Activities on the South Pacific Islands

In Noumea I have done the tchou tchou train which was good. Good way to get a feel of the port on your first visit. I also did the zodiac ride to duck island but it is an expensive way to do that island. If I went again I would get water taxi there. I have seen a lot of people recommend the hop on hop off bus which is probably a good way to go, it would take you to Lemon Bay and Ante Vista beaches. On Lifou there is fantastic snorkelling at Jinek Bay. You need to buy the pass on the ship but it is well worth it if you like snorkelling. I would do that again in a heart beat. You can also swim on the beach where the tenders set you ashore. I have seen turtles there which is a bit lovely. I have only been to Port Vila once and we took a risk and hired one of the taxi drivers touting for business at the port. You cant miss them, they are very persistent. If you take this option just keep walking along the market stalls, they will keep dropping the price. Ours drove us around to all the attractions for a look and then to the duty free shop where he waited for us and then took us back to the ship.

Hey guys! Wondering if i could get some of your recommendations for the activities on some of the islands like Noumea, Vanuatu and Lifou? :)

Hi , which cruise are you doing ?? I m trying to get some people to do the Tanna Volcano Tour from Port Vila . It's a private tour looks awesome . Check out the website through Unity Airlines Tanna Yasu Volcano Tour . I'm wanting to book for 27 June but need enough people also booked for them to go ahead with the tour on that day . :)

• 3 weeks later...

We booked the country tour through http://www.lyvai.com/en/ - they do the train as well. You can buy directly online and save loads compared to through the ship. In Noumea you get bused to the cruise ship terminal (as you dock at a working commercial port) and lyvai have a large presence here. No issues with them as a provider - they do most of the ship tours.

Noumea, this last cruise we did a tour with Noumea Gateway Tours. It involved a tour of Noumea, ferry tide to Escape Island, a lovely buffet lunch, after which we snorkelled off the beach and saw heaps of Turtles and swan with them. Then a ferry ride back to the ship shuttle stop. All in all a great day.

The first visit we took the HOHO bus to Lemon Beach and then took the boat over to a Duck Island where we spent a couple of hours before heading back.

Hope that helps you some ideas.

I don't know if 'robbo16' will be on the seven-night cruise on Pacific Dawn from Brisbane or on a cruise from Sydney. On the Pacific Dawn, the ship arrives in Noumea around 3pm so there is only time to do one tour. Robbo16 also didn't mention the time of year. Keep in mind that if your cruise is in winter, it will get dark early - around 5.30.

Lifou - snorkelling either close to the jetty where the tender comes in or walk to the other side of the peninsula to Jinek Bay. Here you have to pay $15pp (usually paid on board the ship to restrict numbers). The coral is exellent in Jinek Bay.

Vanuatu - get a taxi and go to the Cascades. You have to pay entry.