My experience with new upgrade bidding system-status and bid don't matter

I believe that the system in use is not completely automated.

But what I do think is automated is the slide bar on your bid I bet if it slides past a certain point on the high side it triggers a alert or email and some one responds and gives those folks the first rooms.

Also in the end it is probably random on the remaining rooms left.

I think we know a lot of it. Whenever NCL closes the window to make upgrade bids, they accept the highest bids for the number of available cabins (i.e., if there are 7 available cabins, the top 7 bids get their bids accepted). I would assume if there are several bids of equal amounts, they are prioritized by who bid first, but I don't know that part for sure - there might be a different sorting mechanism at this step. Once the pool of accepted bids is finalized, the computer randomly assigns the winning bids to the available rooms - nothing else is taken into account. Not Latitude membership, not the amount of the bid (as long as it makes it into the "winning bid" pool), not number of people in the room, not how "good" the new room is. I've seen no evidence that there is anything more that gets considered than amount of bid and number of available rooms.

I think it’s more complicated than that. I think lower category bids can feed into who wins from higher categories as well. Say a balcony bids a minimum for a spa balcony but an inside bids the max that persons balcony. The person in the balcony may get their cheap bid because NCL can make a maximum bid by upgrading the lower category person. I don’t think it’s necessarily the highest bids that win... it’s a combination of factors and what maximizes profit across the board.

I think we know a lot of it. Whenever NCL closes the window to make upgrade bids, they accept the highest bids for the number of available cabins (i.e., if there are 7 available cabins, the top 7 bids get their bids accepted). I would assume if there are several bids of equal amounts, they are prioritized by who bid first, but I don't know that part for sure - there might be a different sorting mechanism at this step. Once the pool of accepted bids is finalized, the computer randomly assigns the winning bids to the available rooms - nothing else is taken into account. Not Latitude membership, not the amount of the bid (as long as it makes it into the "winning bid" pool), not number of people in the room, not how "good" the new room is. I've seen no evidence that there is anything more that gets considered than amount of bid and number of available rooms.

I agree that it is not as simple as taking the top bids. You are not taking into account room occupancy/capacity. Both room capacity and overall ship capacity will affect which rooms receive upgrades. In some cases, it may be better to free up an inside with 4 people, for example.

I think we know a lot of it.

Whenever NCL closes the window to make upgrade bids, they accept the highest bids for the number of available cabins (i.e., if there are 7 available cabins, the top 7 bids get their bids accepted).

I would assume if there are several bids of equal amounts, they are prioritized by who bid first, but I don't know that part for sure - there might be a different sorting mechanism at this step.

Once the pool of accepted bids is finalized, the computer randomly assigns the winning bids to the available rooms - nothing else is taken into account. Not Latitude membership, not the amount of the bid (as long as it makes it into the "winning bid" pool), not number of people in the room, not how "good" the new room is.

I've seen no evidence that there is anything more that gets considered than amount of bid and number of available rooms.

no, its not win by bid price.

on my Gem cruise last Nov, my bid from inside to balcony didnt win. i was going Solo.

i met another Solo cruiser on that cruise.

he bid the minimum for inside to balcony and won. :(

(my bid was higher than minimum.)

no, its not win by bid price.

on my Gem cruise last Nov, my bid from inside to balcony didnt win. i was going Solo.

i met another Solo cruiser on that cruise.

he bid the minimum for inside to balcony and won. :(

(my bid was higher than minimum.)

I assume you just took his word for it. I'm guessing that he offered no proof of what he actually bid. Because it simply makes sense for NCL to accept a low bid when there are others willing to bid more. :confused:

Status should have nothing to do with the bidding system. It should be weighed equally across all bids. First cruise or hundredth for the bids everyone should have an equal chance. Of course I'm not foolish enough to believe that just because I submit a high bid I'm going to get the upgrade. As there is probably some matrix involved based upon the original booking cost.

You got upgraded one day before your friends, which means they accepted your [higher] bid first. There is no way to have known that they also would have been upgraded the next day. since you bid higher, your bid was accepted first and the rooms you received were available at that time. I don't see anything worth complaining about.

I assume you just took his word for it. I'm guessing that he offered no proof of what he actually bid. Because it simply makes sense for NCL to accept a low bid when there are others willing to bid more. :confused:

ive talked to him throughout the 11day cruise.

he didnt come across as a braggart or lier.

the only thing i can think of is that ncl also takes into acct the price of what you paid for your cabin as well.

for that cruise, my cabin had a 20% discount because of CAS.

so i guess his cabin price + min upgrade bid was higher than my cabin price + slightly higher upgrade bid.

ive talked to him throughout the 11day cruise.

he didnt come across as a braggart or lier.

the only thing i can think of is that ncl also takes into acct the price of what you paid for your cabin as well.

for that cruise, my cabin had a 20% discount because of CAS.

so i guess his cabin price + min upgrade bid was higher than my cabin price + slightly higher upgrade bid.

That is bad math...original cabin price doesn't matter since they already have that money....it is only the additional funds that matter.

Cabin A original $1000, upgrade bid $100

Cabin B original $800, upgrade bid $100

If A wins, the cruise line gets $1900 (1000 + 100 + 800)

If B wins, they still get $1900 (1000 + 800 + 100)

Only a higher bid price can change the result.