Senior Traveling With Son

JayneF

I am 70, not a new cruiser, but have never cruised overseas or with a younger person, so here are my two questions:

How can we get from the Rome airport to Civitavecchia port if I am coming in at 8 in the morning and ship leaves in evening. My son wants to do a car tour of Rome first and I have read that you cannot take luggage from a taxi to the ship or from the train station to the ship because it is a long 1-mile hike and the wheels of my 28" luggage will get stuck in cobblestone. Secondly are there any recommendations for getting the best adventure for both of our ages in our port intensive 7 day cruise of the Mediterranean (Almalfi, France, Monte Carlo, Spain).

I have used Monetti Taxi for private touring along the Amalfi Coast. Wonderful experience. You can tailor your day to see what interests you. We were based in Sorento. Did Vesuvius (quite a challenge to hike up), Pompeii and Nero's wife's palace one day and the Amalfi coast the 2nd day. I highly recommend them. It is a family operation with impeccable vehicles. We had "the old man", but he has several sons. Wonderful two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will just add that we had 3 generations on our trip (80's, 50's, and teens) and we all loved the Monetti's. they are featured on some of Rick Steves' travel programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh dear. First, I hope you are not flying from the US to Rome that day, but flying from somewhere intra-Europe. That is an awful chance to take, to me. Second, go over to the Italy Ports of Call forum here on CC. Lots of people who recommend the private car services. Be aware that the most you will be able to is just do drive-by of a few sites (you really won't have time to stop) before you must head to the port. With the best of traffic, it is about a 40 minute drive from FCO into the Centro Storico of Rome and then 90 minute drive from the Centro Storico of Rome out to the Port at Civi.