Epic or Escape? GSC or Nassau? Orlando or Miami?

Shayhooper

Currently I have booked a studio on Epic for the 2nd week on January. Since I have to postpone our family Bermuda cruise for a year, I have a few extra dollars to spend on my solo cruise. While on the trip I am looking forward to sleep, lounging in the sun / shade, dips in sedate quiet waters, and snorkeling while in port.

Currently my booked Epic studio is $899 including the UBP service charge booked when tax free included all bookings. I've sailed on Epic before, not in a studio, and loved the ship. Especially enjoyed the Spice H20 deck and loved the small pool there where I can see myself spending a great deal of time. I love being able to dip in the water in more of a sedate adult setting. Ports of call are St Thomas, Tortola, and GSC.

BUT, the Bermuda trip that is being canceled was on the Escape and many reviews including TheDougOut's has me really excited to experience the ship. A new experience combined with the open deck experience that I LOVED on Getaway earlier this sound really appealing. Cost would be $1,386 with taxes and promo service charge included, almost $500 more than the Epic. Ports of call are St Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau.

So - Epic or Escape? GSC or Nassau? Orlando or Miami?

I did a week on the Epic, followed by a week on the Escape, earlier this year - same itineraries and both times in a studio room, so in my opinion....

Miami > Orlando - the whole process was easier at Miami. We queued for over an hour just to get into the building at PC - and then the same to get out at the end of the cruise. Miami, I walked straight in and straight on to the ship (granted I just boarded with the first group they called, rather than waiting for the number I'd been told - naughty naughty - but no one stopped or questioned me, perhaps due to being solo). Same for disembarking, straight through the terminal and into an Uber in a matter of minutes.

GSC > Nassau - I am an experienced solo traveller and love nothing more than wandering aimlessly round new places, however, I spent a grand total of 30 minutes off the ship in Nassau - I am sure there are lovely places elsewhere on the island but the area around the port: absolute dump. For me, GSC was like a ship day but on the beach, winner.

The toughie is which ship....

Solo activities - Escape > Epic

The coordinator was fab on the Escape and had the whole week planned out with both daytime and evening activities. We had nothing on the Epic - not even a NYE dinner! BUT > if you want to eat with the solo group on the Escape, be prepared to dine at 5:30pm (unless they have finally listened to feedback and made this later). Also - the lounge on the Epic is IMO better, with the inclusion of the bar which is open during the solo meet ups.

Bars - Escape > Epic

No competition here, the Escape wins by a mile. I loved all the different bars, particularly the Wine one which did some phenomenal wine cocktails - perfect for supping on the boardwalk at sunset. And the pineapple coconut drink at the mojito bar - deviiiiiiiine.

Service - Escape > Epic

Doing two weeks back to back, the general level of service and entertainment was much better on the Escape. The entertainment on the Epic was dire (seemed to be a lot of new staff in training).

Pools - Epic > Escape

Having the pool at Spice H20 (even though its tiny) on the Epic wins it for me, along with those comfy loungers at the front of deck 18. Plus be warned if you're planning on doing the drop slide on the Escape, you have to take off every single piece of jewellery - don't know if I had a particularly strict guy on the day, but he wouldn't let me on it without taking out cartilage piercings.

Overall, I think I would lean to Escape > Epic (even though I love love love the Epic and will be on her again in Nov).

Would I pay $500 more for the Escape over the Epic though? ........... No.

Hope this helps!!

I was having this same conundrum. We live in Orlando so obviously port canaveral is closer. Based on research, I feel like the Escape is newer, bigger, has cool features. HOWEVER, we really do not like Nassau. I have been there many times and literally the only thing to do is go to Atlantis. So if you want to go to Atlantis/do something else in Nassau do the escape. We are specifically not going on the Escape because we don't like Nassau.

I did a week on the Epic, followed by a week on the Escape, earlier this year - same itineraries and both times in a studio room, so in my opinion....

Miami > Orlando - the whole process was easier at Miami. We queued for over an hour just to get into the building at PC - and then the same to get out at the end of the cruise. Miami, I walked straight in and straight on to the ship (granted I just boarded with the first group they called, rather than waiting for the number I'd been told - naughty naughty - but no one stopped or questioned me, perhaps due to being solo). Same for disembarking, straight through the terminal and into an Uber in a matter of minutes.

GSC > Nassau - I am an experienced solo traveller and love nothing more than wandering aimlessly round new places, however, I spent a grand total of 30 minutes off the ship in Nassau - I am sure there are lovely places elsewhere on the island but the area around the port: absolute dump. For me, GSC was like a ship day but on the beach, winner.

The toughie is which ship....

Solo activities - Escape > Epic

The coordinator was fab on the Escape and had the whole week planned out with both daytime and evening activities. We had nothing on the Epic - not even a NYE dinner! BUT > if you want to eat with the solo group on the Escape, be prepared to dine at 5:30pm (unless they have finally listened to feedback and made this later). Also - the lounge on the Epic is IMO better, with the inclusion of the bar which is open during the solo meet ups.

Bars - Escape > Epic

No competition here, the Escape wins by a mile. I loved all the different bars, particularly the Wine one which did some phenomenal wine cocktails - perfect for supping on the boardwalk at sunset. And the pineapple coconut drink at the mojito bar - deviiiiiiiine.

Service - Escape > Epic

Doing two weeks back to back, the general level of service and entertainment was much better on the Escape. The entertainment on the Epic was dire (seemed to be a lot of new staff in training).

Pools - Epic > Escape

Having the pool at Spice H20 (even though its tiny) on the Epic wins it for me, along with those comfy loungers at the front of deck 18. Plus be warned if you're planning on doing the drop slide on the Escape, you have to take off every single piece of jewellery - don't know if I had a particularly strict guy on the day, but he wouldn't let me on it without taking out cartilage piercings.

Overall, I think I would lean to Escape > Epic (even though I love love love the Epic and will be on her again in Nov).

Would I pay $500 more for the Escape over the Epic though? ........... No.

Hope this helps!!

I was on Epic in January, Escape last last month. Definitely agree with all these points!

I also prefer Miami over Orlando because of the distance between the airport and port.

Spice H20 on Escape has a water grotto feature instead of a pool; nice to cool off but definitely not the same.

Escape's main pool area seemed much more congested than Epic's; same with the buffet.

I'm a smoker and prefer the smoking locations on Epic over Escape.

Both are great ships though, can't go wrong either way!

We debated between these two ships for our 2018 cruise (we have been on both) and choose the Escape, even though we aren't a fan of the itinerary.

One of our main reasons is that we didn't enjoy the thought of flying into Orlando. Let's be honest -- there are a ton of kids on flights to Orlando and with as full as planes are today, we thought we'd try to avoid that.

The other reasons we preferred the Escape are the wine bar, District Brewhouse and the water front area. There were parts of the Epic that we loved, but we chose to do a second trip on the Escape rather than a third on the Epic.

Thank you all! These responses were exactly what I was needing. As much as I would love to do Escape, I feel like Epic is going to be my choice. Perhaps I'll use the savings to get a cabana on GSC.

Tough call- I went on the Epic 5 years ago and loved it- and would prefer skipping Nassau as well- I'll probably avoid any route with if if possible. Depending on where you are going from, it seems easier flying to Miami vs. flying to Orlando an hour away from the port. Depending on how you are traveling, Orlando to the ship could be a higher cost than Miami to the ship.

The Escape has more outside areas and is not as enclosed as the Epic- disclaimer I have been on the Breakaway and not the Escape so am going by reviews.

Although I wanted to go on a cruise this year- I skipped it and booked the Escape for Bermuda and then for Canada next year as I am from the NE and won't have to fly.