Questions from my spinning brain

njaloha

Planning Ferry to Hamilton, #3 Bus to Crystal Caves, Lunch at Swizzle, Walk over to the Rail Trail. Wander a bit. Catch #10 or #11 at Fractious back to Hamilton.

How do I know when the bus will pass Fractious St?

OR

Are there taxis that wander around looking for folks to want rides from the Swizzle? or nearby?

Was thinking of stopping at Shelley Beach for a dip. Is Shelley Beach nice? Facilities?

Are all beaches pink in Bermuda? or just HBB? This could be considered a stupid question but I've only been to Bermuda once, in mid '80s when I was single on the QEII inside cabin. I don't remember much except getting burned. :o

Unless you selected the route #3 bus for a particular reason, bus routes #10 or #11 will get you to the caves quicker; and as an added bonus, you'll learn the location of the Swizzle Inn because the bus will drop you in front of the SI. See map below:

MapToCavesV2.jpg

Since the inbound routes #10 or #11 buses depart St George's every 15 minutes, your wait at the inbound bus stop would be no more than 15 minutes. The routes #10 or #11 buses run until 11.45pm.

As for the taxis wandering about, I don't think so but you could call a taxi company for a pick up.

As for Shelly Bay, I remember an announcement (last year I think) that there would be improvements there, but I don't recall a completion announcement.

As for pink sand, it is only found at South Shore beaches. Horseshoe Bay is on the South Shore.

SBtS

Thanks, SBtS.

I don't know why I picked the #3. #10 or 11 clearly makes more sense both from the distance and the view. Every 15 minutes sounds great. I can work with that. And the news about calling a taxi is good too. thanks.

RE: caves to swizzle, I noticed from Google maps that there's actually a path from the bus stop to the caves with little signs directing guests to the caves and then from the caves back to the bus stop. It originates in the parking lot of Bailey's Bay Ice Cream Parlor. You don't have to go out to Wilkinson Ave. Wish I was clever with the image capture skills or I'd show you here.

RE: Shelley Bay Beach - looks like the owners of Snorkel Park Beach submitted proposals back in 2015 according to an article I read from June 2015. After some googling, I found that the restaurant plans were approved in May of 2016 but prior to the approval, there was strong opposition and protest over the proposed plans to add parking at the improvement of the beach area and conversion of the existing structure into a restaurant.

I didn't see any further news on the project more recent than May 2016. Only one mention from August 2015 that projected timeframe would be summer 2016.

Again, thanks for your help.

:)

Thanks for the info on the path to the caves; I did not know anything about it or seen it mentioned here on CC.,

You did a lot of research on Shelly Bay Beach. I remembered the original proposal but as I wrote what happened after that I had no recall.

I'll have to get a satellite photo of the path to augment my map.

Thanks again,

SBtS

Thanks, SBtS.

I don't know why I picked the #3. #10 or 11 clearly makes more sense both from the distance and the view. Every 15 minutes sounds great. I can work with that. And the news about calling a taxi is good too. thanks.

RE: caves to swizzle, I noticed from Google maps that there's actually a path from the bus stop to the caves with little signs directing guests to the caves and then from the caves back to the bus stop. It originates in the parking lot of Bailey's Bay Ice Cream Parlor. You don't have to go out to Wilkinson Ave. Wish I was clever with the image capture skills or I'd show you here.

RE: Shelley Bay Beach - looks like the owners of Snorkel Park Beach submitted proposals back in 2015 according to an article I read from June 2015. After some googling, I found that the restaurant plans were approved in May of 2016 but prior to the approval, there was strong opposition and protest over the proposed plans to add parking at the improvement of the beach area and conversion of the existing structure into a restaurant.

I didn't see any further news on the project more recent than May 2016. Only one mention from August 2015 that projected timeframe would be summer 2016.

Again, thanks for your help.

:)

I have walked from the caves to the Swizzle. Pretty easy.

You can't count on wandering taxis but that is possible. When I have waited for buses it has happened that a taxi stopped and asked if we wanted a ride. At John Smith's Bay which is a South Shore beach not far from the caves and Swizzle we got a wandering taxi waiting at the bus stop. Also as taxis are coming to and from the Swizzle and Caves after drop offs there are available taxis around.

Shelly Bay is shallow, no waves, and has a playground. That makes it a good beach for young children. It is a nice uncrowded beach but not as beautiful as the South Shore beaches. There are bathrooms but no chair rentals and the like. I suspect that while local residents of the neighborhood would not mind some improvements, better bathrooms, they would oppose what the Snorkel Park people have in mind.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for the info on the path to the caves; I did not know anything about it or seen it mentioned here on CC.,

You did a lot of research on Shelly Bay Beach. I remembered the original proposal but as I wrote what happened after that I had no recall.

Thanks again,

SBtS

Ah, no big deal. Just a little googling.....:cool: I love research.

I bumped into some stuff about how the Shelly Bay area has some interesting history in ship building and horse racing. But I can't find it again.

Shelly Bay Beach House has a Facebook page but nothing posted since January 2016.

I saw posts about how it's not the prettiest beach but a video that I found showed it is gorgeous. WITH SHADE!!!!! I like that. ;)

I have walked from the caves to the Swizzle. Pretty easy.

You can't count on wandering taxis but that is possible. When I have waited for buses it has happened that a taxi stopped and asked if we wanted a ride. At John Smith's Bay which is a South Shore beach not far from the caves and Swizzle we got a wandering taxi waiting at the bus stop. Also as taxis are coming to and from the Swizzle and Caves after drop offs there are available taxis around.

Shelly Bay is shallow, no waves, and has a playground. That makes it a good beach for young children. It is a nice uncrowded beach but not as beautiful as the South Shore beaches. There are bathrooms but no chair rentals and the like. I suspect that while local residents of the neighborhood would not mind some improvements, better bathrooms, they would oppose what the Snorkel Park people have in mind.

Thanks again,

SBtS

HEY GUYS! LOOK WHAT I FOUND - February 2017 - construction underway. :D

http://bernews.com/2017/02/shelly-bay-beach-house-undergoing-renovations/

And Charles4515 - thanks for the info on the taxis and pathway experience. :cool: