Driving Tampa to Miami - avoid 95?

tonto524

Somewhere I remember reading that there's a better way from 75 that would avoid 95 to Miami? If so, could someone enlighten me? We'll be driving down on the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend, so would like to stay away from the craziness at least a bit. Thanks very much!

75 crosses the turnpike extension in Mirimar, NE of Miami

you can take the extension south to 836 / Dolphin expressway and head east

note both of these are toll roads with electronic payment only. If you don't have a SUNPASS:

If in your own car you will get a bill from the state - no fine, but a bill with a small admin charge for the tolls ..

if in a rental .... well this varies widely by rental company https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

OR

75 'ends' at 826 which you can take south to the Dolphin .... IME 826 is at least as crazy as 95!

Edited by Capt_BJ

Capt_BJ, thanks for the quick reply. We will have our own car and I might just buy a Sunpass transponder anyway as we can use it in our area and also crossing on 75. Got any helpful advice about an "easy" way to get to the Hampton Inn and Suites in Brickell or that area (still can't decide if we want that or the Intercontinental) from 836?? Again, many thanks.

Capt_BJ, thanks for the quick reply. We will have our own car and I might just buy a Sunpass transponder anyway as we can use it in our area and also crossing on 75. Got any helpful advice about an "easy" way to get to the Hampton Inn and Suites in Brickell or that area (still can't decide if we want that or the Intercontinental) from 836?? Again, many thanks.

From the 836 east, you can exit at Biscayne Blvd (US1) then head south (approx 1 mile) to the Intercontinental, or another few miles to the Hampton. Biscayne Blvd turns into Brickell Ave once you get into the financial district.

whichever route you choose ... avoid rush hours at all costs

826, the Dolphin, turnpike extension in the Doral area, downtown in the Biscayne area

ALL CRAZY during rush hours. I'd arrive mid day ... between 1 and 2 .. or after 7 ... maybe more like 8 to try and stay out of traffic .....

real good site for Florida traffic info ... just move the map around to see Miami

http://www.mynews13.com//content/news/cfnews13/traffic.html

I don't see a reason to avoid 95, and then you will need to take the 826 and 836 which are a mess as well. Plug the address in google maps on your phone and take the way it tells you to, it will give you the best way.

Avoiding I-95 just puts you on other highways too, which IMO are just as bad if not worse. The only benefit is the drive down I-75 is not as bad a 595, but it all depends what time of time you will be in the Miami area.

I don't see a reason to avoid 95, and then you will need to take the 826 and 836 which are a mess as well. Plug the address in google maps on your phone and take the way it tells you to, it will give you the best way.

Avoiding I-95 just puts you on other highways too, which IMO are just as bad if not worse. The only benefit is the drive down I-75 is not as bad a 595, but it all depends what time of time you will be in the Miami area.

110% agree

I was going with your question in my replies

but as a long time resident of Miami ...... 95 ain't any worse then our other highways!

If you get into area at midday highways are driveable. You want to be off roads by 3. Also, if your GPS says to take the Gratigny Parkway State Rd 924. . . I'd probably not go that way. It does not connect to 95 but instead ends and becomes a surface street before you get to 95. Better to stay on highways.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry - but another question. The directions I have to the Hampton Inn and Suites in Brickell all say to exit 95 at 1B and turn onto SW8th. BUT, the maps look like there is no southbound exit 1B, just northbound. Am I missing something major here? Or am I possibly making too much of this? I just don't want to start our vacation with "driving hatred" if you get my drift lol. Thanks so much in advance.

Sorry - but another question. The directions I have to the Hampton Inn and Suites in Brickell all say to exit 95 at 1B and turn onto SW8th. BUT, the maps look like there is no southbound exit 1B, just northbound. Am I missing something major here? Or am I possibly making too much of this? I just don't want to start our vacation with "driving hatred" if you get my drift lol. Thanks so much in advance.

There is one. Its here: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7756411,-80.199937,3a,47.8y,166.42h,91.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srGekDiw4EbaHrLukyMdiQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is actually the opposite, you can't exit to 8th St. from NB I-95. As Flymia's photo shows you can exit to 8th St. from SB I-95. Go past the light at 7th. The next light is 8th. You can only turn left on 8th its one way. Enjoy your trip.

I live right here and make the drive constantly from Naples to Brickell since we had our home over there as well. I am very close to the Hampton Inn.

I hate the 836, every single time I take it not during rush hour, I am always in traffic.

I take Alligator Alley (75) over. 595 East to Florida's turnpike south and then onto 95 for a short amount of time. (I also quickly move over to the Express lane on 95 after getting on). Then exit 2C off of 95.

It take me 1 hour 50 minutes from the Pine Ridge Road exit of Naples to here door to door.

Edited by cjskids

You can also take exit 2C and make a right onto Brickell Ave/US 1. Take Brickell to 13th Coral Way and make a right onto 13th. (You will see Mortan's Steakhouse on the corner) then a quick right at the next traffic light onto South Miami Ave and a quick left onto SW 12th. The parking garage entrance will be right there on your left hand side right after Batch GastroPub.

Alternatively, exit 2c and make a right onto Brickell Ave. Take Brickell to 10th and make a right. (Ocean bank will be on the corner.) At the stop sign which is Brickell Plaza, (you will see the escalator to the 10th street metro mover on you left), make a left. Take Brickell plaza the short way to the end. At the stop sign, straight and this is SW 12th. Again, the parking garage entrance will be there on your left hand side.

A question for the Miami locals...

What about taking US 27 S. from Andytown to SR 997 S. to US 41 at Miccosukee Resort to 836?

I was on 997 (all new highway) and 27 last week and it was a nice, peaceful trip to get around Miami and traffic coming back from Key West (I didn't want to take the Turnpike). I just don't know what 41 and 836 are like from Miccosukee.

Somewhere I remember reading that there's a better way from 75 that would avoid 95 to Miami? If so, could someone enlighten me? We'll be driving down on the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend, so would like to stay away from the craziness at least a bit. Thanks very much!

I always try and leave Naples no later than 2:00 so I can miss the traffic coming back here to Brickell. If you leave earlier, you will have a much easier time.

The 595 Express lanes will be open heading east until 1 pm. If you don't mind paying the small toll it makes it very easy to get onto the Turnpike heading south as it dumps you right on.

I'll be doing the drive again on Tuesday myself, but from Brickell to Naples.

A question for the Miami locals...

What about taking US 27 S. from Andytown to SR 997 S. to US 41 at Miccosukee Resort to 836?

I was on 997 (all new highway) and 27 last week and it was a nice, peaceful trip to get around Miami and traffic coming back from Key West (I didn't want to take the Turnpike). I just don't know what 41 and 836 are like from Miccosukee.

OK...

How about any of your Miccosukee Everglades locals?

997 from 27 to the resort was a brand new divided highway running through the Everglades with no stoplights or traffic. It was a really nice way to completely avoid Miami. It looks like a straight shot east on 41 and/or 836 from there.

I always try and leave Naples no later than 2:00 so I can miss the traffic coming back here to Brickell. If you leave earlier, you will have a much easier time.

The 595 Express lanes will be open heading east until 1 pm. If you don't mind paying the small toll it makes it very easy to get onto the Turnpike heading south as it dumps you right on.

I'll be doing the drive again on Tuesday myself, but from Brickell to Naples.

Our plan is to leave the Clearwater area around 9am or so. With some luck, this rain and wind will pass so the Sunshine Skyway will be open which will help time-wise. We will. Take your suggestions and thanks !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the help, everyone. Not the most pleasant drive and I wished at one point that we were sailing out of Port Everglades rather than Miami lol, but we made it. Great info !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you even read my post informing you of the new highway in which you can avoid Ft Lauderdale and most of Miami?

Did you even read my post informing you of the new highway in which you can avoid Ft Lauderdale and most of Miami?

From what I looked up, 997 is not a new road. However it may be a good way to not be on 95.