Awesome Spring Break on the Vista

amyh13

We cruised with another family over Spring Break (April 2-April 8) on the Vista and had a fabulous time. The adults are in their late forties with 4 kids ranging in age from 7-12. All of us active. We had two balcony staterooms with adjoining balconies on Deck 8. Theywere typical but it seems like we had some extra shelf storage on our last cruise but we managed to find a spot for everything. We had adjoining balconies and our steward told us we had to go to guest service to request them to be opened. They did it immediately and we were able to enjoy the expanded balcony for sail away. Our cabin steward was nice and efficient but not overly friendly or gregarious. We have had some great cabin stewards but honestly I don’t need him/her to be my best friend. Service twice a day with no card. Bathrobes in the closet. I still tipped him and his assistant extra because I think being a cabin steward must be a tough job.

We have had FTTF since it has been offered but even though I stalked it a couple of times a day since booking, it was not available for this cruise. And I missed it. We had 11 am check in time so we were walking on the ship at 11:45 so that was not that big of an issue but not having immediate access to the room was a bummer. Having someone sit with our carry-ons (full of cash/credit cards/passports) while we ate in shifts was a pain. And while our friends luggage was all delivered early afternoon, our last back was not delivered until after the muster drill. I really like to get unpacked and get the room organized early so I can enjoy the whole day. Not a big deal, I just like FTTF. W ealso had a few trips to guest service so I missed FTTF there also. Muster drill was in the Liquid Lounge which was nice.

We had anytime dining. Yes you check in on Deck 5 and then go down to deck 3 to be seated. It was all electronic and not a big deal at all. Most nights we had a party of 8. Wet ypically ate between 630 and 7 and never had to wait to be seated. We all loved the American Table/American Feast menus. The only thing I missed was escargot, maybe it’s available on the 7 day menus. The no-tablecloth-thing did not bother any of us. Silverware was on a napkin, water decanters on coasters, nothing was sliding around. We live in Atlanta with a great restaurant culture and we loved the dining experience. Service was very friendly and seemed to slowdown towards the end of the meal but we weren’t in a hurry.

Although the ship is big I did not think it seemed any more crowded than other ships. There were usually lines at Guys and Blue Iguana but I waited for the Guys line to die down on embarkation, got a burger and never felt the need to get another one. I am usually happy with a light salad and a few extras for lunch so the buffet is fine. Everything looked fresh and yummy. We ate lunch one day in Ji Ji’s (free at lunch) and enjoyed it. We did not do any “pay extra” dining. For the most part we eat breakfast/brunch in the dining room and the service was great. I did the ropes course (never a line), the Sky ride (waited maybe 20 minutes), and both waterslides (5 minute waits).

And I think someone else warned about this, the decks near the slides are metal and painted to look like wood. They are slippery and hotter than Hades. I fell. Luckily only my pride was injured.

I went to the gym once. It was hot in there but very nice. Plenty of treadmills with a view! I got a combo spa treatment(exfoliation, massage, facial). It was great and no one tried to upsell me on anything.

We enjoyed all of the ports. We did the Carnival Dunn’s River Falls/Horseback riding excursion in Ocho Rios. Very cool experience and the kids loved it. If you do this one, take some food/snacks. I am glad I did. It is long and there is no access to food until it’s over. In Grand Cayman, we used Dexter’s for a catamaran to the sting ray sand bar and snorkeling. Also great but bring snacks. There were about 20 of us on board and seeing some of the boats pulling up with 100+ people, I think we had a much more intimate experience. Playa Mia in Cozumel and had a great time.

We did some trivia. My daughter and I went to the Welcome Aboard show but we didn’t do any other shows or movies. The kids loved the kids club and always begged to stay for night owls but we did not do that.We skipped the Dr. Suess breakfast as we have done it on our last 2 cruises. We also did tea which is always fun. We saw 2 comedians and they were great.

The Hub app worked fairly well. Sometimes it would disconnect from the chat if it sat idle too long but if folks are checking regularly, it worked fine. I enjoyed having all of the open times and activities available on my phone. I bought one day of the middle internet package for $16 and another day of just social media. My husband bought the middle package for$62/cruise.

Debarkation was another time I missed FTTF. We were in Zone 20 and it felt like we were sitting around forever. My husband said if we do not get FTTF in the future, we should pack lighter and carry off.

Let me know if you have any questions. It was truly a great vacation! 6 days was not enough!

Thanks for the great report!

We sail on the Vista in January and I can't wait! We love the Carnival Breeze and so I know I will love Vista..:D

We eat the Guy's Burgers almost every day at lunch! They are so yummy! We like the breakfast at the Blue Iguana too....

Right now we are Lido deck forward with a window, but thinking of upgrading to a balcony at some point.;)

I have sailed many lines and I just love Carnival's newer ships! Such a fun vibe and love the food! I can't wait for chocolate molten cake at dinner!

Loved reading your review!

I'm so glad to read a positive review about the Vista. I was starting to wonder why so many negative reviews about this ship. We're going next March, I'm glad you had a wonderful Vacation. Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience.

We were in 8202 and 8204. At the very end of the hall so not a lot of traffic. You could see into the bridge from the balcony so that was pretty cool.

Just few afterthoughts. Some folks miss the atrium. My kids loved the glass elevators of other atriums but I still thought is was pretty cool with the funnel and a non-issue. Elevators can be slow at times but I usually take the stairs. Some people complain about balcony door slammers. I found the cabin door slammers much worse. Even though I was wearing earplugs , I could still hear hallway doors starting to slam around 630 am. I cannot understand why it is so hard to slowly close the door. And I confess that my family was also guilty. Of course this isn't restricted to cruise ships. I find the same thing in hotels.

We also order room service coffee every morning. Always on time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did your kids go to the kids club at all? I am specifically interested in the Stingrays (our son will be 8 for our Vista cruise). I would love copies of the Stingray schedule if you have it. Or if not, if you have any information to share, I would appreciate that too. I am curious about the types of activities they do for that age group.

Thanks.

Thanks for the great review! My family and I also from Atlanta will be sailing on the Vista Spring Break April 2018. Lunch was free at JiJi's?

Yes. If you have been to the Mongolian Wok in the buffet on other cruises it is the same it is just in it's own location. The great thing is you get to sit down, fill out your sheet and a server brings it to you.

Same with the Pasta Bar. It is in Cucina del Capitano. Both restaurants are 11 aft with "for a cost" menu for dinner.

Eureka! THIS is the solution! Put the stickers on the chair hogs and not on the chairs they hog.

LOL! I guess I should have clarified. On the chairs. I can't imagine there would be any way to put a sticker on the person, they are never there.

Did your kids go to the kids club at all? I am specifically interested in the Stingrays (our son will be 8 for our Vista cruise). I would love copies of the Stingray schedule if you have it. Or if not, if you have any information to share, I would appreciate that too. I am curious about the types of activities they do for that age group.

Thanks.

Yes my daughter (7) was a stingray and loved camp. I'll check to see if I kept the schedule. We only had 2 sea days so most of her time was in the evening because we were in port all day. She even ate with camp a couple of nights. She likes the Art and Crafts stuff. But they had movies, games.

Kids choice included video games and those occur at different times throughout the day. We had two boys that were sharks and could check themselves in and out. Mostly for kids choice but were required to stay there during the evening hours.

Sometimes the lines were long at check in but the staff was great. All done electronically.

LOL! I guess I should have clarified. On the chairs. I can't imagine there would be any way to put a sticker on the person, they are never there.

Still doable. When the hogs return the deck staff will present each chair hog with the Carnival version of a cruise scarlet letter. They will have to wear their letter on their top or shirt. It will be a letter H in pool blue and must be worn for the remainder of the cruise during daylight hours ;)

Still doable. When the hogs return the deck staff will present each chair hog with the Carnival version of a cruise scarlet letter. They will have to wear their letter on their top or shirt. It will be a letter H in pool blue and must be worn for the remainder of the cruise during daylight hours ;)

I think they should be forced to get a new S&S card that denotes as such. [emoji39]

Edited by firemanbobswife

Were kids running everywhere? We had 1500 on Magic last week and it was a nightmare.

I suppose so. We usually cruise over spring break and always with our kids so that is what we are used to. For the most part, we had pleasant experiences with everyone on board, young and old alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had an early check in time and we were walking on the ship at 1145. All of the kids (and one adult) as soon as it opened with little wait time.

My husband and I did it when we got back on the ship from our port day in Jamaica. It was probably within an hour of sail away. We dropped our stuff off in the room. We did the ropes course first then got in line for the Sky Ride. We started just as the ship sailed away.