My Suggestion to HAL for the Lido Buffet Regarding Food Allergies

What if the ship provided a menu list for the Lido items to your stateroom the way they do menus for the Main Dining Room, with the caveat that menu items/ingredients can change without notice.

Obviously they have a menu planned, if only for proper supply ordering, there would not be too much issue doing a daily list for the stateroom...

BINGO! I was just going to suggest this. OR how about a downloadable menu/dish/ingredient list of items that are (or may be) served? Could be downloaded as part of the check-in documents (or something) -- I haven't even been on a cruise yet, but it would seem like this could be done fairly easily. (Booked on my first cruise this September).

I have a couple of food sensitivities (not life threatening, but distinctly unpleasant results). I kind of know what to look for and carry meds to counteract, but having a list would help to avoid things that *might* cause problems.

It wasn't here. There was a big to-do a few weeks ago about comments by Orlando on The Apprentice. He was the one who said he thought the "vibe" of HAL was Midwestern - meat & potatoes kind of people. He said something different about Princess. Some were offended that he thought of them as bland and boring...

Whoa. Thanks so much for explaining. I never watch Apprentice so ha d no idea. what a ridiiculous and incorrect thing for him to say. Not the least impressive, IMO>. Sure explains some of his 'decisions. :rolleyes: Why did he think it a good idea to go on Apprentice at all? :evilsmile::confused: I also missed the 'big to do here and am sorry I didn't see it. I imagine there have to be others beside me who would like to read it. Would be great if someone could direct us to here we should look to find it. Again, thank you for explaining.

BINGO! I was just going to suggest this. OR how about a downloadable menu/dish/ingredient list of items that are (or may be) served? Could be downloaded as part of the check-in documents (or something) -- I haven't even been on a cruise yet, but it would seem like this could be done fairly easily. (Booked on my first cruise this September).

I have a couple of food sensitivities (not life threatening, but distinctly unpleasant results). I kind of know what to look for and carry meds to counteract, but having a list would help to avoid things that *might* cause problems.

A written list........... Liability exposure. !

If cruise lines purchased all their food ingredients at the Safeway in Seattle, Washington, they might be able to list all the ingredients in the food in their buffets.

But instead, they purchase foods and spices from all over the world.

In many countries, complete ingredients lists are not required on food and spices packaging.

Since cruise ships purchase in bulk, the large bulk packages rarely have any ingredients lists at all.

Even if there is a label, often a cruise ship chef has little idea what might have been added to a package that has only Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or Sanskrit on the label. Even if he can read it, he still does not know what else has been added and not listed.

The idea of listing all ingredients in cruise ship buffet dishes is a good one - but logistically and practically impossible.

We have cruise twice (Europe and Alaska) with our young grandson who has severe food allergies. Both cruises were on NCL and we were very pleased with how everything was handled.

Before we left we filled out forms describing his allergies and this was sent on to the ship. After we boarded we talked to the head person in the Lido and were assigned a special server.

His choices were limited because of buying much of their food in Europe and when I asked about hamburger meat they said no - can't quarantee what's in it. So his choices were chicken and steak. His meals were simple and repetitious but he was fine with it.

How they worked it, the day before he would tell his server what he wanted the next day and then we would call about 45 minutes before we were ready to eat and tell them where we would be. His meals were brought to the table.

We bought some food before we boarded and had that to make him a lunch when we were out for the day. It took the worry out of trying to explain to a restaurant (in Europe) about cross contamination, the allergy , etc.

I realize this is my experience on NCL but I thought I would share how it was handled for us. It's been so easy, we've booked another cruise to the Baltic for everyone.

We have cruise twice (Europe and Alaska) with our young grandson who has severe food allergies. Both cruises were on NCL and we were very pleased with how everything was handled.

Before we left we filled out forms describing his allergies and this was sent on to the ship. After we boarded we talked to the head person in the Lido and were assigned a special server.

His choices were limited because of buying much of their food in Europe and when I asked about hamburger meat they said no - can't quarantee what's in it. So his choices were chicken and steak. His meals were simple and repetitious but he was fine with it.

How they worked it' date=' the day before he would tell his server what he wanted the next day and then we would call about 45 minutes before we were ready to eat and tell them where we would be. His meals were brought to the table.

We bought some food before we boarded and had that to make him a lunch when we were out for the day. It took the worry out of trying to explain to a restaurant (in Europe) about cross contamination, the allergy , etc.

I realize this is my experience on NCL but I thought I would share how it was handled for us. It's been so easy, we've booked another cruise to the Baltic for everyone.[/quote']

d f they had steak that was safe for your granson to eat, why did they not simply grind it to make hambuger? :confused: if the steak was safe for him, that ground steak would be, too. Did you request they do that?

Whoa. Thanks so much for explaining. I never watch Apprentice so ha d no idea. what a ridiiculous and incorrect thing for him to say. Not the least impressive, IMO>. Sure explains some of his 'decisions. :rolleyes: Why did he think it a good idea to go on Apprentice at all? :evilsmile::confused: I also missed the 'big to do here and am sorry I didn't see it. I imagine there have to be others beside me who would like to read it. Would be great if someone could direct us to here we should look to find it. Again, thank you for explaining.

Hey, I don't watch it, either. I just read some thread on here about it. Do a search here and you might find it.

They could make up a laminated sheet with the list of foods and post them before entering the buffet. That way no waiting in lines and know what the dish contains. You could always take a picture of it and move on so you dont hold up the line for people who want or need to read it.