Sorry, please clarify about wifi

bnsilly

If wifi is available throughout the ship why would I buy a wifi package for social sites? I'm sure I am not understanding something correctly. Just wanted some help understanding. Thanks in advance.

If wifi is available throughout the ship why would I buy a wifi package for social sites? I'm sure I am not understanding something correctly. Just wanted some help understanding. Thanks in advance.

Wifi connectivity can be limited/throttled/selectively blocked by the network manager. So, when you're on some airplanes, you may be able to use your own iPad to watch a complimentary movie while not being able to surf the internet (unless you buy data connectivity). Your ship situation is probably like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I understand what you're asking - but the WIFI is AVAILABLE throughout the ships, meaning you can connect anywhere. It's not free anywhere, in the cabin or in the common areas. That's unlike some hotels that offer free WIFI in the lobby, bar, etc.

So, if you want any internet access anywhere on the ship, you'll have to pay for it.

That being said, I really like the social plan. I think it's like $5 a day. You can still share photos with your friends and communicate with family (I use Facebook messenger). But, you're not tempted to check email, etc.

Wifi is available throughout the ship but if you want to access it and use it you have to purchase one of the 3 wifi packages they offer to use it. Each package level, social, value and premium allows different levels of internet access. Social they limit it to Facebook, twitter, instagram and a few other social websites. Value plan you get basic internet but sites that stream video, music and skype are blocked. Premium you can stream music and video but still no Skype and like sites or apps. If you want to use it you have to pay for it. You may see it as an available wifi connection on your device but if you try to connnect to it you are sent to the ships website and asked to purchase one of the 3 packages. If you don't purchase a package then no wifi for you. You just get rerouted back to the ships website with the wifi packages if you try to go to access any other websites on your device.

You can hook up to the ship's wifi to use the Carnival app - which allows you to access the FunTimes, your sign & sail account, etc. without paying for internet. The app is great because it lets you mark off as 'favorites' any events, shows, movies you want to attend.

You can also pay $5 for the entire cruise and it allows you to text with others in your party, (they need to pay the $5 too.)

But yes, to access email or Facebook, etc. you would need to pay for one of the packages - you can also pay per day, so you wouldn't have to buy the entire package.

You may see it as an available wifi connection on your device but if you try to connnect to it you are sent to the ships website and asked to purchase one of the 3 packages. If you don't purchase a package then no wifi for you. You just get rerouted back to the ships website with the wifi packages if you try to go to access any other websites on your device.
Are there no shipboard websites? As I understand it, there is no charge for using the shipboard app, which provides access to FunTimes online (right?) It would be nice if there was a way to access that info without using the app (i.e., from a laptop running Microsoft Windows). Some other cruise lines offer that (but perhaps don't offer an app).

Are there no shipboard websites? As I understand it, there is no charge for using the shipboard app, which provides access to FunTimes online (right?) It would be nice if there was a way to access that info without using the app (i.e., from a laptop running Microsoft Windows). Some other cruise lines offer that (but perhaps don't offer an app).

Nope, no shipboard website. The app works well from what I hear.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nope, no shipboard website. The app works well from what I hear.
But not natively in Windows.

I have Andy (Android simulator for Windows) on my laptop (though I cannot get it working right now). I wonder if the app would work within Andy?

UPDATE: It doesn't work.

Capture.JPG.2b273b02660e1dc220615ac6c2e4c458.JPG

But not natively in Windows.

I have Andy (Android simulator for Windows) on my laptop (though I cannot get it working right now). I wonder if the app would work within Andy?

UPDATE: It doesn't work.

No idea if it will work but you should be able to test it since you should download the HUB app before you cruise anyway. Download it and see if it loads up. If it works you should be able to enter a sail date and see the countdown timer to your cruise and you can add a picture for your avatar in the app. (assuming your Andy program will let you pull pics from your computer or you already have some in the Andy app.) That's about all it will do until you get on board and can click the "I'm aboard, log me in!" link for your final test.

I've never used Andy but that's because I never had much luck with any of the other android simulators when I wanted to play other Android games on my PC. I tried a couple years ago and it was so frustrating I just deleted them and forgot about them. My phone and tablet handle my Android needs and my laptop and PC handle my windows needs and never the twain shall meet unless I hear of a bullet-proof sim in the future lol.

edit - oh i see the update now - oh well it was a nice try!

I enjoy the app, easy to use to check out what's happening(Fun Times), hours of operation for restaurants, is what I use most often.

Buyer beware on the wi-fi. It's TRASH! I have no choice but to get it for business reasons, need email minimum, however it is slowest, most unreliable service on the seas. Carnival needs a device like RCCL Voom.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app