister Cruise Lines.

Now that would be something to actually "petition" Carnival corporation for....energy, effort and time well spent.

No. It is kids being kids. And the adults-only pools give us a place away from kids being kids. There are plenty of places they are allowed to be. We want one without.

Library has always been easy to find on any ship I've been on.

We have used the library, but it's not always quiet. I've heard some pretty loud adults playing cards and board games in there. And, being in the library is not a good plan when she's feeling a bit seasick and needs some fresh air and a breeze.

i am going to defend the "kid"....Its not the kids fault that they take snorkeling gear into the hot tub or do 100 different things that could be considered "annoying"....Kids are going to be kids (please note, there is a difference in being rambunctious, loud as opposed to being destructive). They are not supposed to know what is acceptable behavior as far as splashing, yelling, etc....My issue is with the parents. I am older, my kids are grown but what i noticed today (again, generalization, not saying ALL parents) are some parents dont like to use a very very important word in our language....NO. Tell your snowflake "NO", that is how they learn....If they are being rambunctious in a setting they shouldnt be rambunctious in, tell them "NO"!!!! Many parents of today are of the mindset of their little angel needs to express themselves and explore the wonders of the world to stimulate their senses. They dont like using the "NO" word as they may upset their bundle of joy and somehow stunt their personal growth (SMH)....S here is the setting. If i was on a cruise with my 8 yr old and i see him/her putting on their snorkel gear and start walking over to a hot tub of 6 adults hanging out, i would say NO....go into the other pool with the kids....That is common sense. I guess some parents are of the mindset of "this is MY child and i will let MY child do what MY child wants to do"....so if little Johnny puts on the snorkel gear and goes into a hot tub full of adults and his parents dont stop him or tell him NO, he thinks that is fine. Years ago, one of the adults would tell little Johnny "get your snowflake butt out of here and go with the other kids" and it would be done....If that happened today, little Johnny would go back crying to mommy or daddy and the parents would approach the person who told little Johnnie to take a hike and start out with "dont yell at my kid, this is his vacation and he can do whatever he wants"....So little Johnnie thinks he was right because mommy and daddy says he can do whatever he wants....sad

Edited by First and Ten

You mean to tell me you have never seen a bunch of kids in a hot tub with snorkels and masks?

I have been to countless land resorts with hot tubs and on a couple cruises with hot tubs and while I've seen kids in the tubs, I can say that I have never seen a kid with a snorkel and mask in a hot tub.

My issue is with the parents. I am older, my kids are grown but what i noticed today (again, generalization, not saying ALL parents) are some parents dont like to use a very very important word in our language....NO. I guess some parents are of the mindset of "this is MY child and i will let MY child do what MY child wants to do"

Wonder where all these "parents" who don't know how to parent correctly came from. They didn't just appear out of thin air. Maybe it has something to do with how they were raised and trained by their parents....you know the baby boomers who came out of a world war, Korea, and Vietnam.

There have always been over-indulgent parents, slack parents, up-tight parents, controlling parents...parenting is not a new concept and my grandparents probably had their knickers in a wad watching my parents raise me.

This board is famous, or infamous as the case may be, by posting all the negatives they observe and not, often, posting about the good things that go on around them. For every one over indulged child there are a dozen more who have respect for their elders and who "play" by the rules. As others have commented the brazen acts of children's behavior are not always the norm. I have been on spring break cruises with 2000 kids under the age of 18.....and they have been enjoyable and fun and relaxing. But then I have learned a great deal of tolerance over 70 years and a couple of loud mouthed Johnnys and Janes don't ruin my cruise...those same Johnnys and Janes are noisy in the grocery store, can't be quiet at the movies, or run the sidewalks as though they are the only person using them....but then you also see hundreds of kids who have manners at a restaurant, walk sedately in public places, listen to their parents.

People would react better to posters who don't generalize in their condemnations...who actually just state their opinions without resorting to the lowest common denominator as their examples. Okay, you may "like" adult only areas...and many people do, nothing wrong with that. But vilifying a whole generation to get your point across isn't the reasonable way to do it.

People would react better to posters who don't generalize in their condemnations...who actually just state their opinions without resorting to the lowest common denominator as their examples. Okay, you may "like" adult only areas...and many people do, nothing wrong with that. But vilifying a whole generation to get your point across isn't the reasonable way to do it.

Vilify? Not even close....I am the first to say its not the kids fault they are annoying, i put that on the parents. I also stated it wasnt ALL the parents....My personal opinion is i dont care about the actual pool....If i get hot hanging out on deck, i will literally jump in for 15 seconds to cool off and I am out, whether kids were in the pool or just adults. Am i a full supporter of the Serenity area, absolutely. That is my opinion. I dont hate kids, i just dont want to hang out with them. Would i not cruise carnival because there isnt an adult only pool, No. would i consider not cruising Carnival if they decided to do away with the Serenity area....Yes

Didnt realize the aft pool didnt allow children. On Magic, not only were children in the pool, they were also in the hottubs. Didnt see anyone making a stink over it.

There has never been a rule on the Magic or the other Dream class ships that children were not allowed in the aft pool or hot tubs.

. I dont hate kids, i just dont want to hang out with them. Would i not cruise carnival because there isnt an adult only pool, No. would i consider not cruising Carnival if they decided to do away with the Serenity area....Yes

;)And they probably don't want to hang out with you so you would be best served to stay out of areas where they are allowed. Kids can easily sense antagonism in adults. They are pretty smart that way.

Man this is the best post of the whole thread. They're sure some uptight people on this thread that forgot what it was like to be kids. My two kids are very well behaved, but get them on vacation, and around others where they are excited and amped up they may be a lil loud or excited. It's called being a freaking kid.

What it really boils down to is this. The old miserable people complaining about this rule, are either cheap, or broke, and they cruise carnival because it's the cheapest option. They complain about every little change, but never once will you hear a peep from them about the fact that carnival hasn't changed the basic price of a cruise in 25 years. Yes you don't get a piece of candy on your pillow anymore.(talk about acting like a child) Yes there's no more table cloths.(its actually quite dated, most land restaurants are moving away from them.) yes your key card goes to your mailbox now. etc etc etc. these people with 5,000 10,000 20,000 posts have nothing better to do, then bellyache and complain about every little change. The one thing they won't do is put their money where their mouth is, and go to a different line, because at the end of the day you still get the most bang for your buck on carnival.

;)And they probably don't want to hang out with you so you would be best served to stay out of areas where they are allowed. Kids can easily sense antagonism in adults. They are pretty smart that way.

Spare me the condescending attitude of you know kids better than me, you have no idea if you do or dont....No where in my post did i even infer that it is my objective to "antagonize" them. So it seems you are reaching to pick a fight. Kids want to play, they are noisy, they do what kids are supposed to do. that is what being a kid is about. If someone is hanging out by the main pool complaining about the kids and the noise, that person is in the wrong, that is one of the main hubs for kids, that is their domain. If you want quiet, move someplace else

Wonder where all these "parents" who don't know how to parent correctly came from. They didn't just appear out of thin air. Maybe it has something to do with how they were raised and trained by their parents....you know the baby boomers who came out of a world war, Korea, and Vietnam.

There have always been over-indulgent parents, slack parents, up-tight parents, controlling parents...parenting is not a new concept and my grandparents probably had their knickers in a wad watching my parents raise me.

This board is famous, or infamous as the case may be, by posting all the negatives they observe and not, often, posting about the good things that go on around them. For every one over indulged child there are a dozen more who have respect for their elders and who "play" by the rules. As others have commented the brazen acts of children's behavior are not always the norm. I have been on spring break cruises with 2000 kids under the age of 18.....and they have been enjoyable and fun and relaxing. But then I have learned a great deal of tolerance over 70 years and a couple of loud mouthed Johnnys and Janes don't ruin my cruise...those same Johnnys and Janes are noisy in the grocery store, can't be quiet at the movies, or run the sidewalks as though they are the only person using them....but then you also see hundreds of kids who have manners at a restaurant, walk sedately in public places, listen to their parents.

Thank you. I always direct my kids to use the hot tub that already has kids, I have a strict no splashing in hot tubs rule (which my kids have tried to enforce on other kids), and we never cannonball if anyone is in the splash zone (which basically means no cannonballing in tiny cruise pools). For the most part, the kids that I see on the ships are behaving pretty decently for kids. Sometimes parents are too indulgent/tired/selfish/etc. And sometimes people forget what THEY were like as children, back in the old days.

I would also like to point out that sometimes the Johnnys and Janeys who are loudmouths or can't control their bodies actually do have challenges that have nothing to do with the type of parenting they received or the content of their character --- autism, Tourette's Syndrome, developmental disabilities, etc. And sometimes those kids are over stimulated on a cruise. They're also sometimes especially overstimulated at the lido pool with the music blasting, which is why the aft pools can be a nice option. :)

OMG! These posts. Why can't people respect others opinions? I personally think that the aft pool should be adult only pools. Does that make me a bad person nope! I booked the Magic last year knowing they didn't have an all adult pool and I am cool with that. I did get a balcony room where I can retreat to when I get tired of the noise. Heck, I would love to gamble, but so much smoke is in the casino that I can't deal. Does that mean i need to book with another cruise line...NOPE. I know what I am getting into before booking. So for those who say, book another cruise line...well I have alot invested in Carnival so why should I at this point start all over? Does it make me a bad person because I would love to get into a pool and not be splashed endlessly? NOPE.

This is the only part of your post I didn't agree with. There is nothing wrong with an adult area to be away from kids in general. Just like kids have a kids area/camp. And why does it have to be "one or the other" - so radical.... it's either ALL about the kids, or leave the kids home? Come on! Carnival (and most cruise lines) create an experience that helps you balance both and provide a great vacation for all. This includes an adult only area while the kids are having a blast at camp!

Agree. Most changes don't upset me but this definitely does.

I wish there was a way they could relocate or partition off the eating places back there and make the whole area Serenity instead of having it all the way forward.

Time for Royal and the awesome adults only Solarium ;p

It`s very simple. There should be adult areas and kid areas. Just because many of us prefer an adults only area, that doesn't mean we hate children. We've raised ours and,while we will lounge in the area with kids, there will be times that we prefer an area where we can be free of the running,jumping and splashing that kids have always done, and that includes the hot tubs. Those of you with kids will understand this point of view when you travel without them. Its a matter of life experience, and you'll eventually get past this "age shaming" phase of your life. It's the one reason we cruise during school season, but more and more families are pulling their kids out for a week, education be damned. Admittedly, of all the changes and cutbacks we've encountered in a decade of cruising with Carnival, this latest move will open up options elsewhere. My instinct (and nothing more)tells me that down the line, even the Serenity will eventually convert to a family area as well.