Duty free alcohol

tlwg04

I'm not sure on island prices but I was shocked at how cheap even the bottles were on the ship. If we weren't flying, we might not have brought our clothes home! Here are a few pictures of the ship prices from last month. 6b27b5525f7b4f53e795cbeb973737b9.jpga1ee5140d82058581b43ca97686cdc54.jpgc31d44ddfb89fc13382f49fa48762e43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOVE THIS POST!!! Can we be BFF's? lol

For your itinerary I would recommend:

St.Thomas: Bones rum. Excellent! Made in USVI, so you meet the insular possession mandate, and not imported into US. I also recommend Cherry Marnier. Good stuff and also not imported. I got mine at Dynasty Dazzlers on the main street. You'll also find great prices on Cruzan rums in case you want to stock up. Good prices on other spirits as well.

Grand Turk: Highly recommend Bambarra Gold and Reserve. Very good and also not imported! If you are a Jack Daniel's fan, you can get Silver Select here or in San Juan. Again, not imported.

San Juan: We wanted to go to the Bacardi factory but wound up touring the forts instead. Maybe next time! I do remember that most of the Bacardi rums were going for around $5/liter, so might be a good time to stock the bar! Also, Don Q rums has a tasting room near port. Definitely worth stopping by.

We (wife and I) brought back 14 liters from that exact itinerary. We declared all of it and the officer at the port never gave us a second look.

This is quite impressive!! Im typically a vodka kinda girl, but I do like a coconut rum with pineapple juice....and it looks like rum is the way to go in the Caribbean! Im going to "use" my mom to get additional liters, but not getting hit with a duty should I go over sounds awesome. Definitely would like to buy the cherry marnier and flavored jack daniels

Oh my.....just did a search on those two at my local ABC store....

the grand marnier runs 50/liter, and JD

JACK DANIEL'S SINGLE BARREL Whiskey(94) 61.99

JACK DANIEL'S TENNESSEE HONEY Whiskey (70) 30.99

JACK DANIEL'S OLD NO. 7 BLACK Whiskey (80) 30.99

looks like i may need to up my budget lol

Oh my.....just did a search on those two at my local ABC store....

the grand marnier runs 50/liter, and JD

JACK DANIEL'S SINGLE BARREL Whiskey(94) 61.99

JACK DANIEL'S TENNESSEE HONEY Whiskey (70) 30.99

JACK DANIEL'S OLD NO. 7 BLACK Whiskey (80) 30.99

looks like i may need to up my budget lol

On the ship/in port prices on the items you listed should run;

Grand Marnier ~$34/L

Jack Daniel's Silver(100) ~$50

Jack Old No. 7(80) ~$24-25/L or 2/~$38-40

As for vodka, I've gotten Stolichnaya 2L/$22-25 and Kettle one for ~$21-22/L

What is the name of the liquor that isn't sold in the US that usually sells out on the ship? I think it's a sweet type of drink.

The number one seller on the Vista last week was White Hennessy, It apparently sold out in less than 1day of the fun shop opening.

I have no idea what it tastes like, but it is apparently not available in the US and people love it...

This is great!! So.....five bottles in all, with one being made in USVI. Got it!!

now.....what alcohol did yall buy? lol

Being primarily a bourbon drinker, I find the options to be a bit limited. They just dont have the means to export it then sell it back much cheaper than I can get it from KY or even from my home state of NC.

I did however get a deal for 2 1l bottles of Woodford Reserve for at a total of $73.. each bottle at home adjusted for the size difference would have been about $49.

One thing that no one was mentioning so far, is that the ship store is supposed to do a price match if it is the same product... so if you see a cheap price, for 1 bottle of something the ship store already has, make sure to take a clear picture and go see them. You can also just buy it then, but sometimes it is just not easy to get it back to the ship... Say if you are in the middle of an excursion and dont want to lug two litters of stuff.

The number one seller on the Vista last week was White Hennessy, It apparently sold out in less than 1day of the fun shop opening.

I have no idea what it tastes like, but it is apparently not available in the US and people love it...

The demand for Hennessy Pure White is unreal. Both onboard and in the ports. It is an almost clear, or "white", cognac. Last cruise I was on it was going for $50/700cl bottle.

Wish I had gotten some back when we first started cruising in 2010. It was $30 a bottle or 2 for $50!

Of you sail out of Texas, you will get taxed for all alcohol and tobacco from Texas tax collectors.

Sent from my Honor 8 on Forums mobile app.

So true, they have people asking you as you leave and a table close to collect your money.

So true, they have people asking you as you leave and a table close to collect your money.

Thank goodness Georgia doesn't do this! I've saved a ton on liqour bought in the islands, but probably wouldn't even bother if I had to go through that kind of hassle.

Thankfully, if we ever sail out of Galveston I don't have to worry about it as long as I get my butt headed back to GA once the cruise is over!

• 3 weeks later...

So...............I TOTALLY just scored! Information, that is.

I went to the local ABC store here to get an idea on prices on things I may be interested in bringing back.

(well, I think i am more interested in bringing back liquors that ARENT available here.....but I digress)

So as I'm steathily sneaking around and writing down prices and sizes, I strike up a convo with the clerk....who, for some reason thinks that I am stocking my bar for an imagined party. ;p

She gives me a book that they use to order their supply. Not only does it list EVERY liquor that they carry, it also lists the retail prices as well. ANNNNNDDDDDDD it has a ton of cocktail recipes as well!

I'm going to take this with me, and use it during my shopping. Between my mom and me, I can bring back 10 bottles.....if i go over, though, Im hoping customs will let me slide---probably wont be much more than the ten, anyway.

:cool::cool::cool:;p

So...............I TOTALLY just scored! Information, that is.

I went to the local ABC store here to get an idea on prices on things I may be interested in bringing back.

(well, I think i am more interested in bringing back liquors that ARENT available here.....but I digress)

So as I'm steathily sneaking around and writing down prices and sizes, I strike up a convo with the clerk....who, for some reason thinks that I am stocking my bar for an imagined party. ;p

She gives me a book that they use to order their supply. Not only does it list EVERY liquor that they carry, it also lists the retail prices as well. ANNNNNDDDDDDD it has a ton of cocktail recipes as well!

I'm going to take this with me, and use it during my shopping. Between my mom and me, I can bring back 10 bottles.....if i go over, though, Im hoping customs will let me slide---probably wont be much more than the ten, anyway.

:cool::cool::cool:;p

Awesome

We just got back from a cruise and did not have fill out a customs form, only if you have more than $10,000 in merchandise....we had 8 bottles in our luggage...and the customs person only asked if we had any fruit....this was in pt. Canaveral

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We just got back from a cruise and did not have fill out a customs form, only if you have more than $10,000 in merchandise....we had 8 bottles in our luggage...and the customs person only asked if we had any fruit....this was in pt. Canaveral

that's awesome!! hope that happens to me!

Can't say the same for Cape Liberty. Still had to fill out the same old paper forms stating that any excess of 1 carton of cigarettes, 100 cigars, and/or 1 liter of alcohol per adult or purchases totaling $1,600 or more per household (w/ special exceptions for USVI) could trigger the tariffs on duty free items. There was also a question if we were carrying $10,000 or more in cash or cash equivalents. We filled out the forms honestly and the Customs official did not charge us for the 6 over cartons.

I have heard that some ports were experimenting using a Customs smartphone app or electronic kiosks to do the forms before seeing a clerk.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Edited by maryred