Getting on the Anthem in NJ...searched the boards couldn't find answer

So.....there are no taxi's to "hail" but there's a taxi dispatcher :confused:

Cape Liberty is the complete opposite of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal area, which is right on 12th Ave in midtown NYC. CL is in Bayonne NJ at the end of a two mile long peninsula that is essentially deserted except when ships are docked. The Bayonne taxi companies organize a dispatching process for the licensed livery cars and offer preset rates for a variety of destinations. There are no metered fares.

When I was there in Feb, the available vehicles were staged in the outdoor parking area leaving the drop off/pickup area free for personal pickups, livery pickups, and shuttle/bus pickups. So there are no cabs "loitering" in front of the cruise terminal hoping for a fare.

I also have a 12:30 flight and plan to do self-disembark and catch an Uber. An estimate from the app is just over $20.

I've never used or had the need to use Uber.

Considering the location of Cape Liberty...any idea of how quickly or easy it's going to be :confused:

I've never used or had the need to use Uber.

Considering the location of Cape Liberty...any idea of how quickly or easy it's going to be :confused:

No, but I have read other reports that it went fine. We are giving ourselves plenty of time, so I'm not worried. We would not even really have to do an early self-disembark, but we did it on our last cruise and found it to be so easy and stress-free that we plan to do it from now on even when we don't have a compelling reason to get off early.

My guess is that enterprising Uber drivers will be in the vicinity. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
We have sailed twice on Anthem. We sailed in February and the ship arrived in Bayonne at 6am and sailed at 3pm. Boarding had already started at 10:30am when we were checking in at the port.

When we sailed last September, the ship arrived in Bayonne at 7am and sailed at 4pm. Boarding started just after 11am.

Cape Liberty is the complete opposite of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal area, which is right on 12th Ave in midtown NYC. CL is in Bayonne NJ at the end of a two mile long peninsula that is essentially deserted except when ships are docked. The Bayonne taxi companies organize a dispatching process for the licensed livery cars and offer preset rates for a variety of destinations. There are no metered fares.

When I was there in Feb, the available vehicles were staged in the outdoor parking area leaving the drop off/pickup area free for personal pickups, livery pickups, and shuttle/bus pickups. So there are no cabs "loitering" in front of the cruise terminal hoping for a fare.

Any way to find out what the approx. fare would be to lower Manhattan or Flushing, Queens?

MARAPRINCE

Any way to find out what the approx. fare would be to lower Manhattan or Flushing, Queens?

MARAPRINCE

You'd be going between NJ and NY, so you'd be better off booking a car service like Dial7 or Carmel Limo. You can go online and request quotes to your two potential destinations. Also look around for coupons.

I was thinking of using RCL to book our return to EWR to make it easier and guarantee return to the airport for a 2:30 flight home. But it sounds like I I can get a group cab or even uber cheaper and just as easy. Am I missing something or need to consider anything else planning wise?

I was thinking of using RCL to book our return to EWR to make it easier and guarantee return to the airport for a 2:30 flight home. But it sounds like I I can get a group cab or even uber cheaper and just as easy. Am I missing something or need to consider anything else planning wise?

Not missing a thing. A 2:30 flight gives you plenty of time. Even if you take your time disembarking, you will likely have hours to wait at EWR.

It's rare that a cruise line transfer is the best (cheapest, most efficient, most comfortable) option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You'd be going between NJ and NY, so you'd be better off booking a car service like Dial7 or Carmel Limo. You can go online and request quotes to your two potential destinations. Also look around for coupons.

We will probably be taking DIAL 7 going to the port with 2 pickups in Manhattan & Queens. Just want to make sure we do not have a problem getting back to NY in case they do not have a car available to send to Bayonne to take us back after the sailing.

MARAPRINCE

Wonder what they would charge just from the pier to the HBLR 34tth Street Station?

To get back to the original information, is there a separate area for accessible boarding? My DH will be bringing his mobility scooter. When we used it in Cape Canaveral, we were sent to a special boarding area & were in one of the first groups boarding. It was very nice since we didn't have to fight the crowds to get on an elevator. You sometimes have an issue using an elevator with a scooter.

To get back to the original information, is there a separate area for accessible boarding? My DH will be bringing his mobility scooter. When we used it in Cape Canaveral, we were sent to a special boarding area & were in one of the first groups boarding. It was very nice since we didn't have to fight the crowds to get on an elevator. You sometimes have an issue using an elevator with a scooter.

When going through security, were were told to use the suite line. There was not a special check-in area.

When boarding, they directed the regular passengers to use the escalators and the elevators were used only for those who need it.

EDIT - sorry I think you mean after you boarded the ship. In our experience there was not a special process.

Edited by toras

We will probably be taking DIAL 7 going to the port with 2 pickups in Manhattan & Queens. Just want to make sure we do not have a problem getting back to NY in case they do not have a car available to send to Bayonne to take us back after the sailing.

MARAPRINCE

Dial7 and Carmel are large fleet car services that go all over the Tri-state Metro area. They constantly have cars going to EWR as well as other NJ areas. Cape Liberty in Bayonne is at exit 14A of the turnpike between the Holland Tunnel and EWR.

Wonder what they would charge just from the pier to the HBLR 34tth Street Station?

The taxi dispatcher runs a local shuttle to the light rail and the shopping center on an as needed basis. Several years ago I paid $6/pp to go to the station and $10 to get picked up at the station. I'm doing it again in Feb and will probably try Uber from the light rail and the taxi dispatcher to the light rail.

Don't get crazy about the variation in prices. If you ever hit a wall of traffic at Cape Liberty, you will be glad you don't have the meter running in the cab.

Here are the numbers you need to call a local cab from the light rail.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

The taxi dispatcher runs a local shuttle to the light rail and the shopping center on an as needed basis. Several years ago I paid $6/pp to go to the station and $10 to get picked up at the station. I'm doing it again in Feb and will probably try Uber from the light rail and the taxi dispatcher to the light rail.

Don't get crazy about the variation in prices. If you ever hit a wall of traffic at Cape Liberty, you will be glad you don't have the meter running in the cab.

Here are the numbers you need to call a local cab from the light rail.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

That is very helpful...thanks!! :)