I wanted to do the 2007 Grand World Voyage, but...

Old As Dirt Mom

...I've settled for a one-week Alaska cruise on the Zaandam next August! It's much more affordable :) This will be my family's first cruise, and my first since I travelled as a baby on Statendam with my parents from New York to Rotterdam in 1960. My mother is coming along, which qualifies us for Mariner rates, and we'll be celebrating three birthdays ( mom's, DD's 17th, and DD's 8th) My husband, the reluctant traveller, will actually TAKE TIME OFF FROM WORK AND COME WITH US!!!! I've been lurking for ages at this wonderful CC website, and I'm starting to learn all the lingo:) I'm so excited I can't contain myself! Should I go to the Roll Call board, and start a roll call? Or is it too early?

Can I now sign myself officially as a real cruiser?

Middle-Aged Mom

Zaandam to Alaska August 2006

How very exciting for your whole family. The anticipation and planning will make the wait go faster!!

Welcome to HAL.....A warning though --- after your first cruise, you probably will want more, more, more!!!

Congratulations on booking your cruise. Alaska is a great destination; I'm going back next summer, too.

I would check the Roll-Call board to see if one has been started, but, if not, frankly, I think it's too early. It will be hard to keep checking for so long. What you could do instead is add yoour name to Ziggy7"s list. When you see that someone else is taking the same cruise you could start the roll-call then.

OK, I've calmed down a little, I can communicate in smaller font:) Thanks for your good wishes, everyone. Ruth C, thanks for your suggestion to get on Ziggy's list. Now, please forgive my ignorance, and explain how I do that.

Middle-Aged Mom

Zaandam to Alaska August 2006

suggestion to get on Ziggy's list. Now, please, and explain how I do that.

Check the first page or two of this forum; you'll find a thread started by Ziggy7 that is titled something to the effect "list of CC cruisers". (You'll know it when you see it.) Last time I checked it was several pages long.

Go to the last page, scroll up to her list and check if there's anyone from your cruise listed. Then add a reply that asks her to add your name to the list. She will want your board name, ship, date of sailing.

Ziggy will very kindly take care of the rest.

Can I now sign myself officially as a real cruiser?

Absolutely!

And ... no, it's never too early for a rollcall. :)

And, don't feel too bad about not being able to do the 2007 World Cruise. I think just about everyone on this board would love to do it ... but most of us can't afford it. :) Hey, many of us around here are still "working stiffs" that can only look forward to retirement ... and the chance to cruise however long we want. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

middle aged mum,

Welcome to the Board and your first cruise for a long time. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

We are doing a cruise in September next year and we have already started our Roll Call. It may be slow to begin with but once the new year comes it will start to move.

Jennie

...for your kind words and encouragement. We haven't even gone on our first cruise yet, and I'm already hooked! I hope our trip to Alaska next summer will be only one of many HAL cruises in the future. I'm going to start haunting the Alaska board for more information.

Aussie-Gal, I would love to travel to Australia. My mother's sister lives in Adelaide, and I have cousins there and in Sydney.

middle-aged mom,

It is not too far to travel to see all your relations here in Oz. We travel each year to Europe or the U.S.A. We just have to grin and bear the time in the plane and before long we have arrived.

You would have a wonderful time here especially with cousins in Sydney and with your aunt who lives in a lovely city - Adelaide - it is much smaller than Melbourne and Sydney and a lot quieter. Melbourne is halfway between Adelaide and Sydney and more European, whereas Sydney is such a lot of fun. Don't leave it too late to visit us.

Jennie

Archived