Help on St George's visit

gschwartz001

Yes, that's it. We have 6 in our group so no worries on needing more people. I just don't want to spend 2 hours on a bus or taxi. Just too long of a drive. Looks like we will likely be hanging out in Hamilton or the dockyard Saturday night. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help and the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A taxi would take about an hour. Faster than a bus. A bus is picking up and dropping off people. Making stops. Taxis can make better time.

Don't count on being able to get a taxi in St. George at night, particularly to take you all the way back to Dockyard at the far opposite side of the islands. For years there have been reports of the lack of taxi availability there at night.

A taxi for six, if you can get one, will cost about $96 plus tip for the trip from St. George to Dockyard.

Don't count on being able to get a taxi in St. George at night, particularly to take you all the way back to Dockyard at the far opposite side of the islands. For years there have been reports of the lack of taxi availability there at night.

A taxi for six, if you can get one, will cost about $96 plus tip for the trip from St. George to Dockyard.

The tours FAQ says they can arrange a taxi back to the Dockyard for cruise ship passengers.

http://www.hauntedhistorybda.com/faq

The tours FAQ says they can arrange a taxi back to the Dockyard for cruise ship passengers.

http://www.hauntedhistorybda.com/faq

I wouldn't expect the FAQs to say that you can expect to be stranded there. ;)

Restaurant owners in the East End have complained about the lack of taxi service there at night causing them to lose business. If it were easy to get a taxi then why can't the restaurant owners arrange for a taxi just as this tour operator claims it can?

I wouldn't expect the FAQs to say that you can expect to be stranded there. ;)

Restaurant owners in the East End have complained about the lack of taxi service there at night causing them to lose business. If it were easy to get a taxi then why can't the restaurant owners arrange for a taxi just as this tour operator claims it can?

I would not expect a tour operator to claim they could arrange taxis if they could not. They would say nothing about taxis. The tour has very good reviews on TripAdvisor. Tour operators tend not to make claims that could come back and bite them and result in a bad review.

I would not expect a tour operator to claim they could arrange taxis if they could not. They would say nothing about taxis. The tour has very good reviews on TripAdvisor. Tour operators tend not to make claims that could come back and bite them and result in a bad review.

Glad you mentioned reviews.

If you take a close look at the 38 TripAdvisor reviews of this tour, 19 are from residents of Bermuda and another 5 are almost certainly not from cruise visitors at Dockyard because the tours were taken out of the cruising season, or the reviewer mentioned something that would lead one to believe they were not cruise ship passengers. It wouldn't surprise me if a substantial percentage of the remaining 14 reviews were also not from cruise passengers on ships berthed at Dockyard, but there's no way to know exactly how many.

It's pretty likely based on the reviews that they rarely have to arrange for a taxi to transport anyone back to Dockyard.

It's pretty likely based on the reviews that they rarely have to arrange for a taxi to transport anyone back to Dockyard.

According to their blog they ran a shuttle back to the Dockyard last year. If they want cruise passengers to book they need to do the same this season. I don't think they will book many cruise passengers for their tours if the return is an expensive taxi trip or a two hour plus bus ride.

According to their blog they ran a shuttle back to the Dockyard last year. If they want cruise passengers to book they need to do the same this season. I don't think they will book many cruise passengers for their tours if the return is an expensive taxi trip or a two hour plus bus ride.

Yes Charles! Thank you for the info. You are correct. I am interested in the tour but hesitate due to the transportation issues. An hour is much better and definitely bearable but ouch the price!

We were looking to do St George the first day and checking out Horseshoe bay that Sunday. The new facilities look very nice and from what I've read make that beach much easier on those with mobility issues. I will have my elderly mother that can walk by herself but has issues with steps and hard inclined/declines. The new entrance looks amazing! Kudos to the Bermudian Government for the great upgrade!

I can tell already that I'm likely to fall in love with Bermuda and will have to go back for more!

Well that's not what you said before. You cited the FAQs which indicated they can arrange for a taxi...hardly the same as running a shuttle. A taxi made no sense from a cost point of view or from an availability point of view. I guess they figured that out. Off hand I didn't see anything that gave a price for the shuttle.

The blog post is from 2016, not anything current and it mentions conducting the tour three nights per week. But if you try to book a 2017 tour it's only done twice a week, so if that information in the old blog post is wrong, maybe the information on the shuttle is wrong too.

Edited by njhorseman

i will be in Bermuda in September with my Mom. Was thinking of a trip to St. George's then lunch at the Swizzle Inn and Baileys ice cream for dessert. What is the best way to get to St George's from the dockyard? And then to get to the swizzle inn and back to the dockyard. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Apparently there is a new shuttle from Dockyard to Tobacco Bay that's $45.

An alternative, and I'd recommend this before taking the bus, is the public ferry from Dockyard to St. George's.

Edited by GottaLoveBermuda

Another great option is the new shuttle from Dockyard to Tobacco Bay Beach Bar & Restaurant. It's a $45 air conditioned shuttle with wifi that takes you right from the cruise dock to the beach and they welcome you with a swizzle! It's awesome !

An alternative, and I'd recommend this before taking the bus, is the public ferry from Dockyard to St. George's it is also air conditioned and you get to see great sights on the way.

Is that $45/person for a one way ride? That seems pretty steep just for transportation?