Princess Fine to be 40 Million

cruzsnooze

There was indeed a thread about Friends of the Earth's report card and criticism of their scoring system last December:

Friends of the Earth issue their 2016 cruise ship report card

And of course there were several threads about the $40 million fine around the same time.

Have a little patience: this topic will soon go away again for another 6-12 months. And we can devote our full energy once again to more deserving issues like price drops and tote bags.

Both.

It would be foolish to think that anything about cruising is environmentally friendly. My main qualm is with Princess' dishonesty. If they are dishonest about illegal discharging SEE: BREAKING THE LAW -- (and it goes all the way to the top, despite the Princess loyalists wishing to believe otherwise)...What other important issues(like passenger safety) are they less than honest about, in favor of the bottom line?

To me, integrity is of utmost importance when deciding who gets my patronage for a service or product.

For others, scruples may not matter as much.

HAL(along with most other mainstream cruise lines) offer a much better value(what one actually gets for their buck) than Princess of late. That's my personal opinion. Princess isn't worth it, unless heavily discounted.

You might want to do a search on HAL environmental violation. None of the major cruise lines are totally clean. The major difference in this case was the whisthe blower and the action by the engineer to cover it up.

Since the person who brought this to the authorities attention got a 1 million USD award - i suspect if this is still happening it will soon be known...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-39704105

The EPA reward for reporting violations has been in effect for decades, and is one of the major reasons that the cruise lines are as I've called them the shining stars of maritime environmental compliance. Compared to a cargo ship with a crew of 20, a cruise ship has 2000-5000 passengers with cell phone cameras just looking to cash in and get their cruises paid for for life. Other jurisdictions do not allow for rewards to whistleblowers, so it is not a guaranteed jackpot, and even with the rewards being longstanding, it still does occur.

What sorts of violations would any of the 2000-5000 passengers be in a position to observe and blow the whistle on? Have there been cases of ordinary passengers cashing in on this sort of reward?

Oh, yes. There were a few cases back 15 years ago, where passengers took pictures of trash being thrown over the side.