NCL Escape 3/25-4/1 Family Trip Report

cookie*

Thanks for your great review. I really enjoyed reading it. I have a question about your Blue Lagoon experience. Were the bathroom facilities there clean? Was there an attendant?

You know, I almost completely forgot about the bathrooms. I was thinking we must have used the bathrooms if we were there from 1:15-5:30, but I could not remember anything about them. I am somewhat of a bathroom snob, always have been, so this question was killing me-how could I not remember? Then I googled Blue Lagoon bathrooms and found a picture by Mitsugirly and ahhhhha! That's it! We did use the bathrooms and they were fine. Older looking but clean. My daughter who is also a bathroom snob didn't like the looks of them at first but she was fine with them too. No attendant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You know, I almost completely forgot about the bathrooms. I was thinking we must have used the bathrooms if we were there from 1:15-5:30, but I could not remember anything about them. I am somewhat of a bathroom snob, always have been, so this question was killing me-how could I not remember? Then I googled Blue Lagoon bathrooms and found a picture by Mitsugirly and ahhhhha! That's it! We did use the bathrooms and they were fine. Older looking but clean. My daughter who is also a bathroom snob didn't like the looks of them at first but she was fine with them too. No attendant.

Thank you. To use your term, I am sort of a "bathroom snob" too. It's difficult for me to travel to places if I can't be reasonably assured that there are clean facilities available. I wish I could be more flexible. I have a friend who has traveled all over the world...she's been on every continent except Antarctica. And she's shown me some photos of the facilities where it was really rough (even for her). For example, she was in Tibet at a mountain climbing base camp with a 'stand-up' toilet (tiled hole in the ground) that was full and needed emptying. Yikes. Even here in South Florida, we had an eye-opener once during a major hurricane when there was no running water or sewer services for several days. It truly humbles you and makes you grateful for what you have, and hopeful you will never lose it. That said, I know Bahamas are not as remote as Tibet, but I have seen some less than decent bathroom facilities in some places I've cruised to. Thanks for your response.

You did absolutely the best thing having your DD checked out. Two years ago my dear 3 year old granddaughter was hit in the head by a metal pole from an outdoor toy. It was a freak accident but after a few tears she seemed ok. A few days later her mother discovered a swelling in her head at the site. We took her to the ER and found out she had a skull fracture but they felt that she just needed to go home and rest. They advised us what to look for if further problems arose. The next morning she was vomiting repeatedly and listless. We headed off to the ER again (should have called 911) and within about an hour she was in surgery as there was bleading near the brain. She could have lapsed into a coma had we not reacted within several hours. Thank God she is a happy, well little 5 year old now. She does, however, still have issues anytime she bumps her head as she remembers what happened and she can be overly fearful.

Cookie!!!!! Wow! I am taking this exact cruise in 32 days with my DD (17), DD (7) what does the D stand for anyway? Dear? And my mom (72) and her traveling buddy! Spent the past three days reading your review! Loved it! Glad your daughter is okay. My oldest suffered a concussion year before last, missed three months (on and off) of school, marching band and still is in the care of a neurologist! Concussions are no joke!!! Glad to know there will be life guards!

Loved all the do's and must sees! I hope my 7 year old like splash as much as yours. We went on Royal Caribbean last summer and she did not like the kids club.

Cookie you have given us so much information. I am traveling with my adult daughter, 7 yr olg grand daughter, 17 yr old grand daughter & my travel buddy. Can't wait til June 17th! Love reading your post. Thanks for taking so much time! NCL should hire you! I think you havr answered ALL of my questions!

You did absolutely the best thing having your DD checked out.

Thank you. And what a scary thing to happen with a toy of all things!

Cookie!!!!! Wow! I am taking this exact cruise in 32 days with my DD (17), DD (7) what does the D stand for anyway? Dear? And my mom (72) and her traveling buddy! Spent the past three days reading your review! Loved it! Glad your daughter is okay. My oldest suffered a concussion year before last, missed three months (on and off) of school, marching band and still is in the care of a neurologist! Concussions are no joke!!! Glad to know there will be life guards!

Loved all the do's and must sees! I hope my 7 year old like splash as much as yours. We went on Royal Caribbean last summer and she did not like the kids club.

I guess kids clubs aren't for everyone, but I hope she likes Splash! What did she have to say about RCI? Yes, the D stands for "dear." It is something I picked up from some of the Disney boards. And another concussion story! My goodness, I do feel better about feeling completely freaked out. I am SO glad NCL will hire lifeguards.

Cookie you have given us so much information. I am traveling with my adult daughter, 7 yr olg grand daughter, 17 yr old grand daughter & my travel buddy. Can't wait til June 17th! Love reading your post. Thanks for taking so much time! NCL should hire you! I think you havr answered ALL of my questions!

I'm glad you found it helpful! I am sure you will have a great trip. I had so many questions before our trip and wanted to create a report that would illustrate the flow of each day.

I loved reading your review. Thank you. We are traveling without kids, but loved your writing style. So much fun...keep it up. I have never been on The Escape, but have done A LOT of NCL cruises. One thing freaked me out...you mentioned no coffee. :eek: I can't go without my coffee. All of the other NCL ships have had coffee makers in the cabins if you are in a balcony or above. Did you not have a coffee maker???? I'm enough of a coffee snob that I bring my own, but now am worried. We are on The Escape in two weeks for two weeks in an aft facing balcony cabin.

I loved reading your review. Thank you. We are traveling without kids, but loved your writing style. So much fun...keep it up. I have never been on The Escape, but have done A LOT of NCL cruises. One thing freaked me out...you mentioned no coffee. :eek: I can't go without my coffee. All of the other NCL ships have had coffee makers in the cabins if you are in a balcony or above. Did you not have a coffee maker???? I'm enough of a coffee snob that I bring my own, but now am worried. We are on The Escape in two weeks for two weeks in an aft facing balcony cabin.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the report. YES! We had a little coffee maker in the room. We didn't have bottled water though so it seemed like a hassle to go to Garden Cafe to get fresh filtered water and then back to room to brew a cup of coffee when we could have fresh coffee delivered straight to the room each morning...

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the report. YES! We had a little coffee maker in the room. We didn't have bottled water though so it seemed like a hassle to go to Garden Cafe to get fresh filtered water and then back to room to brew a cup of coffee when we could have fresh coffee delivered straight to the room each morning...

Thank you that relieved my mind. For your next cruise you might want to know that the water in your sink is filtered. It is the same water they serve in the restaurants.

Many thanks for your review and the scanning of the daily sheets, just a few questions if you or someone could help me out, we will have 2 kids with us on our forthcoming cruise october, 1 will be 11 in splash academy the other 16 in entourage, what time in the evening do their clubs open as we are trying to plan our bookings for meals and shows, also is it okay to go barefoot through the baths at tortola, many thanks in advance.

You all took yours kids to Spice H2O at night ... is it only adult only during the day? Just wondering ... my kids would love that grotto!!!

How is DD? Head healed?

DD had no further issues, thanks for asking!

Yes, Spice H2O is open to families in the evening. There is typically a movie playing.

Many thanks for your review and the scanning of the daily sheets, just a few questions if you or someone could help me out, we will have 2 kids with us on our forthcoming cruise october, 1 will be 11 in splash academy the other 16 in entourage, what time in the evening do their clubs open as we are trying to plan our bookings for meals and shows, also is it okay to go barefoot through the baths at tortola, many thanks in advance.

Kids clubs open at 7PM. They are closed from 5-7.

Yes, barefoot is completely fine for the Baths and the Speedy's guides actually recommend barefoot. I used cheapo plastic flip flops for the hike to and from the Baths and I was fine, but some people might prefer a sturdy sandal. I wanted to keep our pack as light as possible so wore my flip flops.

• 11 months later...

Backing up a bit, I normally do a lot of research before booking a vacation but I sort of booked this one on a whim. DH and I decided about 2 months before the sail date that we wanted to cruise with our kids DS 9 and DD 5 to celebrate my 40th birthday. I had been on 3 cruises growing up and loved them, but the last was SS Norway in 1993 at the age of 16 and cruising has changed! We also vacationed in St John a few times growing up so I saw this trip as a way to relive childhood memories with my family. Of course cruising with kids the first thing I look up is a Disney cruise...and oh wait, sorry, my eyes popped out of my head and I needed to put them back. What the what?! We have been to Disney World 3 times without breaking the bank, but the Disney cruise prices?! I'm at a loss for words. OK, moving on. Also looked at Oasis of the Seas but a different week and didn't fit as well with our schedule. Looks like a really cool ship...or city...or shopping mall? All three in one? But wait, does it feel like a ship? Maybe I should look at NCL. Hmmm...the Escape...has a water park, waterfront sounds amazing-lots of opportunity to be by the water, and WHAT?! It is less expensive than Oasis AND comes with a drink package and another perk of choice?! SOLD and took the last BF Balcony stateroom available.

My very first cruise was the SS Norway in 1987!!! Fond memories of that ship!