RCI Double Booking Excursions

Currently on Grandeur, and our last stop will be Coco Cay. I had booked a bungalow (doing all of the searching for best price and all of that, as we often do on these boards).

First day we had a menu to fill out, which I dropped off at the Shore Excursion desk and got my ticket for the bungalow. Second day I had a note placed in my door stating that "due to a glitch" my bungalow was cancelled but they will give me 20% off another excursion.

Apparently they double booked with another ship (assuming another RCI ship since it's a private island) and I guess that ship "won" over ours. So no beach bungalows, cabanas, beach beds for anyone.

I get that there is nothing anyone can do at this point, but how does this happen and how is it ONLY noticed when we are already on board and ticketed? Plus, the reason we had selected the bungalow was because we have a toddler and wanted a place to let her rest so trekking back to the ship for nap time doesn't ruin the whole day.

We ultimately booked a "lounger for two" which as I understand it is just 2 beach chairs with a shell or something, but we lose all of our bungalow amenities (transportation, towels, water, lunch... all the stuff we would have had to carry).

Sorry to hear your bungalow got cancelled, I know is disappointing and frustrating.

You don't have to carry lunch from the ship, the ship provides a buffet on Coco Cay which you can go to at your leisure. It's available for a couple of hours and also has access to water and beverages you would normally find in the Windjammer. If you have a beverage package it also works on Coco Cay.

Let you toddler rest on the lounger.

You can still use the tram.

We were in the bungalows in December they are at the far end of the beach, away from everything. If the tide is out you will only have ankle deep water and loads of seas grass. Those clam shells are more centrally located near all the activity. Near them is a roped off area for swimming and a buffet.

Here is a photo of the water in front of the bungalows: the darker looking spots is sea grass. It is really not deep enough for swimming or wading unless your toddler wants to sit in it and splash. But closer to where the buffet is is an area deep enough to swim and play in.

IMG_7749.jpg

Make sure you have something on your feet walking through the grass, the first time we visited my husband stepped on a sea urchin hiding in the sea grass and we had to go to first aide. This time we were wiser and walked in the water with water shoes or sandals.

Enjoy you day at Coco Cay!

Sorry to hear your bungalow got cancelled, I know is disappointing and frustrating.

You don't have to carry lunch from the ship, the ship provides a buffet on Coco Cay which you can go to at your leisure. It's available for a couple of hours and also has access to water and beverages you would normally find in the Windjammer. If you have a beverage package it also works on Coco Cay.

Let you toddler rest on the lounger.

You can still use the tram.

We were in the bungalows in December they are at the far end of the beach, away from everything. If the tide is out you will only have ankle deep water and loads of seas grass. Those clam shells are more centrally located near all the activity. Near them is a roped off area for swimming and a buffet.

Here is a photo of the water in front of the bungalows: the darker looking spots is sea grass. It is really not deep enough for swimming or wading unless your toddler wants to sit in it and splash. But closer to where the buffet is is an area deep enough to swim and play in.

IMG_7749.jpg

Make sure you have something on your feet walking through the grass, the first time we visited my husband stepped on a sea urchin hiding in the sea grass and we had to go to first aide. This time we were wiser and walked in the water with water shoes or sandals.

Enjoy you day at Coco Cay!

Ah thank you. That makes me a little by more optimistic. Maybe it's actually a stroke of GOOD luck that we got bumped?

I honestly had not looked into any other excursions since I booked the bungalow so far in advance. I didn't know there was a tram as well.

Fingers crossed for the buffet. I was able to specify a dietary restriction with the bungalow menu, so I just have to hope that there's something :-).

Sure, I think with cruising to that kind of port it's a known possibility. But "we had to skip the port/cancel due to safety reasons" is a bit different from "we sold these amenities to two different ships at the same time, and missed it for the months you had it reserved, and didn't realize it until day 2 of the cruise."

This all may become a non issue. Coco Cay gets missed half the time due to wind and/or sea conditions. We have missed it 3 of the last 5 tomes.

They broke ground for a pier at Coco Cay recently, plus they have announced Labadee-like improvements coming.

Apparently Grandeur and Enchantment are now both scheduled to be in Coco Cay on May 24.

What I find interesting is that several sites are showing itineraries for Enchantment that have her in Key West on May 23, Nassau on May 24 and Coco Cay on May 25. Enchantment's actual itinerary now appears to be Nassau on May 23, Coco Cay on May 24 and Key West on May 25.

Not sure when that adjustment was made to Enchantment's itinerary. Perhaps that has been known for a long time. But in any event, it appears to me that a change to Enchantment's schedule is why two ships will in Coco Cay on the same day.

Regards,

John

They broke ground for a pier at Coco Cay recently, plus they have announced Labadee-like improvements coming.

Good to hear that. Last time we got stuck at Freeport for an extra day and that is probably the worst. Had a lovely view of the cement plant from our window.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Apparently Grandeur and Enchantment are now both scheduled to be in Coco Cay on May 24.

What I find interesting is that several sites are showing itineraries for Enchantment that have her in Key West on May 23, Nassau on May 24 and Coco Cay on May 25. Enchantment's actual itinerary now appears to be Nassau on May 23, Coco Cay on May 24 and Key West on May 25.

Not sure when that adjustment was made to Enchantment's itinerary. Perhaps that has been known for a long time. But in any event, it appears to me that a change to Enchantment's schedule is why two ships will in Coco Cay on the same day.

Regards,

John

Very interesting, indeed.