Gluten free on oasis?

so we are new to both the gluten free world and the oasis. Our TA has notified the line, and we know to go to the MDR on day one to talk it through with them. Aside from that, any suggestions on how to dine well gluten free on oasis? It is not Celiacs, so a little cross contamination is not the end of the world. Apologies if this topic has been done many times.

IMHO the wait staff do a good job if you let them know. In my experience they will bring you the next night's menu so you can let them know what you'd like. But if that doesn't happen (for whatever reason) there are numerous items on the menu that can be made GF. Even in Johnny Rockets and the pizza place they have special GF items, may take a bit longer to make but is obviously well worth it!

Other than that just use your common sense as you would dining out at home- beware of sauces, limit yourself to foods not processed etc.

If you're not Celiac and can handle a bit of cross-contamination you have options. I am in the same category here with you. At first, I did the GF thing on board and as much as I love the MDR waiters, they are careful to the point of obsession. Every evening after dinner they bring you a menu for the next day and you have to choose your complete meal when you're full and don't really know what you're going to want the next day. That got old fast. Also, I found that "gluten-free" meant you would get an entrée but without its accompanying sauce or garnish and thus without much taste. Usually, they remove, not replace, because it's easier. Also, as the sides varied and often contained gluten, many times you would get the same potato and vegetables and I got tired of a baked potato and mixed broccoli and carrots on my plate every evening. You have to stay on top of this because if you don't then they'll just keep giving you the same things. I should add here that I've experienced this on several RCI ships. If this happens, let your waiter know exactly what you want. As for the Windjammer, I stick with things that don't have sauces like salads, etc. They will provide gluten-free bread if you ask, if you want to make a sandwich. These breads depend entirely on the baker on the ship. Some of them are great and make some pretty fine gluten-free breads but others just don't know their way around it. I've had both wonderful and terrible gluten-free breads on board. After a couple of cruises identifying myself as gluten-free, I decided to wing it and make the choices myself. It's not that hard to figure out how to make your own dinner as easy on your stomach as possible. And there are several desserts where you can eat part of it but not all, like those that have a crust but lots of good stuff on top of it. (I order these and eat the good stuff, and congratulate myself because I left most of the calories in the crust. [emoji6])

One final thought for you. If your need for gluten-free comes from problems with digesting enriched and bleached flour, try cooking and baking with unbleached, unbromated, unenriched flour. You can order it online if you can't find it in your local store. I have switched to this and found that I can eat things made with this type of flour. (If you've been to Europe and find that you can eat breads and pastries there, it's because they don't mess with their flour the way we do in America.) On a recent two-week trip to Central Europe, I ate everything with no problems at all. Good luck with your cruise dining!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am gluten free and have Celiac's so can't tolerate cross contamination. I've had many issues on the ships but have to commend the Serenade of the Seas for really stepping up and providing wonderful entrees for all of us GF customers. Their breads, deserts and entrees are truly wonderful. I also had a good experience on the Jewel and Oasis!

Gluten free on the Oasis, is very good. They have speciality breads and buns for your meals, Most of the venues will have something that can be adjusted to allow you to eat there.

If you have scheduled dining. You will be given the menu for the next night and you can choose you GF choices.

My darling wife had no problems with any of the meals, and was very happy with the choices.

In the Windjammer, just ask the chef to help you with choices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 10 months later...
I am gluten free and have Celiac's so can't tolerate cross contamination. I've had many issues on the ships but have to commend the Serenade of the Seas for really stepping up and providing wonderful entrees for all of us GF customers. Their breads, deserts and entrees are truly wonderful. I also had a good experience on the Jewel and Oasis!

Colorado Babe,

Would you be able to give me more details of your experiences and where you ate on the Serenade? I have Celiac also and we are going in December. Thanks in advance!! :D