Alaska Excursions Backup Plans

SJSMOM

Going late July/early August on Norwegian Pearl. Have whale watch in Juneau and Island Wings Ketchikan booked. I didn't even think to have a backup plan available until started reading some posts that made mention of it. But if you have excursions planned you really can't book a backup one - if cancelled for weather reasons would find out when get to port and then just have it wing it when get off ship, right? I guess that leaves sightseeing tours etc that you could get from the vendors at the ports?

Going late July/early August on Norwegian Pearl. Have whale watch in Juneau and Island Wings Ketchikan booked. I didn't even think to have a backup plan available until started reading some posts that made mention of it. But if you have excursions planned you really can't book a backup one - if cancelled for weather reasons would find out when get to port and then just have it wing it when get off ship, right? I guess that leaves sightseeing tours etc that you could get from the vendors at the ports?

Flying excursions are probably the only ones that might need a backup plan. There are a number of vendors for other excursions in Ketchikan if your flying gets cancelled.

Whale watching tours are not governed by the weather. If your are on a small whale watching boat you will feel the weather a lot more than on one of the larger Allen Marine boats.

At the least, have ideas what may be of interest to you. Have any phone numbers and tour operators known. IF that is a fill in choice for you.

With Glacier dog sledding, I also suggest- deciding now, IF offered, if you'd just take a regular glacier landing. IF it's offered as an alternative, you won't likely have a lot of time to decide.

When our helicopter tour (via HAL) was cancelled at Juneau due to low clouds and drizzle a Holland America agent was available to switch us to whale watching (large boat). If you are booking independently it might be worth a little extra planning to have a plan B then find a vendor for it at the dock.

It was September and raining when our ship docked in Ketchikan. I was very worried our morning flight with Island Wings would be cancelled. So when we got to the designated air departure dock, I mentioned my concerns to the owner/pilot of Island Wings. Her reply? "This is a northern rainforest. If I only flew in good weather, we would never get off the ground". PS We had a wonderful flight and got to see lots of bears.