Athens Hop on-hop off

GOLDENBONNY

One more question .What to do first and what can we skip? If we come out in Acropolis is it same site as Temple of Zeus ? Do we have to pay twice or same ticket? To go to Museum is it separate ticket? I can not fine we to answer my questions :rolleyes:

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

HOHO is an excellent way to get from cruise terminal to central Athens. Buses board right outside the cruise terminal Get off at Acropolis stop, and you can walk everywhere from there. Plaka, Syntagma Square (where changing of the guards happens), Temple of Zeus, museum, etc.....all within walking distance. Or you can get off at Plaka stop, and just walk from there too. Museum is an extra ticket.

There are three companies that have HOHO in Athens. A red one, blue one, and yellow one. All pretty much the same. All roughly $20 for a day's ticket. We used the red one. Very pleased.

Have fun!

Do we have to pay twice or same ticket? To go to Museum is it separate ticket? I can not fine we to answer my questions :rolleyes:

I believe the cost for the multi-site ticket is now 20 euro. It includes the Acropolis, Ancient Agora & its museum, Kerameikos (ancient cemetery) and its small museum, Archaeological Site of Lykeion, North slope of Acropolis, Olympieion (Temple of Zeus), Roman Agora & Hadrian's Library, and South Slope of Acropolis (including the Theater of Dionysus).

You can also buy an individual ticket for any single site for either 6 or 8 euro (I can't remember).

The Acropolis museum is separate and charges its own admission. Cost of a ticket is 5 euro.

I believe the cost for the multi-site ticket is now 20 euro. It includes the Acropolis, Ancient Agora & its museum, Kerameikos (ancient cemetery) and its small museum, Archaeological Site of Lykeion, North slope of Acropolis, Olympieion (Temple of Zeus), Roman Agora & Hadrian's Library, and South Slope of Acropolis (including the Theater of Dionysus).

You can also buy an individual ticket for any single site for either 6 or 8 euro (I can't remember).

The Acropolis museum is separate and charges its own admission. Cost of a ticket is 5 euro.

But all of those are separate from the HOHO ticket.

Are their tour guides we can hire at the sites? Hop on Hop off sounds great but not sure I want to take a tour without a guide to explain the history.:cool:

Are their tour guides we can hire at the sites? Hop on Hop off sounds great but not sure I want to take a tour without a guide to explain the history.:cool:

To the best of my knowledge, the only place where you could hire a guide would be at the Acropolis entrance (e.g., where you purchase tickets) -- there are often guides available there. I don't know if you could work out with them to accompany you to other sites.

Guidebooks can be very helpful. I thought the Rick Steves walking tour through the other main sites (e.g., the Agora, Theatre, etc.) was pretty good, with enough detail for most people. (I prefer more detail so I also copied pages from my favorite Oxford Archaeological Guide as needed: https://www.amazon.com/Greece-Oxford-Archaeological-Guide-Guides/dp/0192880586).

To the best of my knowledge, the only place where you could hire a guide would be at the Acropolis entrance (e.g., where you purchase tickets) -- there are often guides available there. I don't know if you could work out with them to accompany you to other sites.

Guidebooks can be very helpful. I thought the Rick Steves walking tour through the other main sites (e.g., the Agora, Theatre, etc.) was pretty good, with enough detail for most people. (I prefer more detail so I also copied pages from my favorite Oxford Archaeological Guide as needed: https://www.amazon.com/Greece-Oxford-Archaeological-Guide-Guides/dp/0192880586).

Great advice, I have ordered both books. Thank you!