NCL Escape 3/25-4/1 Family Trip Report

cookie*

Backing up a bit-I forgot to mention, our room had been turned down and we had our first towel animal!

09772EFC-3363-4C8F-95F3-29A682B664EC_zpsiszjxy82.jpg

We had a new towel animal each night which was super fun. We only got these little chocolates this one time.

862270FA-1815-457C-B08F-E3BF5D5961FA_zpsukjaxqgu.jpg

We also had a plate of chocolate covered strawberries which were delicious and very much appreciated!

We left off with heading to dinner with a tearful DD5-she was pulling herself together, but not her happiest by any means. Not to worry though, because the crew does not like seeing sad children-I think they would stand on their head if it would put a smile on their faces. The NCL crew has such a magical touch with the kids. We loved how they all called DD5 "baby" everywhere we went. Within seconds of arriving to Teppanyaki she was smiling a little and almost back to her happy self. I needed to go back to the room to get her sweater because she felt a chill. It can get chilly on the ship, so always have a sweater for your kids. I came back to a cocktail waiting. We were lucky to have the Washy Washy song guy as our server here. He is amazing-I wish I had caught his name! Anybody know his name?

When we checked in the hostess asked if we would be ordering off the adult menu for our son. I asked if we could decide inside because I first wanted to find out if the portions would be big enough to share and she said that was totally fine. Before I could even ask about the portion size our server said he was going to order chicken and udon for the kids to share. I thought this was exceptional service. I am telling you, the crew wants happy passengers. We were not Haven guests, we were not Vibe guests, but we always felt special everywhere we went. There was one exception to this but I won't get there until day 6. Bum bum bum! (insert foreboding music). Nancy knows what I am referring to because I ran into her after the incident and vented-thanks again Nancy!!! Seriously though we really felt that overall the NCL service was outstanding.

There was a camera guy who came around to take pictures that they try to sell to you later. DD5 was happier, but not quite herself yet and made a really cute but very cranky face in the picture and we both had looks of exasperation. It was a pretty classic picture and when they asked if we wanted to buy it we laughed and in unison said "No thank you" and a gentleman across from us yelled "I'll buy it!" The whole table had a good laugh. We also met the restaurant manager here, Estela. She was a lovely person and we enjoyed chatting with her. DH has been to the Philippines where she is from for work so they enjoyed sharing stories about where he had been. Little did we know we would end up seeing her every day after that in the Garden Cafe and she became one of our favorite crew members! She was even able to convince DD5 to drink her Miralax each day!

DD5 immediately cheered up at the sight of edamame, one of her favorites and she was back to her happy self for the rest of the evening. Our chef was wonderful and gave us a great show. The seating here is very comfortable and you don't feel like you are on top of each other like you can feel at some of the hibachi places back home. Our server brought me another cocktail before I needed to ask.

BA51C0C1-23BE-4FCA-8A95-C6D3949B9654_zpsprhktup4.jpg

The chef asked if the four of us wanted to share so we all shared everything we had ordered. We had filet, shrimp, chicken, scallops, and udon noodles. It was all wonderful and the dipping sauces were fantastic. My favorites were the steak and scallops.It was just about 7:10 when they said they would bring dessert, but we had tickets to 7:30 Brat Pack so we passed on dessert and DH took the kids to Splash and I went to get seats at the theater.

Seating is first come, first served. I found two seats midway down on the right side-the place was quickly filling up. I asked the people to my left and right to guard my seats while I waited at the top for DH so he could find me. He showed up just in time and we got in a line to go down back to our seats and we watched the lovely couple next to us defend our seats from several people! When we got there the man jokingly said "I could have sold those seats for a good price!" Hahaha! I love meeting people with a sense of humor! They were a really nice couple from Germany. We enjoyed the show-the stage has some pretty fun special effects.

We walked by the Atrium and the Newlywed not so Newlywed game show looked like fun, but we wanted to try the mojito bar. This was another favorite bar of ours! The bartenders are entertaining and the drinks are tasty.

16357A45-510D-454E-B330-A750C76C8035_zps5nrap1kd.jpg

My favorites were the raspberry and the one with ginger.

We picked the kids up at 10:30. DD5 thought it was amazing that they got to go in an elevator and walk around the ship in a parade. I think they went to the Garden Cafe?

This reminds me, earlier in the morning our son's age group went to the sport's court for games and we went and spied a little. He had no idea we were there. They all looked like they were having a blast with a relay race of sorts. I like that Splash Academy takes them to other parts of the ship for activities.

We picked the kids up at 10:15, grabbed our water bottles from the room and went to the Garden Cafe to get waters and the kids had a "late night snack." Then off to bed!

We decided to just order coffee and go to the Garden Cafe for breakfast.

76006B75-4E39-4990-A535-C300CB6DB14E_zpsqo8kqlzn.jpg

Here is what the breakfast room service tag looks like.

Up next: Day 3, 2nd sea day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cookie*

Glad to know the kids enjoyed the hibachi restaurant. We're looking forward to that too. Is there a charge for ordering breakfast from room service?

Yes, we loved the dinner! No, there is no charge for breakfast room service when ordering the continental breakfast items.

Great start! We were on the ship with you and had such a good time... sigh... where is my mojito?

We loved the mojito bar! The floating napkins always made me smile [emoji1]

What a great start to your review!

It was nice meeting you and your family (before and after)!

Can't wait to read the rest!

~ Nancy :)

So nice to meet you too!!! What is going on with JW and his report?!

I'm in - we sailed on the Escape with three kids in feb - ds7, ds10, dd12. We had a blast!

What was your favorite part of the ship? Did you have a favorite excursion or port day?

Thanks so much for your great review! Can't wait to read more. We have 67 more days to go!

You are also going to have an aaaah-may-zing time!

Following,..love your review, I hope to sail her someday soon.

Yes, you should book something!

JW has been crazy busy at work and keeps promising to work on his review. I don't like to nag, but I am just as anxious as everyone else to read it!

You're doing a great job in the interim, especially with regards to your kids and their activities (very helpful to so many on here)!

:)

Sailing the Escape in 16 days with my husband and almost 5 year old son. I have cruised twice before but my husband and son have not. I'm enjoying reading your report and it's definitely settling some anxiety for me. Can't wait to keep reading! And getting sooooo excited for our trip! 😎

Sailing the Escape in 16 days with my husband and almost 5 year old son. I have cruised twice before but my husband and son have not. I'm enjoying reading your report and it's definitely settling some anxiety for me. Can't wait to keep reading! And getting sooooo excited for our trip! [emoji41]

You are going to have a great time!!! I strongly recommend you plan on having your son go to Splash on the 3rd sea day from 10:00-12:00 to practice for the Splashtacular Extravaganza and then drop him off between 2-2:30 that afternoon to be in the show. I'm jumping ahead, but this show was PHENOMENAL! The people working at Splash Academy are exceptional at what they do. We were blown away by this show and it was clear the rest of the audience was as well and it was clear to us why our kids kept asking to go to Splash every day!

EC54F107-E1F8-4678-8E17-70C485EA0F4F_zpsrk9ewifh.jpg

84FF654C-7316-423D-B0AA-EAE2B37C059F_zpstzubftcl.jpg

Great! Thank you so much for all your tips! It's very much appreciated. Keep it coming!

You are going to have a great time!!! I strongly recommend you plan on having your son go to Splash on the 3rd sea day from 10:00-12:00 to practice for the Splashtacular Extravaganza and then drop him off between 2-2:30 that afternoon to be in the show. I'm jumping ahead, but this show was PHENOMENAL! The people working at Splash Academy are exceptional at what they do. We were blown away by this show and it was clear the rest of the audience was as well and it was clear to us why our kids kept asking to go to Splash every day!

EC54F107-E1F8-4678-8E17-70C485EA0F4F_zpsrk9ewifh.jpg

84FF654C-7316-423D-B0AA-EAE2B37C059F_zpstzubftcl.jpg

Enjoying your review very much! We were on the same sailing and had a wonderful week! I truly didn't expect my girls to love their respective clubs as much as they did but they really spent the majority of the time on ship with their new friends. I never played golf, as the area always seemed like chaos. Kids and wife loved the ropes course but admittedly I was more nervous than I thought I would be! LOL...in my defense, still recovering from 4 foot surgeries this Winter and I'm still in healing mode so I'm nervous to do something dumb to aggravate anything.

We adults frequently walked around the ship, burning calories. A few times I would have liked to sit for a few minutes out on those comfy couches, but yes, they were generally filled with people catching flies!? I assumed they likely had inside staterooms. The one night we finally found an open seating area to watch the sunset but it turned into a dud. Bummer.

I'm not a very good review writer, but I will say my family had a blast this sailing and we would consider sailing the Escape again for sure!

Great review so far! We took our kids on their first cruise also on the Escape last April. They loved it and are begging to cruise again! They were 6 & 9 at the time and they loved the slides and the pool, but by far our 6 year old son said his favorite part was the ice cream (I swear, he had a cone every time I turned around!). How did you like the Baths with your kids? We were on the same itinerary as you and we thought about doing the Baths but were alittle concerned about doing it on our own (I would prefer to do it that way) with the kids. Also thought about going to Spring Bay, I think it was called, which was a more accessible yet similar bay with a nice beach and beautiful setting but in the end, we went to swim with dolphins at Discovery Cove instead. ;) Maybe we will get to the Baths next time. Can't wait to hear more!

Enjoying your review very much! We were on the same sailing and had a wonderful week! I truly didn't expect my girls to love their respective clubs as much as they did but they really spent the majority of the time on ship with their new friends. I never played golf, as the area always seemed like chaos. Kids and wife loved the ropes course but admittedly I was more nervous than I thought I would be! LOL...in my defense, still recovering from 4 foot surgeries this Winter and I'm still in healing mode so I'm nervous to do something dumb to aggravate anything.

We adults frequently walked around the ship, burning calories. A few times I would have liked to sit for a few minutes out on those comfy couches, but yes, they were generally filled with people catching flies!? I assumed they likely had inside staterooms. The one night we finally found an open seating area to watch the sunset but it turned into a dud. Bummer.

I'm not a very good review writer, but I will say my family had a blast this sailing and we would consider sailing the Escape again for sure!

I'm so glad you had just as good a time! The ropes course was more challenging at times than I was expecting. The woman in front of me was downright terrified. I wasn't sure she was going to make it, but she hung in there!

Great review so far! We took our kids on their first cruise also on the Escape last April. They loved it and are begging to cruise again! They were 6 & 9 at the time and they loved the slides and the pool, but by far our 6 year old son said his favorite part was the ice cream (I swear, he had a cone every time I turned around!). How did you like the Baths with your kids? We were on the same itinerary as you and we thought about doing the Baths but were alittle concerned about doing it on our own (I would prefer to do it that way) with the kids. Also thought about going to Spring Bay, I think it was called, which was a more accessible yet similar bay with a nice beach and beautiful setting but in the end, we went to swim with dolphins at Discovery Cove instead. ;) Maybe we will get to the Baths next time. Can't wait to hear more!

We loved the Baths. Pros and Cons to doing it on your own. I have an interesting story about this that I will get to. Best way to see the Baths is when you are not on a ship. I probably would choose something else though next time. I think one of the sails to Jost and/or Norman Island would be better for this short port day.

Day 3

2nd Sea Day

Started the morning as usual on the balcony sipping on coffee and finishing up my journal from the afternoon/evening before. It was clear that today would be a much warmer day. In fact I think it got up to 90. DH joined me and we talked about highlights from the day before and what we thought about doing today. Even this was a highlight-just sitting on the balcony drinking coffee with the bright blue ocean ahead of us-no email, no face book, no texts from friends to respond to, just the two of us-oh wait, hold on kid voices disrupting me in the room-close that door and Ahhhhhhh-peace and quiet! We seriously loved being disconnected from the world. We heard that people who tried out the new social media plan were having trouble with set up etc and that speeds were slow.

2nd Day at Sea was my favorite ship day. We were getting a hang of things and at this point we felt we knew the ship pretty well. Although we still got confused with 6/7/8 along with everyone else. Just about every elevator ride we heard "is (such and such) 7 or 8?" "6 or 7?" There was a guide outside the elevators but it would have been helpful to have one on the inside as well. We also sometimes forgot we had taken the forward elevators until we tried to make our usual turn to our room and then needed to go the other way to the opposite end of the ship. Oopsie!

The elevator situation was somewhat quirky but not nearly as bad as I had thought based on earlier reports I had read. You have to push the call button on both sides but then once you are in the elevator it stops on floors without people because they too pushed both sides and no longer needed the lift. People became very good at pushing the close door button-kids as young as 3 managed the elevators like professionals. Although we once got in an elevator going down from 16 to 7 where a kid ran out having pushed ALL...OF...the buttons! Ugh! I bellied up to the close door button and zoom zoom down we went until whoops-I closed us out of the 7th floor! We got off at 6 and walked up a flight.

We encountered a lot of fun banter in the elevators-I really liked the people on our ship. People were friendly, considerate, and clearly having a good time. In the evenings people dressed up much more than I was expecting-more people dressed up than super casual-but if you need to walk through the ship in your daytime clothes (shorts, t-shirts, whatever) you won't be the only one underdressed and I think everyone feels comfortable.

13DCD468-E5B7-4460-9344-DF0658EA08D2_zpsw8uo41bm.jpg

If there was a cruise wear competition, this guy with flamingos and palm trees on his suit wins!

Alright, our plan for the day included the ropes course, water slides and 6:00 Oh What a Night-Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons Tribute complimentary dinner show in the Supper Club. I had seen Jersey Boys in the theater with a friend so was excited to see this show with my family. I wasn't totally sure what the kids would think, but Splash was closed until 7 so they had no choice!

At 8 AM we left our room wearing swimsuits under our clothes and also brought a bag with our closed toe shoes for the ropes course. This was going to be a pool/ropes/pool day for us. You need shoes that are closed in front and back and you need to be wearing a short sleeved shirt-no tank tops. No phones or cameras (other than mounted) and nothing in pockets. We headed straight to the pool to check out the chair situation. This gets to be a heated topic around here I've noticed. Like many others have reported the pool deck is disappointing. The slides and splash park are great, but the chairs were too close together and the pool bar was always mobbed. There is plenty of shade which we liked but it was not visually aesthetic at all. It didn't fit well with the rest of the ship-sort of like, "Oh shoot! We forgot about the pool area. Well, this will have to do."

Already at 8:15 there were a lot of chairs reserved with towels and bags. We went ahead and put some things down on some chairs in the shade and headed inside the Garden Cafe to get some breakfast. We were at breakfast for about 25 minutes and then back to our chairs which at that point had red timed tags with about 40 minutes remaining. At this point there were no empty chairs available that we could see-most were covered with towels an d bags and a few had people-and all of the chairs without people which was at least 90% of the chairs had the red tags. DS9 went straight to the aqua park and DD5 chose to lounge in the chairs with us. She didn't feel like swimming and asked if she could go to Splash Academy at 9 so DH took her. This worked out for us because it meant the three of us could go on the ropes course together at 10:00. DS played in the water until we told him it was time to head up to the ropes at about 9:45.

At that time a short line had already started to form. We chatted with the people in line ahead of us-they had tried to do this the day before and waited 45 minutes and then it closed due to the winds. If it is a windy day I would avoid the ropes and just plan to get there 15-20 min before they open on a nice day. We were within the first group of people to go up and once we were up we could see the line had started to weave around quite a bit. This was our first time doing a ropes course and it was fantastic! The zip lines were so fun and the planks were terrifyingly breathtaking. There was a camera guy at one of the zip lines and you can pull a rope on the plank and photo yourself. I liked there were multiple options for pathways so you didn't always have to be behind the same person all the time. We were all beaming when we got down. The little kid version looked really cute and we definitely wanted to come back with DD5 another time. The line was madness when we got off. I'm sure those people would be waiting at least an hour. Our total wait time was 10 minutes.

DH went and got DD 5 and we used the water park and had lunch. The burgers at the GC were pretty good! I enjoyed my blue cheese burger and liked the variety of toppings. Margaritaville was almost always empty-this would be great as an additional complimentary location, otherwise it seemed like a waste of space.

Kids went to Splash around 2ish and we went to the District Brew House.

6A150309-7578-43AA-9CDE-E1EB9D59BF7F_zps9jyp0msd.jpg

This is a very relaxing spot and they have an excellent beer list. We chatted with a really nice couple from Ohio and enjoyed relaxing.

Got the kids at 5 and got ready for dinner. We arrived to the Supper Club early and had our choice of seats and chose one of the round booths. The kids ended up loving this show! DD5 liked it so much the next day she named her new Caneel Bay stuffed turtle "Sherry" after the song.

4F76422B-5DF9-4D75-8450-3A9BCF36357D_zpscka9cn7d.jpg

Dinner is a fixed 3 course meal and there was not an option for the children's menu, although we didn't ask because our kids are pretty good eaters. We really enjoyed the food. Some people came and watched the show standby without a meal. They have limited extra seating in the back.

After the show the kids begged to go back to Splash for "Mission Impossible" night and DH and I went back to the Mojito Bar and then to the dueling pianos at Headliners again. We had to stand for a little while longer before seats opened up this time. Such a fun show.

We picked up the kids at 10:30 and they didn't want to leave. They begged us for "late night" but we had an early day in St Thomas so we made them come to bed. At home they are in bed around 8 or 8:30 so this was quite a different schedule for us!

We were really excited about our day tomorrow. Plan was to head to St John on our own. We were docking at 8AM and we wanted to try to catch the 9 AM ferry from Red Hook so we set our alarm for 6:30 (Ouch!) and also filled out a breakfast tag for 6:30-7:00.

Day 3

2nd Sea Day

Started the morning as usual on the balcony sipping on coffee and finishing up my journal from the afternoon/evening before. It was clear that today would be a much warmer day. In fact I think it got up to 90. DH joined me and we talked about highlights from the day before and what we thought about doing today. Even this was a highlight-just sitting on the balcony drinking coffee with the bright blue ocean ahead of us-no email, no face book, no texts from friends to respond to, just the two of us-oh wait, hold on kid voices disrupting me in the room-close that door and Ahhhhhhh-peace and quiet! We seriously loved being disconnected from the world. We heard that people who tried out the new social media plan were having trouble with set up etc and that speeds were slow.

2nd Day at Sea was my favorite ship day. We were getting a hang of things and at this point we felt we knew the ship pretty well. Although we still got confused with 6/7/8 along with everyone else. Just about every elevator ride we heard "is (such and such) 7 or 8?" "6 or 7?" There was a guide outside the elevators but it would have been helpful to have one on the inside as well. We also sometimes forgot we had taken the forward elevators until we tried to make our usual turn to our room and then needed to go the other way to the opposite end of the ship. Oopsie!

The elevator situation was somewhat quirky but not nearly as bad as I had thought based on earlier reports I had read. You have to push the call button on both sides but then once you are in the elevator it stops on floors without people because they too pushed both sides and no longer needed the lift. People became very good at pushing the close door button-kids as young as 3 managed the elevators like professionals. Although we once got in an elevator going down from 16 to 7 where a kid ran out having pushed ALL...OF...the buttons! Ugh! I bellied up to the close door button and zoom zoom down we went until whoops-I closed us out of the 7th floor! We got off at 6 and walked up a flight.

We encountered a lot of fun banter in the elevators-I really liked the people on our ship. People were friendly, considerate, and clearly having a good time. In the evenings people dressed up much more than I was expecting-more people dressed up than super casual-but if you need to walk through the ship in your daytime clothes (shorts, t-shirts, whatever) you won't be the only one underdressed and I think everyone feels comfortable.

13DCD468-E5B7-4460-9344-DF0658EA08D2_zpsw8uo41bm.jpg

If there was a cruise wear competition, this guy with flamingos and palm trees on his suit wins!

Alright, our plan for the day included the ropes course, water slides and 6:00 Oh What a Night-Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons Tribute complimentary dinner show in the Supper Club. I had seen Jersey Boys in the theater with a friend so was excited to see this show with my family. I wasn't totally sure what the kids would think, but Splash was closed until 7 so they had no choice!

At 8 AM we left our room wearing swimsuits under our clothes and also brought a bag with our closed toe shoes for the ropes course. This was going to be a pool/ropes/pool day for us. You need shoes that are closed in front and back and you need to be wearing a short sleeved shirt-no tank tops. No phones or cameras (other than mounted) and nothing in pockets. We headed straight to the pool to check out the chair situation. This gets to be a heated topic around here I've noticed. Like many others have reported the pool deck is disappointing. The slides and splash park are great, but the chairs were too close together and the pool bar was always mobbed. There is plenty of shade which we liked but it was not visually aesthetic at all. It didn't fit well with the rest of the ship-sort of like, "Oh shoot! We forgot about the pool area. Well, this will have to do."

Already at 8:15 there were a lot of chairs reserved with towels and bags. We went ahead and put some things down on some chairs in the shade and headed inside the Garden Cafe to get some breakfast. We were at breakfast for about 25 minutes and then back to our chairs which at that point had red timed tags with about 40 minutes remaining. At this point there were no empty chairs available that we could see-most were covered with towels an d bags and a few had people-and all of the chairs without people which was at least 90% of the chairs had the red tags. DS9 went straight to the aqua park and DD5 chose to lounge in the chairs with us. She didn't feel like swimming and asked if she could go to Splash Academy at 9 so DH took her. This worked out for us because it meant the three of us could go on the ropes course together at 10:00. DS played in the water until we told him it was time to head up to the ropes at about 9:45.

At that time a short line had already started to form. We chatted with the people in line ahead of us-they had tried to do this the day before and waited 45 minutes and then it closed due to the winds. If it is a windy day I would avoid the ropes and just plan to get there 15-20 min before they open on a nice day. We were within the first group of people to go up and once we were up we could see the line had started to weave around quite a bit. This was our first time doing a ropes course and it was fantastic! The zip lines were so fun and the planks were terrifyingly breathtaking. There was a camera guy at one of the zip lines and you can pull a rope on the plank and photo yourself. I liked there were multiple options for pathways so you didn't always have to be behind the same person all the time. We were all beaming when we got down. The little kid version looked really cute and we definitely wanted to come back with DD5 another time. The line was madness when we got off. I'm sure those people would be waiting at least an hour. Our total wait time was 10 minutes.

DH went and got DD 5 and we used the water park and had lunch. The burgers at the GC were pretty good! I enjoyed my blue cheese burger and liked the variety of toppings. Margaritaville was almost always empty-this would be great as an additional complimentary location, otherwise it seemed like a waste of space.

Kids went to Splash around 2ish and we went to the District Brew House.

6A150309-7578-43AA-9CDE-E1EB9D59BF7F_zps9jyp0msd.jpg

This is a very relaxing spot and they have an excellent beer list. We chatted with a really nice couple from Ohio and enjoyed relaxing.

Got the kids at 5 and got ready for dinner. We arrived to the Supper Club early and had our choice of seats and chose one of the round booths. The kids ended up loving this show! DD5 liked it so much the next day she named her new Caneel Bay stuffed turtle "Sherry" after the song.

4F76422B-5DF9-4D75-8450-3A9BCF36357D_zpscka9cn7d.jpg

Dinner is a fixed 3 course meal and there was not an option for the children's menu, although we didn't ask because our kids are pretty good eaters. We really enjoyed the food. Some people came and watched the show standby without a meal. They have limited extra seating in the back.

After the show the kids begged to go back to Splash for "Mission Impossible" night and DH and I went back to the Mojito Bar and then to the dueling pianos at Headliners again. We had to stand for a little while longer before seats opened up this time. Such a fun show.

We picked up the kids at 10:30 and they didn't want to leave. They begged us for "late night" but we had an early day in St Thomas so we made them come to bed. At home they are in bed around 8 or 8:30 so this was quite a different schedule for us!

We were really excited about our day tomorrow. Plan was to head to St John on our own. We were docking at 8AM and we wanted to try to catch the 9 AM ferry from Red Hook so we set our alarm for 6:30 (Ouch!) and also filled out a breakfast tag for 6:30-7:00.

Looking forward to hearing about St. John's on your own. We are thinking of the same thing for our St. T excursion (we've done Coki/Ocean World in the past). Post some photos of the loveliness if you can :)