Long time Celebrity cruisers want to go back to HAL..here's why.

We are long time Celebrity cruisers, going on the Kdam in 4 weeks...first time on HAL. Celebrity used to be so quiet....now I think they are trying to appeal to a younger market. Not good. When we sail on the S class ships, we enjoy the music in the Ensemble Lounge...usually a duo or small jazz group or something similar. Easy to listen to and still talk.
We were just on Celebrity Silhouette (S class ship) and one night they had a rock band playing in the Grand Foyer on deck 3, which is next to glass elevators and an atrium that is open all the way to the top of the ship. I was sitting in the library area on deck 10 that night and could hear the band perfectly! I'm guessing that anyone who was sitting in the library hoping for a quiet space wasn't thrilled, but I was fine with it!

As for Celebrity trying to appeal to a younger market, you can't really blame them. I was going to say that other than HAL, it's tough to make money appealing to the older cruise market, but obviously they're changing as well based on complaints here.

We are Elite + on Celebrity and agree with previous posters regarding music volume. On the last couple of Celebrity cruises, we unsuccessfully sought a place to have a drink where we could have a conversation without shouting over blaring music. If itineraries and prices are similar, we'll take HAL over Celebrity.

People who like an atmosphere in which one talks loudly over music tend to spend a lot on drinks. People in those venues who don't want to shout, but stay there anyway, tend to buy a lot of drinks too. I can't say that I've seen this tactic yet on my nine cruises, but I do wonder if it might be in use now. Volume=drinking=revenue.