Allure 7 day vs Anthem 12 day

I'm trying to decide between a 7 day cruise on the Allure or a 12 day on the Anthem, both in January 2018. We live about 2 hours from the NY port so we could go on the Anthem without paying for plane tickets. Flying to FL to go on the Allure would cost around $1000 for the 3 of us. We could apply that money to the Anthem and go on a much longer cruise.

But I have a couple of questions.

I've watched a number of videos about the Allure and there is a ton of great activities for the family. Cupcake making, parades, deck parties, shows. It's definitely a show stopper entertainment wise. How does the Anthem compare? I assume it's similar but I haven't found as much about it as I did the Allure. We're traveling with our 5 year old so I want to make sure she will have just as much fun.

Since I'm comparing prices, I also want to consider what extras might be involved in a longer cruise. I know beverage packages, tips, parking at the port, and potentially specialty dining and shore excursions would alll be more on a longer cruise. Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that I should consider? This will be my first time on RCI since I went on the Nordic Empress in the early 90s!

Also, I'd welcome any thoughts from anyone with experience cruising out of a cold port in January.

... Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that I should consider? This will be my first time on RCI since I went on the Nordic Empress in the early 90s!... .

Gratuities will be more on a longer cruise.

I'd go with Anthem for the longer cruise and the savings in airfare!

Your daughter will have fun on both--they both have kids pools. And Anthem also has Seaplex which has bumper cars--not sure if there is a height/age restriction, but hopefully she can ride along!

Anthem still has the DreamWorks experience, so your daughter can meet the characters.

I wouldn't worry sailing out of w cold port on Anthem--there's an indoor pool in addition to the main pool and the Solarium. The Quantum class ships are made for cold weather.

And for the adults, there's TONS to do: Ripcord, Flowrider, Two70, Music Hall, and We Will Rock You. And everyone can ride the North Star!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd go with Anthem for the longer cruise and the savings in airfare!

Your daughter will have fun on both--they both have kids pools. And Anthem also has Seaplex which has bumper cars--not sure if there is a height/age restriction, but hopefully she can ride along!

Anthem still has the DreamWorks experience, so your daughter can meet the characters.

I wouldn't worry sailing out of w cold port on Anthem--there's an indoor pool in addition to the main pool and the Solarium. The Quantum class ships are made for cold weather.

And for the adults, there's TONS to do: Ripcord, Flowrider, Two70, Music Hall, and We Will Rock You. And everyone can ride the North Star!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm disabled so I won't be able to participate in most of the sports activities. One of the reasons I'm excited about the Anthem is that it has pools in the Solarium that have stairs. I can do that but I cannot go up and down a ladder, which seems to be the only option on many ships. And I can easily wade into the kids pool too.

I will be content to mostly relax, enjoy good food, and watch the shows at night. My husband too. My biggest concern is family friendly stuff to do when we are not in the pool and my daughter is not at the kids club. Since I can't do the sporty stuff, I'm hoping there's a good variety of other options. It sounds like there will be though.

The kid pool is far better on Allure than Anthem. There's also a carousel, mini golf and ice skating rink that Anthem doesn't have. On the other side, Anthem has bumper cars, skydiving simulator, circus lessons, and the northstar, all of which aren't really for a 5 yo.

For bumper car and skydiving I believe there are age restrictions. What about ports of call? Any preferences?

The kid pool is far better on Allure than Anthem. There's also a carousel, mini golf and ice skating rink that Anthem doesn't have. On the other side, Anthem has bumper cars, skydiving simulator, circus lessons, and the northstar, all of which aren't really for a 5 yo.

For bumper car and skydiving I believe there are age restrictions. What about ports of call? Any preferences?

Yes. The kid pool is significantly better on the Allure but I think my daughter will not even think about it. She has fun in any pool. The other things on the Allure that you mentioned are definitely part of the draw.

I just looked up the age limits. The bumper cars she can ride in, not drive. The youngest age for skydiving is apparently 3! Crazy, but she'd be thrilled. I can't find the age for rock climbing but an old thread on the oasis said the age was 6. She will be super disappointed about that, of correct. She loves rock climbing.

As for ports, almost all of the cruises I've been on have gone to the eastern Caribbean, so Nassau, St Thomas, St. Maarten, etc. I'm pretty sick of those ports and never liked them much to begin with and I'm trying to avoid them. The Allure has a nice Western itinerary all to places I haven't been. The Anthem goes to St Maarten and San Juan (where I have also been, but really enjoyed), as well as 4 other ports I haven't been to. I've never been big on the ports so I'm not as concerned with those as other people might be. But I'd be most likely to get off the ship if I could easily go enjoy a beach.

Are you considering the Jan 7 or Jan 28 cruise? I will be in the Jan 28 cruise.

Not having to fly in Jan is huge for me. I can easily work around almost any kind of weather event, which is difficult to do with fixed plane reservations. I always have a plan B to arrive early in Newark in case of snow. For a 12 day cruise I would suggest doing a park/sleep cruise through trinityreservations.com to get a hotel room, 12+ days parking, and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people for less than the cost of 12 days parking at Cape Liberty.

IMO the 6 ports for the Anthem are a great itinerary if you enjoy beach days. Allure only goes to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel. The reviews for Jamaica always seem sketchy.

I've been doing these longer Cape Liberty cruises for about 10 years. I like the sea days to relax from traveling to the port and from running around the islands. I always come back feeling like I've been on an exciting vacation, but I'm well rested and relaxed as well. It's a good balance.

Anthem gets my vote - even though we are on Allure a week today we have done Oasis but I loved the iFly on Anthem/Quantum.

Also enjoyed the venues, shows, North Star and bumper cars. Two 70 is a great space too.

Itinerary is also better, longer cruise and no flying

I will add when we were on both Anthem and Quantum there were persons who had disabilities who were able to fly.

It will depend on how you are disabled and if its back or shoulder related then you would not be able to but they do have wheelchair lifts up to the flight area and the staff are there with you in the tunnel all the time.

I would suggest going up there and speaking to them, they need a bit of notice to get you suited up and in the lift as it has a couple of levels, same if you just want to watch your child fly give them a heads up.

Your little one can fly and will love it! Book and reserve on your planner ahead of time, easier to cancel then it is to get a spot once on board

Anthem for sure. I took 4 kids for spring break ..one was 6 and he LOVED it. Plus you can drive AND no pre or post cruise hotel. The trip to and from will be a breeze..no airport/airline issues. Plus it is longer! No brainer in my mind.

Are you considering the Jan 7 or Jan 28 cruise? I will be in the Jan 28 cruise.

Not having to fly in Jan is huge for me. I can easily work around almost any kind of weather event, which is difficult to do with fixed plane reservations. I always have a plan B to arrive early in Newark in case of snow. For a 12 day cruise I would suggest doing a park/sleep cruise through trinityreservations.com to get a hotel room, 12+ days parking, and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people for less than the cost of 12 days parking at Cape Liberty.

IMO the 6 ports for the Anthem are a great itinerary if you enjoy beach days. Allure only goes to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel. The reviews for Jamaica always seem sketchy.

I've been doing these longer Cape Liberty cruises for about 10 years. I like the sea days to relax from traveling to the port and from running around the islands. I always come back feeling like I've been on an exciting vacation, but I'm well rested and relaxed as well. It's a good balance.

Most likely the Jan 7 cruise since it's a bit less expensive than the Jan 28 cruise. I agree, not having to fly, especially in January, is one of the biggest reasons we're interested in this. I'd rather spend the days I'd be flying on a cruise ship, even if it is cold, than in an airplane.

Your suggestion to do a park/sleep/cruise is a great one! Parking at Bayonne will cost about $260 and that would also eliminate a lot of stress.

I have to go review the ports on the Anthem some more. If they offer beach days I will be thrilled! One thing I don't want to give up are warm sunny days. Part of my interest in the 12 day was that it was long enough to be down in the Caribbean for a significant amount of time before turning around and heading back to the cold. I should still get a 7 day Caribbean cruise right in the middle of it!

Anthem gets my vote - even though we are on Allure a week today we have done Oasis but I loved the iFly on Anthem/Quantum.

Also enjoyed the venues, shows, North Star and bumper cars. Two 70 is a great space too.

Itinerary is also better, longer cruise and no flying

I will add when we were on both Anthem and Quantum there were persons who had disabilities who were able to fly.

It will depend on how you are disabled and if its back or shoulder related then you would not be able to but they do have wheelchair lifts up to the flight area and the staff are there with you in the tunnel all the time.

I would suggest going up there and speaking to them, they need a bit of notice to get you suited up and in the lift as it has a couple of levels, same if you just want to watch your child fly give them a heads up.

Your little one can fly and will love it! Book and reserve on your planner ahead of time, easier to cancel then it is to get a spot once on board

Thanks for mentioning the accessibility features of the skydiving. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it or even want to it I could because I'd most likely end up in a lot of pain after. But I will definitely go ahead of time with my daughter. Thanks for the tips!

There is an elevator at Northstar, so you could do that if you wanted to. I would look up the age limit for Northstar because I think you daughter would be able to do it too. I am deathly afraid of heights but loved Northstar! The ride is very smooth and there is lots of room for people to move around.

Is there a limit of how many people can ride the northstar at once, or they fill it up as much as they can?

Only 14 people on Northstar at a time. Lots of room to move about and see in all directions. They have binoculars to use too. We rode after we had gone under the Verrazano bridge so still had lots to see, not just water in all directions.

Thanks for mentioning the accessibility features of the skydiving. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it or even want to it I could because I'd most likely end up in a lot of pain after. But I will definitely go ahead of time with my daughter. Thanks for the tips!

Sounds like you made your decision. :) Have a great cruise.

Anthem for sure. I took 4 kids for spring break ..one was 6 and he LOVED it. Plus you can drive AND no pre or post cruise hotel. The trip to and from will be a breeze..no airport/airline issues. Plus it is longer! No brainer in my mind.

You're right, it IS a no brained. Don't know what I was thinking even questioning it. :D

There is an elevator at Northstar, so you could do that if you wanted to. I would look up the age limit for Northstar because I think you daughter would be able to do it too. I am deathly afraid of heights but loved Northstar! The ride is very smooth and there is lots of room for people to move around.

I'm afraid of heights too. But I will go on it and have a mini panic attack inside lol.

Fantastic. Are you on the ship now or are you able to sign up for these things ahead of time?

I sail in a little over 2 weeks. I was able to sign up through my cruise planner. It showed up a few weeks ago.

We are also doing the Dreamworks Breakfast, Sushi making class, ifly, and north star. Signed up for everything in the cruise planner online.