New to RC - Random thoughts on Eat Drink Play package

I am on Allure now with my family of 5 in two adjoining Boardwalk Balcony cabins, which came with the Eat Drink Play package. Here are some random thoughts on this package that might be helpful to other planners.

EAT - this is one free lunch or dinner for up to four people at Johnny Rockets. Breakfast at Johnny Rockets is always free. Johnny Rockets does not take reservations, but they never seem to be too busy. We have a nice view of them from our balcony. We had dinner there one evening. Everything is free except for the shakes and malts. My kids had flavored sodas, and that was included too. They tried Fanta orange with chocolate and don't recommend it! We didn't need to bring a paper or anything to show we had the package. We just told the waiter that we had the Eat Drink Play package, and he could easily confirm this by seeing the cabin number on our Sea pass card. We just used one cabin's number, even though we had two, because we thought we might use the other one later in the week. Even though we were a family of five, he did not charge us for the extra person.

DRINK - this is two free soda packages per cabin. We had two cabins so four soda packages for the five of us. The stickers were already on our sea pass cards when we checked in to board the ship. I called in advance of the cruise to see if I could designate which cards the package went on. I was told I could not do that in advance but needed to go to guest services onboard. I did that, and it was very easy to change. He literally just peeled the sticker off of my card and stuck a new one on my son's. The Freestyle machine cups were already waiting for us in the cabin. I thought the cups would stack nicely, so they would be easy to carry around. They actually don't stack very well because they are so thick. I brought a nylon string cinch bag, and I have just been rinsing the cups out and carrying them around in that. Some of the cups had slightly different patterns on them, but two of ours were exactly the same, so we had to mark them to know whose was whose. If you want a soda from one of the bars, you just show them a sea pass card with a sticker on it, and they hand you a soda. I have been able to take several Sea pass cards and get several sodas at a time for my kids.

PLAY - this is a "private" Rock climbing wall session. I envisioned this as being private for just my family, but that was not the case. It is a private session for anyone in a boardwalk balcony cabin to sign up. They take a maximum of 10 per session, and they said if one session filled up, they would open another. The session was scheduled for 5-6 pm on Day 6. I went to the climbing wall to sign up on Day 2 and was told we had to sign up on Day 1. I did not see that information anywhere. However, since the session was not full yet, they let us sign up anyhow. I did not think this was going to work out to be a great deal, since there usually aren't more than five or six people waiting for the climbing wall during its regular open hours. It turned out to be nice though, because some of the signed up people for our session did not show up, and we only had six climbers, with three climbing at a time on the private wall. The other wall was open to the general public at the same time. My kids climbed as much as they wanted on all of the different routes and were ready to quit before the hour was up.

That's all I can think to tell you about the Boardwalk balcony package. I hope this was helpful to someone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a Boardwalk Balcony on our Allure cruise. We used the Johnny Rockets meal for lunch one day as we had a 5 night dining package and wanted to eat in the MDR a couple of nights.

We didn't do the rock climbing as I'd probably kill myself trying to do it! I really liked our Boardwalk cabin as we were able to see Ocean Aria from our balcony and could watch people on the rock climbing wall too.

Our S&S cards were imprinted with the Coke emblem which indicated we had the soda package. That wasn't a benefit to me as I had the Ultimate drink package, so it was redundant.

Other than the long walk to our cabin, I like being in the Boardwalk balcony. We were in the 3rd cabin from the aft, so I got a bit of exercise several times a day. I would book a Boardwalk balcony again.

We were just recently on HOTS in the last four aft Boardwalk cabins on deck nine....(hate the blocked view because of Abyss....but that's another topic). We didn't care for having to carry the cups around and actually the couple of times some of us did the cups didn't work or the machine didn't work. We found it just as easy to get our sodas elsewhere.

The "play"... ours was on day 6 between 9am-11am...agree not exactly what we thought private session was going to mean either.

The Freestyle machines on Allure were hit or miss too, but they were usually in pairs - when one wasn't working, the other one was. They were often out of many things. Once a machine only had vitamin water and was out of everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info.

We are a family of six and will be in two boardwalk balcony cabins this summer.

I'm glad to hear that we can switch the soda package as DH and I really don't need it and will be glad to let the kids use it instead.