Cuba Wishes

I was so excited to see Royal Caribbean is sailing to Cuba now!!! The only problem is the little old ship they've assigned as the only vessel to include that destination. It would be wonderful if they'd assign a port of call for Anthem or any of the newer, larger ships. Has anyone been to Cuba on Empress? What was the experience like?

I was so excited to see Royal Caribbean is sailing to Cuba now!!! The only problem is the little old ship they've assigned as the only vessel to include that destination. It would be wonderful if they'd assign a port of call for Anthem or any of the newer, larger ships. Has anyone been to Cuba on Empress? What was the experience like?

As said previously . The port for Havana can't handle of the bigger ships . The limit is the depth of the tunnel under the harbor.

There are many threads and reviews on this very topic.

We just booked yesterday.

The port or terminal can not handle the larger ships....Yet

We want to see it before it turns into a tourist trap.

Yes I thought it would be something about the port--I suppose with the number of passengers on the larger ships, tendering is not an option.

As said previously . The port for Havana can't handle of the bigger ships . The limit is the depth of the tunnel under the harbor.

I see. I'm pretty loyal to Royal Carribbean, but maybe I need to think about a luxury line that has a really nice small ship. I suppose it's lucky they still have the Sovereign class floating around for these kinds of ports!

Yes I thought it would be something about the port--I suppose with the number of passengers on the larger ships, tendering is not an option.

There aren't many places that can be used for tendering in Cuba.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see. I'm pretty loyal to Royal Carribbean, but maybe I need to think about a luxury line that has a really nice small ship. I suppose it's lucky they still have the Sovereign class floating around for these kinds of ports!

Check out the Azamara Quest to Cuba. They honor your Royal status.

The only problem is the little old ship they've assigned as the only vessel to include that destination.

TJEvans, I was "just" on the Empress last October, and will be sailing on her again this October out of Tampa. I am very excited about seeing Cuba! I found the Empress to be a lovely ship, and believe she was refurbished about a year or so ago. I personally prefer "little old ships" having cut my cruising teeth sailing on the Windjammer Barefoot Cruises ships. If you haven't sailed on her, give her a chance. Or, as you said, find another more upscale ship that fits your taste. But I hope your comment doesn't discourage other potential cruisers from trying Empress.

TJEvans, I was "just" on the Empress last October, and will be sailing on her again this October out of Tampa. I am very excited about seeing Cuba! I found the Empress to be a lovely ship, and believe she was refurbished about a year or so ago. I personally prefer "little old ships" having cut my cruising teeth sailing on the Windjammer Barefoot Cruises ships. If you haven't sailed on her, give her a chance. Or, as you said, find another more upscale ship that fits your taste. But I hope your comment doesn't discourage other potential cruisers from trying Empress.

I agree. Empress really is a great ship. You have to know what you booking. No she doesn't have the bells and whistles of the big girls but I have heard form many that the food is better compared to her fleet mates and the staff is amazing. And when it comes to Cuba, it's about the destination. People are spending less time on the ship and more time in the un touched nation. I can't wait to sail in her in September!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally looking forward to a trip on Empress. She's what ships are meant to be before they became floating hotels with rock climbing walls and jumbotrons over the pools! Sailed on her back in the late 80s I think it was. Always was my favorite ship with the prettiest most elegant dining room with the big glass floor to ceiling walls I've seen over the decades making sunset dinners spectacular.

Detailed review of Empress of the Seas inaugural Cuba cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2492611

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a MSC ship docked in Havana in the pictures of that review linked above. It doesn't look like the size of Anthem however maybe the size of a Vision Class ship. It has standard balcony cabins too which is a sticking point for me when it comes to sailing on Empress.