Yacht Club Q's

jandj1224

New to MSC and trying to understand the different classes and benefits of various cabins specifically in regards to a Seaside sailing. Have experience in suites on NCL Haven and Royal. A few questions....

For YC, I understand includes all drinks. What about dining? Does it include any specialty dining (Sushi, steakhouse etc.) or is it limited to private restaurant? Is pricing for specialty dining available anywhere?

Has anyone sailed YC and been with people in non YC suites? Wondering if it will be worth it still? Do they extend any privileges to people you are sailing with in non YC rooms?

The Aurea experience includes unlimited drinks and a massage. When booking YC you lose massage perk correct? and free My Choice Dining just means flexible dining time in main dining room?

What is situation with grand suites? Present as 2br on floors plans. Are cabins on either side of ship not actually 2brs? Do all of these cabins include balconies?

On a side note wish they would include 2br's in YC...

Also anyone have experience sailing with kids? Did they enjoy?

YC does not include specialty dining, only the private restaurant (which is wonderful, we didn't miss specialty dining). No break on the specialty dining pricing.

There are no privileges for non YC friends/family. It would be awkward I think to sail with a party or family split up between.

Kids have a blast.

YC is so worth it (but see above, not worth splitting family ...)

YC does not include specialty dining, only the private restaurant (which is wonderful, we didn't miss specialty dining). No break on the specialty dining pricing.

There are no privileges for non YC friends/family. It would be awkward I think to sail with a party or family split up between.

Kids have a blast.

YC is so worth it (but see above, not worth splitting family ...)

Just to add to what Trina has already said, we had the opportunity to go to a specialty restaurant and chose not to. The Maitre D of Le Muse said that what we get in their is the same if not better, so we chose to eat there only. It was wonderful food and so fresh. There really isn't any need to go to a specialty restaurant unless you are looking for something specific that Le Muse can't get for you. If you asked I bet they would bring you whatever you wanted.

Agree with not splitting the family up. Only YC members have access to YC, similarly to the Haven.

We found it a step above the Haven in quality and service. We didn't think that was possible either, but it was. Can't wait to go back.

We too are former NCL Suite/Haven cruisers, looking forward to Davina in a few months and Seaside next year.

My questions....How are the Butlers assigned. Are they dedicated to a "set of suites" like NCL?

Or are they "free range" helping out where ever needed.

We are currently trying to figure out how much cash we need to bring for tipping. Thus the next questions.

Are there table servers in the Topsail or the One Pool?

No one mentions room stewards. There are Stewards...Right?

I'm assuming that there are. What is the scope of the Stewards room duties? What is the Butler responsible for within the individual Suites?

Le Muse. I've read here that we will probably have the same table and staff for dinner each evening. What about Breakfast and Lunch? Does the staff rotate through those meals? (Tipping question still) Or does the staff remain the same through all meals?

I'm sure I will have more questions. These will do for a start. TIA

Mark

We too are former NCL Suite/Haven cruisers, looking forward to Davina in a few months and Seaside next year.

My questions....How are the Butlers assigned. Are they dedicated to a "set of suites" like NCL? You will have one Butler assigned to you but other Butlers pitch in to help as well. They are also assigned other duties throughout the YC so you may see them at the One Pool/Bar or in the Top Sail Lounge.

Or are they "free range" helping out where ever needed.

We are currently trying to figure out how much cash we need to bring for tipping. Thus the next questions.

Are there table servers in the Topsail or the One Pool? Only a few servers in each area. Tipping isn't encouraged on MSC like it is on NCL. They are all compensated by the DSC. In fact, our Butler tried to refuse our tip. We told him it was for his family so he eventually took it but it was a battle. We tipped our server in Le Muse and a few others at the end of the trip but nothing like we did on NCL. Because it is a European ship, tips are included in Europe as a part of the included fees and the website actually discourages tipping. We did not tip the Maitre D as we felt that would be an insult at his level. I know as American's there is an expectation to constantly tip, I did not feel that way on MSC at all which was a refreshing change. Of course tipping is a personal choice so do what you feel is best.

No one mentions room stewards. There are Stewards...Right? Yes

I'm assuming that there are. What is the scope of the Stewards room duties? What is the Butler responsible for within the individual Suites? The same as on NCL. We however saw our Butler do more for the room than the Steward.

Le Muse. I've read here that we will probably have the same table and staff for dinner each evening. What about Breakfast and Lunch? Does the staff rotate through those meals? (Tipping question still) Or does the staff remain the same through all meals? The staff remains the same for the most part. You will have the same table and servers for lunch and dinner. We only went to Breakfast once (room service Latte's and Chocolate Croissants took precedence!) so aren't sure if the servers are the same for Breakfast.

I'm sure I will have more questions. These will do for a start. TIA

Mark

See responses to your questions in black.