The Biggest Little Ship Around: An Empress of the Seas Pictorial!

Is the International Pier the one closest to Carlos and Charlies in "town" or is this the newer pier close to Senor Frogs, etc.?

There's a Margaritaville there now, in addition to the Senor Frogs.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and review. We are sailing on the Empress in two days and this made me even more excited! Do you remember about how long it took to get to the bridge when leaving Tampa? My husband has never sailed from Tampa and I want to make sure to get him up on a higher deck to see how close it seems (or does it not since this is a smaller ship?).

Sorry didn't read all the content.

Just wanted to add some praise for Empress.

Me and my friend had our first ever RCI cruise on Empress two months ago. We booked Empress because we needed something short and cheap.

I am a somewhat spoiled as per my cruising habits, so I was worried. We had Junior suite booked as it was the cheapest possible cabin with a balcony. The Empress just doesn't have "simple" balcony cabins.

But I can tell right now - I was worried for nothing. Yes the cabin was on the smaller side and not that well organised. But it looked nice and clean.

The ship was pretty and easy to walk around without getting lost. Everything was nice and clean. We totally enjoyed all our 4 days, even the sea day. The crew was very friendly and helpful.

We LOVED the food in the buffet. That's where we spent most of our meals. But the main dining room - not so much.

Though we did go to the main dining room once and it happened to be the famous "Lobster night" - I thought the food was totally nothing to write home about, really. Our waitress was extremely insistent on ordering lobster though it was not initially my choice. And I wish I would not let her persuade me - maybe I just don't like lobster in general. But the one we had was over-salted and had no other taste then taste of salt. It felt like it was frozen forever and they thawed for a long time, and then finally cooked for us :)))

The main dining room was the only experience on the ship which was not really great. Especially when the waitress who met us their for the first time in her life (and for sure for the last time too as it was the last day of the cruise) - she started hugging us before we left and telling us over and over how we should give her excellent rating when we get survey. I know they work hard - I could see that. But I don't need some person I don't know to hug me. And when I got the survey I felt like I should have complained about that survey speech. But I didn't as I don't think that was the waitress fault. It's the pure management - all cruise lines do it, and you hear that speech almost every time you go on the cruise - no matter what cruise line.

I think the only times you don't get the speech are when you are in special "suite" restaurants or in expensive "add-on" venues. So I figured that was not the minus on the Empress account.

Overall we had total fun! Empress was a lovely ship with nice personality :)

Edited by JoieNsk

There's a Margaritaville there now, in addition to the Senor Frogs.

What's the Margaritaville there like? Does it have a beach, or a pool, or both? (I've seen variations on all those themes. :) )

What's the Margaritaville there like? Does it have a beach, or a pool, or both? (I've seen variations on all those themes. :) )

Don't know, we just walked by the entrance.

Thank you very much to the Topic Starter for the great pictures!

I am going to keep them :)

Looking at the pictures I realized again that it was indeed beautiful ship, and I got reminded how much we liked being there :))) I agree - it was very different experience then on the bigger ships. More intimate and more "marine".

I haven't been on newest giant ships. But I think I really like smaller ships better. When we go for a cruise - we go for the sea and ports.

It is probably much fun for families with kids to do all that stuff the giant ships has to offer. Even my 18 yo really looking forward to the ice rink and flow rider on the Navigator.

But for me personally - I think I really love the smaller ship experience. Maybe getting old :))))

Yes, there is a dining patio area between the Windjammer and the main pool.

Thanks so much for your reply. Your posts have been very helpful to us. The ship reminds me of the "olden days" when we sailed on Commodore Cruise Line out of New Orleans. We love the smaller ships, but will surely miss a balcony this time.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and review. We are sailing on the Empress in two days and this made me even more excited! Do you remember about how long it took to get to the bridge when leaving Tampa? My husband has never sailed from Tampa and I want to make sure to get him up on a higher deck to see how close it seems (or does it not since this is a smaller ship?).

Usually the ship is approaching the Skyway around 6 pm. Sometimes they'll make an announcement, although I don't remember one on Empress.

I didn't go all the way in to the one at the International Pier, but it definitely does not have a beach area. I also didn't see a pool there either.

I find it unfortunate that these "party bars" are opening in Cuba. We are not going until November and really want to see the real Cuba, not the touristy side.

Can anyone tell be if there is an everyday side on the Empress MDR menus? Thanks:D

We didn't eat in the MDR on this cruise, but we did look at the menu a couple of times. I believe it did have the one side that didn't change each night like other RCI ships.

[regarding Margaritaville at Cozumel]

I didn't go all the way in to the one at the International Pier, but it definitely does not have a beach area. I also didn't see a pool there either.

Thanks. I suppose not every M'Ville can have a nice free beach and a pool like Grand Turk, or a free beach and water inflatables like the one at Ocho Rios. :)

• 9 months later...
The Viking Crown Lounge and fitness center

a7496b6adffd7c2f02b2d9679a8d4296.jpg

4672fd98d28146921f742861128efee7.jpg

1cac671b5503ed3d66e4a9f0363d9752.jpg

6eb9b3fedce5577150da643ec280be8b.jpg

3615a1e69721058fa89f65ff263497e2.jpg

38f27a83ba9c4b77d4817743d5a66499.jpg

Am I seeing this correctly? The gym is located above a lounge???? Is there more to the gym than what I'm seeing in these photos?! Please say yes!!!

Edited by cpayne
added a question!

Am I seeing this correctly? The gym is located above a lounge???? Is there more to the gym than what I'm seeing in these photos?! Please say yes!!!
Yes, the gym is simply the balcony above the Viking Crown Lounge. Apparently the ship originally had one even smaller gym and at some point they cannibalized the lounge's balcony area to make a bigger one. It's a very odd setup.

There’s more equipment and space to the gym, though, than what’s in that picture correct?!

The gym is located on the horeshoe-shaped second level of the lounge. So yes, it is not large - but there is more to it than what you are seeing in that particular photo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Did the gym appear to be overly packed with Gym goers

due to the small size?

Not really. The only things I saw consistently in use and not always available without a wait were the treadmills. As an alternative to the treadmills, Deck 6 has a full wrap-around Promenade great for walking or jogging.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app