Detailed review of Empress of the Seas inaugural Cuba cruise

I am going on the empress of the seas on royal Caribbean andwe have a full day in Cuba. A few quick questions,do you have to have an excursion booked to get off the boat? Once you are done with your excursion can youwalk around on your own or do they demand that you reboard the ship? Also where is thebest place to exchange currency?

We are booked over Thanksgiving and I have done a bit of research, mostly on these threads.

Yes, you can arrange a private tour. They are supposed to document your time and record your passport number, but this may be laxing.

Yes, you may walk around, I've read that exchanging money is easy, You need the tourist money, not local. And no credit cards are currently honored. Bring you own toilet paper. Right now, Cuba is not handicapped friendly. And no air-conditioning:loudcry::loudcry:

Maybe you said it but I can find it.

Did you use the sea pass/passport to get in Cuba or did they just scanned your sea pass at the ship. Also, how was the process when boarding the ship from Cuba to the ship

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am curious about the 42 steps. I have knee issues. Is there another option?

I've read that there is a slow elevator to avoid the steps, but once you get down the streets are uneven.

Maybe you said it but I can find it.

Did you use the sea pass/passport to get in Cuba or did they just scanned your sea pass at the ship. Also, how was the process when boarding the ship from Cuba to the ship

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will need your passport and your Cuban Visa

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your review! We are book on the 8/30 sailing. I made a copy of the "As You Arrive in Cuba" document you posted. It was very helpful.

I am a coin collector and generally try to get coins and currency from countries we visit. Is it OK for us to get Cuban Pesos to take home?

John

• 4 weeks later...

UKBBALLFAN thanks for your extensive reviews. My husband and I are taking the RCL Empress cruise to Key West and Cuba in a few weeks with my 16 y/o daughter and 19 y/o son, plus my mom. We have never cruised before. SO excited.

I've read everything I can about first time cruising, and as much as I can about Havana. We have a private tour set up.

I cannot access your pictures. Could you possibly send them in an email? I'm at Kylawx2@yahoo.com.

Also, if there is any additional advice you have for my family about cruising on the Empress, or anything can't miss or definitely skip in Havana, I would love to hear it. By the looks of your signature, you've been cruising for some time!

Thanks for any help you can offer! #BBN 💙

• 4 weeks later...

Cuba cruise pins available. I have a few left over from the Cuba inaugural cruises. Cost is $10 for the first one (USPS) and $5 for each additional. These are brass and hand enameled. You may contact me at the following email: pinman atsign cimorelli period com for where to obtain

cuba-pin-280height.jpg.0c47a303a7d1aa30880f0a5297858576.jpg

Details details details I love it lol although I'm not scheduled to cruise Empress Cuba is on my list and I thank you for providing such vivid details from your view. None of the photos were viewable but your review had helped me construct visuals that had me thinking I was there lol

I'm glad you all enjoyed your cruise and had a safe journey