First time cruise coming up in May very exicted, have a question.

TheGrinch008

Hello All,

Coming up in May will be my first time going on a cruise and I am getting pretty excited. Will be going on a 14 day cruise to the Mediterranean on the Crown Princess. A good friend of mine is a veteran of going on cruises and has been helpful in giving me advice and tips but he has not been on the Crown Princess so I have a question I am hoping someone will be able to answer.

I have been looking up the deck plans for the ship, but I was wondering in addition to the jogging track on the 19th deck if there were any other places that others have used for jogging/running. I know with all the other things that are exciting on board that I could ask about, asking about the jogging track is odd, but I love to eat and I plan on doing a lot of that on board and so I figured I would need some way of keeping in shape. ;)

If anyone has any good, secret spots for running please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Hello All,

Coming up in May will be my first time going on a cruise and I am getting pretty excited. Will be going on a 14 day cruise to the Mediterranean on the Crown Princess. A good friend of mine is a veteran of going on cruises and has been helpful in giving me advice and tips but he has not been on the Crown Princess so I have a question I am hoping someone will be able to answer.

I have been looking up the deck plans for the ship, but I was wondering in addition to the jogging track on the 19th deck if there were any other places that others have used for jogging/running. I know with all the other things that are exciting on board that I could ask about, asking about the jogging track is odd, but I love to eat and I plan on doing a lot of that on board and so I figured I would need some way of keeping in shape. ;)

If anyone has any good, secret spots for running please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Many folks jog on the Promenade deck... just be courteous of the walkers.

Please do not be one of those thoughtless joggers who like to jog on decks above passenger cabins early in the morning. Some people like to sleep late while on vacation. Also remember that the ship's gym has lots of treadmills for joggers. Using them inconveniences no one.

Hello All,

No real good spots for running. The promenade deck can be used early in the morning before the walkers are out there and then around dinner time. You will have to go up/down a flight of stairs to get the 360 degree loop. It's 2.7 laps per mile.

The running track you mention is short about 10 laps to the mile. It can be very windy up there.

There are the treadmills in the fitness center. If the fitness center is crowded your time could be limited.

A Med. cruise is very port intensive, you may not have time for runs.

If you are leaving the ship later in the morning for your tours or get back early you may be able to run at the port itself.

I would second the gym idea. I know it is not the same as an open air jog, but the front facing windows are nice. You can pretend that you are jogging on the ocean, which you kind of are;p. Word of caution, it can get crowed, usually soon after it opens. Often less busy mid day.

The promenade is nice. It has steps at the front so you can get some stepper in also, unless it is too windy and they close it down. That happened quite often on our last cruise. Here I would suggest a brisk walk rather than a jog. It is narrow in places and sometimes filled with walkers and standers just admiring the view. The DW does this while I'm at the gym.

Hi All,

Thank you for all the great responses! I have thought of the fitness center but was thinking that it may be too crowded plus it opens up later than when I wanted to go on a run (7am I think). I guess baring any bad weather I will aim to go to the jogging track, last thing I would want is to inconvenience fellow passengers cause after all everyone just wants a nice getaway and I don't plan on ruining it for anyone. Thanks again for the responses!

Hi All,

Thank you for all the great responses! I have thought of the fitness center but was thinking that it may be too crowded plus it opens up later than when I wanted to go on a run (7am I think). I guess baring any bad weather I will aim to go to the jogging track, last thing I would want is to inconvenience fellow passengers cause after all everyone just wants a nice getaway and I don't plan on ruining it for anyone. Thanks again for the responses!

I you really run at 7am then you will probably be fine on the promenade deck. Sometimes when the ship is in port, sections of the promenade are closed off for maintenance, fueling and other things.

This falls under the category that "it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission" - or however that old saying goes. But I've found that the theatre is empty a lot of the time, and you can do a nice loop up over the stage, then up and down the aisles and stairs. I've also run the halls where the cabins are, done a few flights of stairs, then run another circle of halls. I do a lot of running down 8 flights of stairs, then walking up four. Of course you have to be considerate of others in those spaces, but if you're creative you can find many ways to get your heart rate up while avoiding the gym.