Eurodam aft cabin choice?

mechaiah

Hi everyone - I posted earlier about taking an HAL cruise to Alaska and got wonderfully helpful responses. I'm going to book and wanted to ask any opinions about the following aft cabins: 6177, 6181, 7134, 7136 and 7141.

This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering if the shade is impacted by the shape of the ship's aft? That is to say is the shade different on the 6th deck aft balconies vs the 7th deck aft balconies? I can't tell from pictures if the balconies are all stacked and everyone has the same amount of shade or if they're sloped (I don't think that's the right word) and 6th floor balconies have more (or less) shade. I'm super fair and love shade!

Thanks again everyone!

I have not yet been on Eurodam, however I would recommend you do an internet search by typing in "HAL cruiser information", and it will take you to a website that offers cabin info on Eurodam and her sister ship, Nieuw Amsterdam. They are both categorized as "Signature class" ships. Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll try to help you further.

Yes, the stern is sloped and the balcony size and overhang are about the same on deck 6 and 7, giving about the same amount of shade. The cabins nearest the center (e.g. 6181) are slightly longer inside than those on the ends (e.g. 7134). Otherwise they are all pretty much the same.

2n0lqtc.jpg

edit: there are pics of the 7134 balcony on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the site Old As Dirt Mom was alluding to HERE

Edited by jtl513

We stayed in cabin 5191. The balcony was slightly larger than the standard one and to be honest there was not much shade. I cannot sit in the sun, so I didn't use it as much as I would have liked. However, we did enjoy the view and no issues with vibration. We try to book balconies that have an overhang that will provide shade and that takes some research.

We've done a deck 7 aft facing veranda stateroom on the Eurodam twice and loved it both times. If I remember correctly, the sun / shade mix was about 50 / 50. If shade is extremely important you might want to consider deck 5 on the Oosterdam. We recently sailed on the Zuiderdam (sister of the O-dam) and found our aft facing balcony on that ship was much deeper and almost completely in the shade. You might want to check out the deck plans of each ship for comparison.

But she wants to go to AK this year.

Oosterdam does sail from Seattle on AK cruises this summer. Maybe you were thinking that it originally was scheduled for Med cruises? In any case I think Oosterdam only goes to Hubbard Glacier while Eurodam has Glacier Bay - which most people prefer as the "glacier stop".

Oosterdam is doing the 7-day from Seattle May - Sept this year.

Oosterdam does sail from Seattle on AK cruises this summer. Maybe you were thinking that it originally was scheduled for Med cruises?
Yes, I just quickly glanced at the 2017-2018 Cruise Atlas Sailing Schedule which shows her in Europe. Sorry. :o