Vatican tickets

Rwjx2

I'm trying to book Night tour Vatican tickets and keep getting an error message. Is this a common problem?

I've contacted my credit card company and the charge isn't being submitted so there's a problem with the website. I can't find a way to talk to a person through the ticket website. Is there another option for buying tickets without going through a tour company?

Edited by Rwjx2
clarity

That's the site I'm trying to use, cruisemom42.

I'm trying to book for June. The tickets show as being available. I've tried three different credit cards. Three different devices. This is my second day of trying. I've filled out the form so many times. I even had my dad try. I've called my bank. No charges are coming through. The help email says the website is working fine.

I'm out of ideas. Help!?

Edited by Rwjx2

That's the site I'm trying to use, cruisemom42.

I'm trying to book for June. The tickets show as being available. I've tried three different credit cards. Three different devices. This is my second day of trying. I've filled out the form so many times. I even had my dad try. I've called my bank. No charges are coming through. The help email says the website is working fine.

I'm out of ideas. Help!?

If you are using "Safari", change and and use "Google Crome", I have had the same problem in the past and that was the reason!

I had the same problem. Tried for days. Emailed the Vatican contact email who offered no help. Tried 3 different cards, including a debit card. Was using Chrome. I ended up giving up and asking the company that we're using for a tour that day (RomeCabs) to book the tickets for us. We paid them by Paypal and they will have the tickets for us when they pick us up for our tour. Maybe that's an option for you?

While I'm not looking for Vatican museum tix this trip...I did snag Scavi tour tix!!!

Decided to check out the website around 8am and by 9 am I was printing out my prepaid reserved tix straight from the Vatican ...

I booked approx 3 months in advance

I was surprised it was so easy considering how coveted these tix are

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm trying to book Night tour Vatican tickets and keep getting an error message. Is this a common problem?

I've contacted my credit card company and the charge isn't being submitted so there's a problem with the website. I can't find a way to talk to a person through the ticket website. Is there another option for buying tickets without going through a tour company?

Any luck? I tried to purchase tickets yesterday and today - via Chrome and IE. No luck on either site.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same trouble as the OP and I'm losing my marbles. I've been trying off and on for weeks. Looking for tickets for June 15th, so I'm not too far out, but I'm starting to get worried about them selling out. I've tried several different cards, including my debit card (but probably used as a VISA). I'm using the official Vatican website.

I looked on Tripadvisor forum and saw some postings advising that it is being blocked at the credit card company level. So I called my credit card company, and said what was suggested on trip advisor, but it hasn't helped. The woman I talked to at my credit card company said they are getting a lot of calls about it, and they believe it relates to the Vatican not processing credit cards when they are not open. At the time I was hoping the trip advisor advice would do the trick, so I didn't probe for more. Is this plausible? I've usually tried to buy the tickets either evenings or weekends for me.

I'm now kind of locked into a certain day because of other plans I've made. Should I see if my hotel could somehow buy for me? Would it be obnoxious to ask the guide we have hired? he had just told me to buy through the website, which worked fine for tickets for the forum and so on.

advice so welcome.

I'm having the same trouble as the OP and I'm losing my marbles. I've been trying off and on for weeks. Looking for tickets for June 15th, so I'm not too far out, but I'm starting to get worried about them selling out. I've tried several different cards, including my debit card (but probably used as a VISA). I'm using the official Vatican website.

I looked on Tripadvisor forum and saw some postings advising that it is being blocked at the credit card company level. So I called my credit card company, and said what was suggested on trip advisor, but it hasn't helped. The woman I talked to at my credit card company said they are getting a lot of calls about it, and they believe it relates to the Vatican not processing credit cards when they are not open. At the time I was hoping the trip advisor advice would do the trick, so I didn't probe for more. Is this plausible? I've usually tried to buy the tickets either evenings or weekends for me.

I'm now kind of locked into a certain day because of other plans I've made. Should I see if my hotel could somehow buy for me? Would it be obnoxious to ask the guide we have hired? he had just told me to buy through the website, which worked fine for tickets for the forum and so on.

advice so welcome.

Why don't you just bite the bullet and by a tour thru a local tour guide company

One trip we took a private guide for the 6 of us who of course was able to skip the line

One trip I just booked the tickets thru the Vatican with no guide because we didn't want one

Big difference in price

I'd start with viator 1st and yes I know they are just a tour reseller to get an idea of the prices. II find viator does not markup the tours at all as I've found the same tours at the same price in the past directly from the tour operator

Good point, cruisemom! When I tried this morning it might have been just after 5 (9 hour difference I think). I will try after midnight tonight and see if that works.

Cruisin6, good point. I think part of my panic is that I long ago engaged a guide and he directed me to buy my own tickets. I'm not above buying a tour but I hate to jettison him at a relatively late date just because I can't get the dang website to work. I probably should email him though, and let him know what's going on.

Thanks, Emily

Just to add....when I bought my tickets for tours.... and especially if I had questions and wanted to chat before purchasing....I recall doing it around 4am..

I still remember dh asking me where I was going at 4am (it wasn't the bathroom either) and me saying "I have to get on the horn with the Vatican." Lol . A great line that I still use to this day whenever I'm online doing travel planning....as I am right now...and someone is interrupting me

The kids were much younger then of course but they really got a kick out of me saying I was talking to the Vatican at 4am

I had the same issue and tried for a long time to place the order using a visa. Then I read on TA. Try a mastercard. This worked.

I booked directly for Friday Night opening. It was 20 Euros (this includes the 4 euro convenience fee).

Edited by lifeasme123

Good point, cruisemom! When I tried this morning it might have been just after 5 (9 hour difference I think). I will try after midnight tonight and see if that works.

Cruisin6, good point. I think part of my panic is that I long ago engaged a guide and he directed me to buy my own tickets. I'm not above buying a tour but I hate to jettison him at a relatively late date just because I can't get the dang website to work. I probably should email him though, and let him know what's going on.

Thanks, Emily

In 2008 our guide bought our tickets for us. She had them in her hand when we met her down the street from the Vatican. We walked right in with her. This was a morning in July

Stefano of romecabs arranged it for us just a day earlier. We took a day tour with him (we felt we wanted this type of tour for our 1st time back in Rome in many years and the baby was only 7 at the time) he just asked if we wanted a private tour the next day with a guide. He made a quick call and arranged the guide ( a close friend of his and very good btw) told us where to meet her and how much

I knew prices so the tix were regular price it was of course the private guide that was expensive.

Don't recall the total price. Sorry

Thanks this is helpful. Neither my husband or I have a mastercard. Planning to try late night tonight. Have emailed the tour guide in case he can buy for us, or just so he knows. Good point that I could try to call too.

Thanks this is helpful. Neither my husband or I have a mastercard. Planning to try late night tonight. Have emailed the tour guide in case he can buy for us, or just so he knows. Good point that I could try to call too.

Sorry I didn't read through the entire thread. I thought you were trying to do a DIY and not use a tour guide. If you are using a tour guide, I thought they would get it for you.

I booked direct with the vatican web cite using my visa card. had a difficult time and almost gave up. it was the bank who was holding up the transaction and they finally said they would contact me via e mail or cell phone, my choice, with a security number to use for 10 minutes for the transaction. this worked. perhaps the banks are cautious because of U.S.purchase bought with euros.

Just an FYI. Viator actually had some Vatican skip the line tix without guide for a sort of reasonable price I believe

Still more $$$$ than via the Vatican direct but at least you would get skip the line

Of course timing coordination with the guide might be an issue

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem with two different cards, one credit and one debit, on two different computers. I called both cc companies to make sure there would be no fraud alert. I was finally able to get the credit card to go through using my phone. Two different computers with different browsers would not work, but my phone did!