Tipping in Barcelona

jshli

We are taking private transfers from Barcelona airport to downtown Barcelona and from downtown Barcelona to the port. What would be an appropriate tip in each case?

Spain does not have a tipping culture, so not necessary to leave anything. However, if you feel the driver has been particularly helpful and you want to leave something, then a couple of Euros would be OK, but certainly no more than €5.

BTW we don't use the expression 'downtown' in Europe. We have city centres or historic centres.

No tipping is required.

What we do here in Catalonia is to "round up", which means that if the bill is say 6.80€, you leave 0.20€; if 124€ you might want to round up to 130. But again, it's up to you. I personally if I feel they've done nothing more but "their job" -for which they get already paid- then I don't tip. For decades we've had the minimum salary regulated by Law so everybody in any industry gets paid at the very least a minimum salary "to live on" (theoretically anyway!). Hence the reason we don't have a tipping culture.

If we're talking about services, such as guides, porters, etc. that'll depend on the service provided of course: a guide that's been accompanying you for a whole morning, if you feel he's been good and gone beyond what's expected, then you might tip say up to 10€ (or even 15!); if a porter has carried my bags for 50 yards, I wouldn't tip more than 2 or 3 € tops.

Note that this does differ in other cultures within Spain... the above applies here in Catalonia.

And yes, we don't have "downtown", we have indeed centres or/and historic centres -and those two do not necessarily match. Furthermore, in Barcelona, we have several centres as the city hasn't grown radially -like most US cities- but absorbing existing neighbouring towns many of which are now neighbourhoods of the city. Each one has its long history, their 'centre', shops, restaurants, monuments, etc. Having said that, if a Barcelonian uses the expression "the centre" he'll most probably refer to the area around Plaça Catalunya and El Gotic neighbourhood.

PS: Also note that "flashing money" is considered bad taste and even rude and that tips unusually high can be unappreciated.

Edited by EnricM

Thanks Enric and London. I am also hiring a private driver to get my family of 6 to and from the hotel/port and was wondering the same thing. I figured they already charged 79 € each way so I guess I will just round up to 80 € and call it good. I like to follow what is custom in the area I'm in.

...taking a regular minivan taxi from the taxi rank will cost you half of that. The only handicap is that sometimes you might have to wait a bit as most of the taxis are 4pax only and the minivans come and go. Yet worst case scenario, two regular 4pax taxis would cost you the same than this private service -without the hassle to depend on one driver to be there when you arrive.

...taking a regular minivan taxi from the taxi rank will cost you half of that. The only handicap is that sometimes you might have to wait a bit as most of the taxis are 4pax only and the minivans come and go. Yet worst case scenario, two regular 4pax taxis would cost you the same than this private service -without the hassle to depend on one driver to be there when you arrive.

Even two taxis would be cheaper as I believe the normal cost from the airport is €35 one way, but I'm sure Enric will correct me if I'm wrong. I definitely wouldn't be leaving a tip if I was being charged €79. I'd have paid for his dinner too!!!!

You're right LondonTowner... about 35€ (traffic-permitting) from the airport to Plaça Catalunya, and a flat 39€ from the airport to the port (or vice versa)

• 2 weeks later...
I thought tips are widespread all over Europe..You surprised me a lot.

No - tipping on mainland Europe is not the norm. If you really feel obliged to tip 5% is considered a very good gratuity and 10% should only be given for superb service. By the way, giving money to your hotel room staff on arrival is also not expected and will NOT get you any better service.