Hotel review: Courtyard by Marriott, Isla Verde and Holiday Inn Express

georgiacat

We stayed 2 days prior to our cruise out of San Juan at the Courtyard by Marriott, Isla Verde. It was a beautiful hotel, directly on the beach, which is what we wanted. It had resort prices and a resort fee added to that, but I was aware of the price when booking. Our room was lovely with a view of the beach. The beach and pool were wonderful. The ocean did have some seaweed (which I imagine varies at the time of the year). Our room was ready when we arrived about 1 pm.

The food was disappointing and very high priced. We first tried the veranda cafe when we got there. It took more than an hour and half to receive our order, even though they said they were serving lunch. We also ate there the last night. Again very pricey and extremely slow. We are breakfast at the buffet inside, about $20 per person, plus tip. The food was nothing special. Also we ate the first dinner inside at the buffet, about $25 per person plus tip. The best part was the complimentary rum punch. The food was lacking in selection and taste.

We did not see any places to eat outside of the hotel restaurants when traveling by taxi. You would have to walk more than a mile and know what direction to take. So we cancelled our reservation post cruise for this hotel.

After the cruise we stayed 1 night at the Holiday Inn Express. It was a pleasant surprise. We arrived about 9 am from the ship. Yes, we got off early. The room was not ready yet, of course. We kept our luggage by our sides, even though the staff offered to store it and did for several people who came closely after us. We got our room about 10 am after reading in the lobby. We walked to Subway for lunch (about 1/2 mile on the main street to the left). We walked to supper at PJ's Pizzeria, about 1/4 mile, left on main street. PJ's was great. A lot of good food for not much money (burger for me, calzone for hubby). There are other food choices close by, including a Ben & Jerry's ice cream close to the beach. The beach is close by, within walking distance and looked inviting. We did use the pool. It was nice. Breakfast was complementary and a lot like what we paid for at the resort.

Comparing both hotels, I would use Holiday Inn Express next time. Both were clean, quiet and good. Prices at Holiday Inn Express were better.

Glad to read a good review of the HI Express. We are booked there for one night pre-cruise in November because we have IHG points we need to use. I also looked at the Courtyard Marriott, but wanted to have options for restaurants and a drug/grocery store within easy walking distance.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a few years back and enjoyed our pre-cruise stay. Staff were very helpful with information regarding sights to see and places to eat. Plan on staying there again next year. Great location.