Suite butler pros and cons?

Doughty3

On the Oceana you won't be able to go through the butler for everything. There is only one butler and he has a break in the afternoons. Just ring room service if he is on his break and tell them you are in a suite and there should be no charge. You can as people have said order from the MDR menu but you will have to tell him when he comes to see you in the morning. We normally saw him when he brought breakfast. If we weren't going to be there, we would leave the menu marked with what we wanted.

We have always tipped the butler extra.

We find the butler service to be over-rated. Of the four butlers we have experienced, we have never been offered main dining room meals in our suite. Butlers are always keen to tell you about the Select dining breakfast venue and how fantastic it is. Yes it is, and it's one of the main reasons we have booked suites, but it's obviously code for 'so there's no need to ask me to get you breakfast'. The only things we use them for is delivery of the (usually very poor) canapés and to provide the next days MDR menus. When we have enquired about booking Select dining restaurants they have pointed us to the reservations phone number. When enquiring about food in our suite we have been directed to room service. Frankly, I have come to the conclusion that they do as little as they can get away with. I know that some people get them to do things like packing and unpacking but neither my wife nor I would feel comfortable about asking staff to do things like that for us. It smacks of colonialism or subservience and wouldn't sit comfortably with us. Yes, you could issue them with a long list of requirements and yes they will oblige (in expectation of a large gratuity at the end of your cruise), but I would like to see the supposed suite benefits proactively offered in a genuine way. We don't decline the service as we have paid for it, but if I were to list the benefits of a Suite as far as we are concerned, butlers would be right at the bottom of the list.

We find the butler service to be over-rated. Of the four butlers we have experienced, we have never been offered main dining room meals in our suite. Butlers are always keen to tell you about the Select dining breakfast venue and how fantastic it is. Yes it is, and it's one of the main reasons we have booked suites, but it's obviously code for 'so there's no need to ask me to get you breakfast'. The only things we use them for is delivery of the (usually very poor) canapés and to provide the next days MDR menus. When we have enquired about booking Select dining restaurants they have pointed us to the reservations phone number. When enquiring about food in our suite we have been directed to room service. Frankly, I have come to the conclusion that they do as little as they can get away with. I know that some people get them to do things like packing and unpacking but neither my wife nor I would feel comfortable about asking staff to do things like that for us. It smacks of colonialism or subservience and wouldn't sit comfortably with us. Yes, you could issue them with a long list of requirements and yes they will oblige (in expectation of a large gratuity at the end of your cruise), but I would like to see the supposed suite benefits proactively offered in a genuine way. We don't decline the service as we have paid for it, but if I were to list the benefits of a Suite as far as we are concerned, butlers would be right at the bottom of the list.

Selbourne they never mention about the in cabin meals. But all you do Is ask. I am always answered by a, certainly sir.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I have never found that to be the case at all. Even the butler I considered to have not been as good as he should have been would never have refused to serve us meals in our cabin. Compared to your experience he was obviously much better than I gave him credit for. In fact we had one butler on the Oriana who was worried that he had offended us because we hadn’t asked him to do very much for us. That was in spite of the fact that we had breakfast in the cabin every day and several evening meals too. Although it’s not usually done he even brought us breakfast on the morning of disembarkation. We’ve never asked a butler to pack or unpack preferring to do it ourselves but If any butler had refused to serve me food in my cabin I would have made a complaint on the ship as he was obviously not doing the job properly.

Edited by pisces14
some peculiar text appeared

I have never found that to be the case at all. Even the butler I considered to have not been as good as he should have been would never have refused to serve us meals in our cabin. Compared to your experience he was obviously much better than I gave him credit for. In fact we had one butler on the Oriana who was worried that he had offended us because we hadn’t asked him to do very much for us. That was in spite of the fact that we had breakfast in the cabin every day and several evening meals too. Although it’s not usually done he even brought us breakfast on the morning of disembarkation. We’ve never asked a butler to pack or unpack preferring to do it ourselves but If any butler had refused to serve me food in my cabin I would have made a complaint on the ship as he was obviously not doing the job properly.

The very first one we had was dire. He didn't even appear until the end of the 2nd day (and we had been in our suite quite a bit) and his opening line was about how overworked he was. Everything was an effort and we were left feeling that we wouldn't feel comfortable asking him for anything. I did complain and he was changed. The replacement was lovely and far more obliging, but never offered in suite dining, other than room service. To be honest, we don't really see much point in dining in our suite when we can use the fantastic Select dining venues, but there are occasions when I might want to go ashore and Mrs Selbourne may wish to stay on board. On our first cruise the butler did bring her lunch and lay a table (which she thought was wonderful) BUT the food was from room service and not the main dining room. I shall take daiB's advice and make it clear that we are aware that we are entitled to MDR items and not just room service items. Again, it would be nice to be offered these things (that you have, after all, paid a hefty premium for) rather than feel that you have to make it clear that you know what you are entitled to.

For the benefit of the OP, the things that we value about a Suite are (in priority order);

1) The extra space and facilities

2) The for and aft locations with the spectacular views that they provide

3) Breakfast in Select Dining restaurants

4) Priority Embarkation

5) Priority tender passes

6) Champagne, chocs etc

7) Dressing Gowns etc

Things we don't value;

1) The daily canapés (they are pathetic)

2) The food and drink provided at the priority boarders lunch isn't up to much.

3) Butler 'service'.

4) The lack of on-board benefits / priveliges for Suite passengers compared to many other cruise lines.

5) The high price!

High price Selbourne, at least half of our suite cruises have worked out cheaper pppn than our balcony on Aurora in 2017. How on earth do you think we can cruise as often.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The very first one we had was dire. He didn't even appear until the end of the 2nd day (and we had been in our suite quite a bit) and his opening line was about how overworked he was. Everything was an effort and we were left feeling that we wouldn't feel comfortable asking him for anything. I did complain and he was changed. The replacement was lovely and far more obliging, but never offered in suite dining, other than room service. To be honest, we don't really see much point in dining in our suite when we can use the fantastic Select dining venues, but there are occasions when I might want to go ashore and Mrs Selbourne may wish to stay on board. On our first cruise the butler did bring her lunch and lay a table (which she thought was wonderful) BUT the food was from room service and not the main dining room. I shall take daiB's advice and make it clear that we are aware that we are entitled to MDR items and not just room service items. Again, it would be nice to be offered these things (that you have, after all, paid a hefty premium for) rather than feel that you have to make it clear that you know what you are entitled to.

For the benefit of the OP, the things that we value about a Suite are (in priority order);

1) The extra space and facilities

2) The for and aft locations with the spectacular views that they provide

3) Breakfast in Select Dining restaurants

4) Priority Embarkation

5) Priority tender passes

6) Champagne, chocs etc

7) Dressing Gowns etc

Things we don't value;

1) The daily canapés (they are pathetic)

2) The food and drink provided at the priority boarders lunch isn't up to much.

3) Butler 'service'.

4) The lack of on-board benefits / priveliges for Suite passengers compared to many other cruise lines.

5) The high price!

I do agree that there should be far more benefits for suite passengers for the prices charged especially on the smaller ships.

I was under the impression that the butler is optional except if you are in the Penthouse on the Aurora. So you don’t have to have one if you don’t want. Personally I have found them very useful. As I’ve said on this thread there is only a coffee table in the Oceana suites. I believe since the re-fit the same is so for the Oriana. The reason we ate several times in our suite on the Oriana was because we had a very unpleasant waiter in the MDR so we alternated between the Sorrento (sadly gone) and our suite. On the Aurora we were in the Penthouse suite on our World cruises and on a cruise of that length it was sometimes less tiring to eat in the suite. We also had friends around for the evening occasionally.

Yes, I would agree you should tell the butler what you require that’s what you’ve paid for. It would seem from your experience some will get away with doing as little as possible.

High price Selbourne, at least half of our suite cruises have worked out cheaper pppn than our balcony on Aurora in 2017. How on earth do you think we can cruise as often.

How did you achieve that? Do you cruise on the larger ships and are the suites cheaper on those.?:confused:

Do you mean 2017 or was that a typo? Assuming that you meant 2007 (or earlier) then yes cruises are a lot cheaper these days, so I get what you mean, but I am referring to the price differential between a suite and a regular balcony cabin, which is a premium of around 50-60%. That equates to several thousand pounds extra for a 2 week cruise and for that level of extra spend I don't expect to have to issue a Butler with a list or explain to him what I have paid for and am entitled to - it should be offered automatically!

Do you mean 2017 or was that a typo? Assuming that you meant 2007 (or earlier) then yes cruises are a lot cheaper these days, so I get what you mean, but I am referring to the price differential between a suite and a regular balcony cabin, which is a premium of around 50-60%. That equates to several thousand pounds extra for a 2 week cruise and for that level of extra spend I don't expect to have to issue a Butler with a list or explain to him what I have paid for and am entitled to - it should be offered automatically!

Sorry typo it should read 2001. Ie 16 years ago.

How did you achieve that? Do you cruise on the larger ships and are the suites cheaper on those.?:confused:

I book on the first day and some back to backs. I avoid summer. We cruise 3 to 5 times per year.

I always book the first day too and only once has it proved to be cheaper.

For the last 3 years it has for me. I keep careful check

Little example we are on a back to back in Sep/Oct and we have paid £4400 in total less than the current saver fare. And we have OBC which of course saver fares do not have.

Little example we are on a back to back in Sep/Oct and we have paid £4400 in total less than the current saver fare. And we have OBC which of course saver fares do not have.

Thanks I hadn't taken into account the length of cruises, the time of year or the itinerary. Of course it all makes a difference.

On our last cruise on Aurora we had our dinner table mates round for dinner one evening. Our butler brought the starters then came back about 20 minutes later with the main courses. Our meal was ordered from the room service menu not MDR menu, I don't know if that would make a difference. Maybe it depends on the butler?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it does depend on the Butler.

I also think that passengers who have been travelling with P&O for a long time and, therefore, have been using a Butler for a long time, may know what a Butler is SUPPOSED to provide, rather than what they now seem to try and get away with.

Unfortunately there are so few Butlers compared to what there used to be. One Butler in 2005 would only cover around 4 cabins ; now that is up to 10 or more. They do, therefore, try to get away with offering stuff to passengers that they KNOW they are supposed to offer, but don't.

You just have to know that they are there for YOU, and complain if they don't do what you have paid a substantial amount of money for.

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

When we have travelled in a suite on P&O we don't tend to use the butler as much service as we have on other lines simply because there are more perks for suite dwellers on them and the butler will arrange them for you eg priority ice show tickets on RCI, complimentary bar set up drinks and the mixers on Cunard, complimentary speciality dining on Celebrity etc

That said I do like the fact that when we have a butler on P&O meals are laid out properly for you rather than a room service tray with cling film over the orange juice just being dumped down. It's lovely, particulalry on the balcony on a good day.

I have also found this thread interesting as some of you obviously "know the ropes" and make much more use of a butler the we ever have so thanks for the information.

Some of benefits of a suite seem to be kept pretty quiet by many of the lines and unless you are in the know you could miss out. We had.no idea for example that the Cunard bar set up in QG suites is actaully 2 litres of spirits and all the mixers and that was on a 5 day cruise! Same for senior suites in good hotels, they don't always advertise the full range of perks for some reason.

We only book a suite if the price is right or if we have a specific reason to do so eg if there are tender ports so we get the priority tickets. The Butler is not the primary attraction but a nice add on.