Anyone watch Poseiden Adventure?

thulewx

It was AWFUL!!

From the details (huge balconies but tiny partial balcony dividers), porters in cutsey uniforms, to the brat with the camera who seemed to have unlimited access to all parts of the ship unsupervised, to the security guy in dark clothing and sunglasses scowling all the time, yet trying to be discete :cool: ...

And the masseuse coming on to Steve Gutenberg while massaging - real professional :rolleyes: .

Puhleeze.....

If a modern Cruise ship with balconies turns upside down all passenger areas and cabins are underwater. So all the dry cabin and dinning rooms scenes were impossible after the ship turns over. As for the masseuse coming on to Steve Gutenberg unless Merv Griffen has taken up massage I find that unlikely for anybody professional or not.

I enjoyed the movie (just for fun) but, the same as you, found it unrealistic and far fetched - bad security, huge crew quarters, no privacy partitions on balconies, improbable boarding location. No ship I"ve been on has the dance floor in the dining room. Dining room had too few tables spaced too far apart. No explanation of how all those guns got on board. etc etc etc

Let's be honest, you don't tamper with a classic!

However, what really shocked me was in the first few scenes, as passengers are boarding and the exposition is being explained, ther were several shots of brochures, boarding "posters," etc. declaring that the ship was known as the "SS" Poseidon. Who are they kidding?? That was about as much a steamship as I'm Stella Stevens with a big diamond in her cleavage! And that song the "American Idol" wannabe sang? Could it have been (lycrically) more of a "Morning After" rip-off?? After that, I turned to Desperate Housewives, where my TV belongs on a Sunday night!

I not only watched Poseidon, but Titantic was on yesterday afternoon on HBO. :)

As a first time cruiser, these are probaly not the movies I should be watching. :)

That's funny, my partner and I traditionally watch TITANIC the night before we leave for each cruise....kind of a "sick" tradition I guess! LOL

Not as sick FJTinnc as watching The Poseidon Adventure.

I deliberately missed the made for TV remake of the Poseidon. I was one of the purists who was horrified to learn of the terrorist plotline and the disappearance of the tidal wave. A pox on NBC! LOL.

Anyway, I went out and bought the DVD of the original film today and realized just how much of a classic it is despite some calls from those who call it cheesy and silly. A great man vs. nature film set in a claustrophobic setting with an all star cast.

The Celebrity board is having a similar discussion and from what I have seen I am glad I did not watch the TV movie last night. Its been called a stinker all around.

Now, is everyone aware that Wolfgang Petersen of Das Boot fame is actually making a theatrical remake set for release in May 2006? I have higher hopes for that as I loved Das Boot and the tidal wave returns in this version. but will it be good?

i tuned into the last half after Desperate Housewives...

...what a crock!

If the wall of windows at the back of the Dining Room was at the back of the ship - why was the stern round? (Nobody builds round sterns anymore anyway - they dont work w/ the azipods)

...and there are no 3-deck high engine rooms anymore, much less w/ all that air-space and catwalks...

...and what was on fire in the engine room anyway? if it was spilled diesel (unlikely) it would have burned the ship to cinders by the time those poor sods ever got up (Down?) there.

I 'loved' the part at the end where "The ship is going down fast!" and it wasnt even moving!

What a waste of videotape....

It really was a clunker! I especially enjoyed the scene in the Navy communications room where they were discussing trying to find the missing ship. The computer monitor in the background was displaying an upside-down Poseidon schematic rotating. Very odd since they hadn't found it yet and didn't know it was inverted! Plus, if the crew cabins really looked like that, I'd sign on to work instead of cruise (well, probably not). Odd too, how the second officer on the bridge got shot in the shoulder and died! Weird. But then, so was the whole movie.

I'm a big fan of Disaster movies and a TA that specializes in cruises so I HAD to watch the Poseidon Adventure. I'll come right out and say it, it didn't hold a candle to the original which is a classic in my opinion. I did not like the terrorist spin either, enough already.

Now, the rooms were awesome, I'm waiting for the letters of complaint from families of 4 booking inside quads saying, "My room didn't look anything like that!" LOL.

Also, I am sooooooo thrilled to know that the next time my cruise ship capsizes, the internet connection will work and I can send an email for help. Will I still need to pay $.50 a minute though? If I survive, I'll write a letter to the cruise line.

Things I missed: The song, "Morning After".

Thanks for letting me share.

My two favorite bits were the upside down ship on the computer image prior to the ship being found (as someone else mentioned), and also

the idea that the ship was floating upside down with NO WINDOWS showing, yet the pressure of the ocean hadn't caused a single window to break in the dining room.

I guess I have a 3rd.... the fact that when the ship originally capsized, it was dark & stormy. The ship stayed upside down until it was bright & blue-skied, but as soon as help finally arrived, the ship apparently only had 30 minutes left before it would sink...and the guys from the outside, knew this somehow.

And the length of that email she sent as an SOS!!! All that was missing was a list of what she got for Christmas, and a "Wish you were here." Ridiculous. And the internet connections are never working when most ships are upright, let alone inverted. But I had some good laughs. Did anyone notice the sexual tension when the rescue team guy looked through the wreckage and gazed into the eyes of the ship's Homeland security Alpha male? Well, blow me down!!!

After the ship flipped over and I saw the old lady climb up the tree that was enough.

This might sound stupid, but the ceilings on new ships are metal and hung/ suspended.....to walk on them just doesn't work. Also the size of the azipods when she was upside down.......they were huge.......details details details.

Steve Gutenberg...still nice hull on him......too bad it wasn't the alpha male and him.....now that would be a story line.......

Steve Gutenberg...still nice hull on him......too bad it wasn't the alpha male and him.....now that would be a story line.......

I noticed that too – probably one of the best things of the whole movie…if you could call it a movie. I’m sorry – Poseiden Adventure without Shelly Winters? Sacrilege. And where was Alec Baldwin? He was in the credits - how come I couldn't find him?

Did anyone notice the sexual tension when the rescue team guy looked through the wreckage and gazed into the eyes of the ship's Homeland security Alpha male? Well, blow me down!!!

I missed that too – I think it was because I was in a near coma from almost three hours of mind-numbing “entertainment.”

bdjam-

It wasnt Alec Baldwin, it was Adam Baldwin... not related. Adam Baldwin played the not-so-undercover-sea-marshal character.

Yeah, anyway... what was with Guttenberg's body??? WOW. His face looks like a Pound Puppy but his chest and arms were pretty rockin!!!!!

~Intrepid

Ok, here are another few things...

What ship out there actually has its designation on the hull with its name??? "SS POSIEDON"??? You surely don't see "MV Whatever" out there... dumb, dumb, dumb.

How many 135,000 ton ships are steam driven?

How many steam ships have been built in the last 30 years?

If there was flooded decks below the ballroom (actually above it since the ship was upside down) how come none of it drained down through the ship? Is every deck watertight?

How did all those people on the passenger decks die? When the ship flipped, it was relatively slow, they should have rolled up the wall and on to the ceiling... did they drown in the 6 inches of water on the floor??? Even the ones sitting up (and dead)??? You know the ceilings are not very high either, and that is the only reason I "bought it" in the ballroom.

How many modern ships are controlled by the bridge exclusively? The "terrorist" that killed all the bridge crew with one shot each, flipped about 5 switches and the ship was cut off from the world!!!! Where are the redundant systems??

There had to be a LOT of water to flip that ship (which is practically impossible anyway), some how enough water RUSHED in a barely 8 foot hole to flood AND flip a HUGE ship in less than 5 minutes. HA!

I know there is more, but I am brain dead thinking about it.

~Intrepid

bdjam-

It wasnt Alec Baldwin, it was Adam Baldwin... not related. Adam Baldwin played the not-so-undercover-sea-marshal character.

:o

Thanks for the clarification…I guess I was somewhat uninterested from the moment the credits rolled… :rolleyes:

Yeah, anyway... what was with Guttenberg's body??? WOW. His face looks like a Pound Puppy but his chest and arms were pretty rockin!!!!!
I think he needs a good face moisturizer. I would volunteer to apply it…
There had to be a LOT of water to flip that ship (which is practically impossible anyway), some how enough water RUSHED in a barely 8 foot hole to flood AND flip a HUGE ship in less than 5 minutes.
What was it they kept saying? “Metacentric height…?” What the heck does that mean? But that’s supposedly why it rolled over…? It would seem the script writers might have heard of “ballast” and it's negative effects on ships rolling over like a dead whale.

Archived