1st time on NCL wondering about Epic Studios

Kitt Grey

Frequent cruiser on another line just booked my first NCL trip for next year.

First time in a studio, first transatlantic and first in Europe.

Lots of questions. How does freestyle dining work with solo cruisers.

Do we dine alone or share tables with different people every night?

My room right now is all the way to the back should I try to get it moved closer to the lounge or is there a benefit to being aft.

Has anyone done a back to back in Europe and how does NCL handle the switch?

Will a lot of people being doing a Europe transatlantic B2B?

Will we get passport stamps? How is this handled?

More questions to come thanks in advance for any answers.

The vast majority of diners eat with their "families". There are no group tables, but they sometimes ask if folks want to share. Many solo cruisers make friends and eat with them.

Being closer to the lounge would be bettter.

We disembarked in Barcelona about a year ago and there was absolutely no passport control or immigrations at the port. You will get stamped athe the airport when you leave.

Book your shows and any specialty dining exactly 90 days prior to cruise. Both of the Broadway shows on the theater are great.

For a charge, the Cirque Dreams show is also good dinner entertainment.

Welcome to NCL!

The Solo coordinator will organise shared tabled in the solo lounge every evening for those that want. You may find you gravitate to like minded people after the first couple of days and will then arrange this yourself for your group.

I would suggest dont book your shows or speciality dining until you've made friends on board, and then book up the rest of the cruise.

Frequent cruiser on another line just booked my first NCL trip for next year.

First time in a studio, first transatlantic and first in Europe.

Lots of questions. How does freestyle dining work with solo cruisers.

Do we dine alone or share tables with different people every night?

My room right now is all the way to the back should I try to get it moved closer to the lounge or is there a benefit to being aft.

Has anyone done a back to back in Europe and how does NCL handle the switch?

Will a lot of people being doing a Europe transatlantic B2B?

Will we get passport stamps? How is this handled?

More questions to come thanks in advance for any answers.

You will love Epic as a solo... done it twice already and heading on a b2b this summer!

For a really good tour of the studio rooms check out Youtube - search 'NCL Epic Studio Tour' - there is one by a guy called duskbatrabbit which is quite extensive (if you can forgive his random chat!)

Here is my review of the Epic from back in 2014 if it helps at all :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091651

It should give you good insight into what to expect.

For dining: There is always a solo host who gets everyone together at the solo gathering. They generally get everyone together for meals everynight, though you tend to find some solos arrange smaller groups to go to dinner. I tend to just go with the flow and if the plans being made arent what i want to do I either find another grouo to go with or head to the noodle bar or buffet [emoji1] You also tend to spend your evening with the solo crew too.... it can be a lot of fun!

Being closer to the studio lounge is better (though not too close - there can be a little noise from the coming and going). Being closer to the lounge means you can sneak down for tea, coffee, pastries and cookies without walking too far.... plus if you're like me and take ages to get ready its handy to be closer so you dont miss the solo gathering! [emoji14]

As for shows... i dont bother booking them in advance because the solo host always gets a group together to see them - and we always manage to get seats!

I cant really give you an answer on the b2b thing... yet. But i can tell you that passport control and customs doesnt happen at the cruise port.... we only do that at the airport in Europe.

Hope that helps [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

On Epic I have booked studios as far aft as I can get. These rooms are pretty convenient for getting to the stairs and elevator and makes locating your room pretty simple. Plus there are only a few studios - maybe a dozen or so - in this hall so it's super quiet. It is quite a hike to the lounge but I consider that a plus. The more walking the better.

On Epic I have booked studios as far aft as I can get. These rooms are pretty convenient for getting to the stairs and elevator and makes locating your room pretty simple. Plus there are only a few studios - maybe a dozen or so - in this hall so it's super quiet. It is quite a hike to the lounge but I consider that a plus. The more walking the better.

Very good points. Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I almost forgot.... the solo lounge always has a board. If there is something you really want to do... like cirque or a speciality restaurant... write it on the board and get a group together. The solo host will help too!

Do the solo host pop up at all solo gatherings at the lounge? Otherwise, how is her availability for questions, etc? Thanks in advance!

I think most of your questions have been answered well. I've cruised solo on the Epic 3-4 times, and I will say I prefer near the lounge for the reasons stated above--coffee and pastries in the morning and juice and cookies later in the day. I find very little noise in the studio area. After all, there are no kids and people are generally alone when in their rooms.

I thought my trans-Atlantic on the Epic was great, but I'm a person who enjoys sea days. I did a b2b, staying on for the ship's first European cruise and the change was relatively seamless. I did get off to wander around Barcelona between cruises because I was staying a few days after the second cruise and I wanted to get a feel for the lay of the land. I don't think it was necessary to get off, though. You'll get an in-transit sticker so crew will know you belong if you're on board and so you can get back on quickly if you leave.

One thing I did notice was the change in Barcelona when most of the Americans got off and the Europeans arrived. Coming over, we had group dinner around 6 each day, but the Europeans couldn't even consider that hour. They did get angry with the NCL solo rep for not eating with them every night at 7:30 or later, but she was a Canadian and used to eating early, so she stuck with the b2b group..

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love the TA and the studios. Have a great trip.

Do the solo host pop up at all solo gatherings at the lounge? Otherwise, how is her availability for questions, etc? Thanks in advance!

The dailies have the solo gathering time in the schedule, usually at 6pm in the lounge. The host is there each evening and people usually have a few drinks (or more!) and then head for dinner around 7pm. The host puts a sign up sheet on a board so you can add your name if you want to be part of the group dinner the following night. If you go to the first gathering the host will explain how it all works. And as others have said, you may meet a few people you want to spend more time with and can then organise your own dinners or whatever activities you might want to do together. I've done a few solo trips on the Epic and that first solo meeting really does set you up for the rest of the trip. I'm off again in July and then b2b for Xmas and new year and have had the best fun imaginable on every trip...relax and enjoy!!

The host will be available at all gatherings, but is often busy at other times. As a member of the cruise director's staff, he or she will be involved in various game shows and other events during the day. I wouldn't worry, though, because it's like any other cruise situation and any questions that need immediate answers are probably best answered by guest services.

The host will be available at all gatherings, but is often busy at other times. As a member of the cruise director's staff, he or she will be involved in various game shows and other events during the day. I wouldn't worry, though, because it's like any other cruise situation and any questions that need immediate answers are probably best answered by guest services.

Great! Thank you and Smileygirl for the replies [emoji4]

The solo host attends the solo gatherings every evening. They will also likely give you there extension number to contact them if you need them.

One thing to note - being the solo host is not their only job, they are part of the cruise directors staff so they do pretty much all the entertainment stuff day & night. You will see your solo host everywhere. The cruise directors staff tend to take it in turns to play solo host - some are better than others but i've never had a bad one. If you have questions ask at the solo gathering - its probably the best time to get them.

One thing I did notice was the change in Barcelona when most of the Americans got off and the Europeans arrived. Coming over, we had group dinner around 6 each day, but the Europeans couldn't even consider that hour. They did get angry with the NCL solo rep for not eating with them every night at 7:30 or later, but she was a Canadian and used to eating early, so she stuck with the b2b group..

That's a bit of an over-generalisation IMHO. Personally I have found the South Americans to be the least flexible when it comes to meal times - I recall a lovely Brazilian Woman who simply couldn't understand why we ate at 7.30pm - that was far too early for her! :D My last 2 cruises me (a Scot) and all the Americans in the solo group ate at 7pm as we didn't want to eat too early - we all preferred getting changed out of our sweaty day clothes into our much less sweaty evening clothes before eating. Mind you, that's what I love about the solo groups - there is always great flexibility.... one group may want to eat at 6pm, while another wants to eat at 7pm... join the group that suits you.

In the past, the solo host not eating with the group would have annoyed me, but after having come to know them and know just how much they do around the ship... you really cant be mad at them - some just don't have the time available. My first solo host Gabi - tried her best and came to 3 meals but always had time for us around the ship (especially if it involved getting you on the dancefloor!), she was the assistant cruise director, did all the exercise classes, Karaoke events, port talks etc etc.... My second, Aldean, was lovely but again could only make a couple of meals... she was super busy but did try her best, she did a wine tasting especially for us, we played ice-breaker mini golf in the solo lounge etc She tried her best but was definitely over-stretched..... My third, Jeff, was just an absolute superstar! He made as much time for you as he possibly could, always got you dancing, did fun activities with us, made us do Karaoke, always came to dinner (even if he only had time to grab a quick starter salad) and seemed to be on constant solo passenger alert - I swear he had a sixth sense and knew where we all were at all times! But he also did about a million other things onboard. I honestly don't know how they do it!

The solo gatherings are what you make them - go with an open mind and a bit of flexibility and enjoy yourself! :D

Thanks for all the great answers I appreciate the help.

I'll be sailing on the Epic next February so am hoping you will provide a review Kitt Grey. I've sailed the Escape as a solo and loved it, and will be interested to see what differences there might be.

I'll be sailing on the Epic next February so am hoping you will provide a review Kitt Grey. I've sailed the Escape as a solo and loved it, and will be interested to see what differences there might be.

I'm doing a B2B solo on June 18th (God help me, lol)

I am planning to do a review as this is my first time NCL and first time solo. 62 days to go!

I'm doing a B2B solo on June 18th (God help me, lol)

I am planning to do a review as this is my first time NCL and first time solo. 62 days to go!

I will see you on your second week! That will be my first week on my b2b [emoji3]

I always try to do reveiws but end up forgetting.... but i am going to try and remember this time around!

69 days for me [emoji1]