Do you tip on your first day?

goneclear

I've never tipped in advance and would never even have thought about it except for reading it here on this forum. It's because I've always thought of giving a gratuity is for services rendered, not anticipated. Perhaps we've been lucky and had great cabin attendants and dining room servers, we've almost always had wonderful, attentive service.

I worked in a service industry years ago (hair styling) and always provided the same service to clients without regard to who gave me more $ in tips, or even if they tipped me at all. I would have been embarrassed if a client handed me a $5 bill in advance and let me know I was expected to do something above and beyond my normal service and that I would get more at the end of the appointment. Fortunately, no one ever pre-tipped me with that expectation.

Just a thought, doing med cruise from UK next year and note that the ship converts into English pounds - however every port we visit (except Gibraltar which only takes English money) is Euros.

So would you tip in pounds or euros????

Interesting question this.

Whopps heading should read OR euros not on, sorry

While I have done a couple cruises I do not claim to be a veteran cruiser so I will like to hear from others there prefered method of tipping there room steward. I must say on the cruises I have been on my room steward has always been exceptional. This is what I do. When I meet my steward I always ask him / her politely that if they could always have ice in my ice bucket on evenings and clean towels everyday and I tell them for this I will ensure he is properly looked after at the end of the cruise. For this I usually tip $100 on the last night of a 7 night cruise.(about $50 more than RCCL recomends) I know some people Tip some on the first day with more to come later on. Just interested in what works for different people.
It's their job to keep the ice bucket full and change towels that are left on the floor. Certainly not necessary to tell them to do it.

We always tip our favorite bar waiter an extra $10.00 per day starting with our first round and we have the best service at the pool every day. We also tip our favorite bartender at the schooner bar up front and always get free drinks. The cabin steward is also tipped in incriments so he/she does not get sloppy during the week. If they know it is coming in stages, they always are ready for most requests.

I've never seen anyone suggest giving a phone card in lieu of a tip. Phone cards have been suggested as a nice extra bonus in addition to the regular or more than regular tip. It would be like your boss giving you a raise and a plaque to put on the wall. It's simply an added bonus to be kind.

BTW Clarkk, I agree that everyone is entitle to his or her own opinion, but the way that opinion is stated greatly influences the tone of the post. While I understand the point you are trying to make--perhaps that money would be more useful and/or beneficial--we are talking about gifts here. If someone wants to give a trinket, let them give a trinket.

My comments exactly. I think the phone card or something else is a great way to say "thank you" in advance, but most of us still intend to give a good tip at the end. Anyone who would think of giving a welcome gift certainly is not the type that would stiff at the end of the cruise or even cut back. NMNita

It's their job to keep the ice bucket full and change towels that are left on the floor. Certainly not necessary to tell them to do it.

Thanks Cruisinfanatic. I guess it just goes to shoe how easy I am to please once I am on a boat.;)

We are good tippers at the end of the cruise but the idea of a phone card as an extra is a great idea. Thanks.

Also just a note:

These board are for fun and information. Not to put people down for their thought and suggestions. Please don't shoot people down for expressing their thoughts. That's why we are all different.

lovetocruiserccl We prefer to give out phone cards at the beginning of the cruise with candy and whatever else we feel would be appreciated. We do this at the beginning so they don't think they received less of a tip because of it. As with anything else there are just some people that won't appreciate the gifts but everyone we have come across so far have really liked it. I wish I could take credit for the idea but we read it on here a few years ago and we really like to do it.

Can you tell me how you liked the Monarch? I'm going on my 1st cruise on her--4 Day Baja--in Feb, in a SO on deck 9. I am excited... :-) Thanks, Anne

I really enjoyed the Monarch. I've been on her three times and she met my expectations each time, even though I sailed for different reasons each time. I have a couple of reviews posted in the reviews section if you're interested in specifics, but you should have fun as the ship has a lot to offer. Cabins are on the small side, but we never had a problem with the size. I'd also highly recommend attending the dueling pianos show. We loved it and it became a regular event for us every night.

Are there specific questions that you have?

We have done the tip thing both ways -- started off waiting till the end, and for the last 3 cruises, pre-tipped. While we've always had excellent service, we have found that the pre-tip kicked the service level up a notch. We have a few special requests -- keeping fresh champagne glasses and a filled ice bucket in the room, for example -- and we've never been disappointed. We will continue to pre-tip, and then tip at the end as well. The pre-tipping has always resulted in extras for us.

BTW, I think the phone card is a thoughtful gesture (not a tip substitute, and it was clear that the person who mentioned it didn't intend it that way). Cruise employees work hard, and don't see their families for as much as 9 months at a time, so I'm sure the card would always be appreciated.

I've never tipped in advance and would never even have thought about it except for reading it here on this forum. It's because I've always thought of giving a gratuity is for services rendered, not anticipated.

Actually the word "tip" is an acronym for "To Insure Promptness"..... and it began as an "advance" payment to a service provider to ensure better service.... a better seat, quicker service, etc.

I've never actually tipped in advance on a cruise and have always had excellent service with one exception from our last cabin steward. I think that most of the time (every body has a bad day/week at work once in a while, don't we?) they try very hard... after all, it really is the tips they are working for. However, I think that tipping them in advance makes a statement that "I think I'm special and you better treat me so", which would make me feel like an a**. At the end of the cruise, we tip well over the recommended amounts and include a "bonus" phone card as well. It makes a statement that we care about them as humans, recognize that they have a family and they miss them. It's just a "warmer" gift, but it doesn't take the place of cold, hard, cash.

To all of you who have posted about the phone card as an additional thought, I like the idea. What value card do you think I should purchase for my next cruise.

As most these stewards live pretty far overseas I am sure overseas calls will eat up a phone card.

Thanks in advance.

What we did was to tip our room attendent on the first day $20. Told him that this is just a little something extra. Then tipped him the usual tip at the end. We had such great service. He kept our room spotless and we never knew when he was there . He picked up on our schedule and was never in the way....We brought along a portable cooler and he kept it full of ice the whole 9 days (even poured out the excess water). And I also brought along snack packs of oreos and left a few for him every day. I know he appreciated it because he thanked me every day for the chocolates. It was something small but for him it was a treat.

To all of you who have posted about the phone card as an additional thought, I like the idea. What value card do you think I should purchase for my next cruise.

As most these stewards live pretty far overseas I am sure overseas calls will eat up a phone card.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest $20. At least this will give them a couple of calls home and if they get 2 or 3 or more per month they will be able to talk to the family weekly. NMNIta

On our last cruise, I thought the steward was doing a very good job so mid-week I left $20 in an envelope with a note we had appreciated his service on the first portion of the trip. Then I just did the standard deduction at the end.

I hope he was able to keep the cash rather than turning it into the pool.

Archived