alaska juneau NCL cruise berth question

eric4395

I am thinking of booking an independant (viator) cruise tour in juneau in june when i arrive on norwegian jewel. Our arrival time is 7:00 and departure is 13: 30 so not much time. The tour is whale watching/ mendanhall glacier / ( and city tour if time) tour lasts approx 5 and half hours starting at 7:30. However it will be dependant on where we berth as i believe one of the berths is over a mile away from the mnt roberts tramway where the tour starts . Can anyone advise as to where NCL ships berth in juneau and advise if this tour is within our timescale if it is indeed the faraway berth. i could look for the same tour without the tour round juneau if we were struggling for time.

According to http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Juneau-JNU-2017.pdf in 2017 the Jewel berths at the AJD dock all but one sailing, the one in Juneau on Sept 12 . The AJD is the furthest away berth, about a mile from the Mt Roberts Tram. They do have a shuttle to downtown from the dock.

If you haven't done so already you might want to call Viator and see what they say about being able to make the 730 tour. Find out if they pick you up at the dock that would make things much easier.

I have used Viator and they did a good job with the tour. If you are scheduled to depart at 1:30. YOU HAVE to be back at 1:00. They prepare to shove off and you will not be permitted to board. I would not chance it. No way. I would only do a ship sponsored tour if you intend to be far from the ship for that amount of time.

I am thinking of booking an independant (viator) cruise tour in juneau in june when i arrive on norwegian jewel. Our arrival time is 7:00 and departure is 13: 30 so not much time. The tour is whale watching/ mendanhall glacier / ( and city tour if time) tour lasts approx 5 and half hours starting at 7:30. However it will be dependant on where we berth as i believe one of the berths is over a mile away from the mnt roberts tramway where the tour starts . Can anyone advise as to where NCL ships berth in juneau and advise if this tour is within our timescale if it is indeed the faraway berth. i could look for the same tour without the tour round juneau if we were struggling for time.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but are you sure about those port times for the ship? That just seems really short, and very unusual.

We have done the Whale Watching / Mendenhall Glacier and the Whale Watching alone, although both through the ship and with another tour company. In each case, the tours are quite long, If you're going to push the limits of your port time like that, I'd definitely use a ship's tour, as they will wait for you if you're late coming back. If you're on your own tour arrangements, they'll wait a short while, but then take off, and you have to get to the next port on your own to catch up with the ship.

The port times are correct because the ship spends the afternoon at Sawyer Glacier. If you miss the ship it is not that big a deal. Getting to Skagway is pretty easy from Juneau, which is the next stop, plus you never leave the US.

It's right.

The Jewel and Pearl split the day in Juneau. It's not at all unusual.

Been on the Pearl several times and did not remember that. Since we did the Whales & Mendenhall tour I guess it must fit in the port time window. Sorry for any misinformation! :confused:

I'm not trying to be ugly, but are you sure about those port times for the ship? That just seems really short, and very unusual.

\

Not unusual at all. The ship spends the afternoon on its glacier watching journey.

5410c5a948ea5db68f45dab69fcf1c74.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels