New Camera Tips

For 100-400 G Master just announced, see my note about price point.... And it looks like the 70-400 is $2200 retail.

I can still go to 900mm on my Nikon with the Tamron for about $1200 and a back brace.

Bear in mind, I love my a6000, but it doesn't match up with the D500 (nor should it be expected to). The full alpha series comes dang close though but the weight is not that far off anymore. The LENS weight is far less, that has to be said.

For most people looking at a 6x000 mirrorless one of the attractions is the lower price point as well as size and there are still no long lenses in the moderate price range...

There are really no bad cameras out there. It's all about what you need and since I seldom shoot with long lenses anymore, I have found the A6000 and A6300 to be just about ideal for my needs. Even the new A9 doesn't really tempt me to move to full-frame. I do hope the stacked-sensor tech trickles down to APS-C. That would make my face smile.

Dave

For 100-400 G Master just announced, see my note about price point.... And it looks like the 70-400 is $2200 retail.

I can still go to 900mm on my Nikon with the Tamron for about $1200 and a back brace.

Bear in mind, I love my a6000, but it doesn't match up with the D500 (nor should it be expected to). The full alpha series comes dang close though but the weight is not that far off anymore. The LENS weight is far less, that has to be said.

For most people looking at a 6x000 mirrorless one of the attractions is the lower price point as well as size and there are still no long lenses in the moderate price range...

Price aside....

You can get the same range with the Sony.

You said you get to 900mm with the Tamron, but you're applying the crop factor.

So it's a 600mm lens, effectively 900mm.

The Sony is a 400mm, effectively 600mm.

Now, outside of birding, there really is no use for a lens over 600mm.

But if you insist, the Sony lens is compatible with their teleconverters, getting you to 840-1200mm.

Or of course, just use the Canon version of the 150-600 with adapter.

Price aside....

But if you insist, the Sony lens is compatible with their teleconverters, getting you to 840-1200mm.

Or on micro four thirds, use the Panasonic/Leica 100-400 zoom for 800 mm equivalent.

Lenses like that are to rent, not buy unless you make money using them daily [or just collected on Powerball ;-) ].

Given that birding and wildlife are about 80 percent of my non-vacation photos, it makes a difference..

But 'price aside' accounts for a fairly big sin.

If I can get a D500 and the Tamron lens for roughly the same price of an a6300 and the Sony, it makes the sony less attractive for that price point. And if I want to look at 400mm lenses there are a lot in a lower price range - A D500 and the Sigma 100-400 will cost about the same as just the Sony lens. Like I said, I love my a6000, but its not the D500.

Again, this is not a critique of the camera. It's just saying that for people who are looking at the price point of the a6x00 series, there still are no 'practical' long lenses to own... While the new lens is Compatible with the A6x00 its not FOR the a6x00 series

Price aside....

While the new lens is Compatible with the A6x00 its not FOR the a6x00 series

Actually, the A6500's PDAF and tracking tech was the precursor for the A9. It will work exceptionally well with the G- Master lenses.

I'm skipping the A6500 unless something terrible befalls my A6000, but my free will will expire if the A9 tech appears in an A6x00 or A7000 body with an APS-C sensor. The A6300's sensor at 85 on DxOMark already eclipses most APS-C DSLRs and the stacked tech only adds to the pot.

I can't say "it's a great time to be a photographer" often enough.

Dave