Rhine Cruising early June - weather

Bishop Creek

Most likely the weather will be upper 60's - 80's F. However, you might experience one or more rain days. For this reason, I'd pack a raincoat or poncho with hood and lightweight clothes that can be layered to wear underneath the rain gear. On our Rhine cruise in May we only experienced one cool/rainy day and it stopped raining and warmed up by noon.

Friends - I am in need of how cool it will get on a Rhine River Cruise - on average - June 3-10. Will I need a jacket? Any advice welcomed!

I used AccuWeather to look at averages in the cities along the way. It looks like a low of 50 to 55 and a high of 60 to 65 is typical, but I agree take a windbreaker for the rain which will also provide just enough warmth.

You will need a jacket, if only for early morning excursions if you tend to be feel warm easily. But you could hit a cool week (hope not!) in which it rains a lot. I would always take a jacket, it need not be thick. I normally get by with a summer jacket (one cotton layer) and short or long-sleeved shirts or blouses. On cooler days I wear a leather jacket, but I get cold easily.

It can be anything from 10 degrees at 8am to 30 degrees (not often) at 4pm. The current weather described here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53183866#post53183866 is unseasonably hot.

notamermaid

Just saw this post - right after I checked weather for several cities on the Rhine, as well as a few we'll be visiting via land in southern Bavaria and northeastern Switzerland soon. I had read May can get a lot of rain and it certainly appears that the chances of rain in those areas is moderate to heavy nearly everyday on the site that came up! :( Where I live, we've had similar weather recently, including everything from days that are in the low 70's and clear to mid-80's and hot and humid; 50's - 60's at night. I am stressing over whether to bring more for cool, warm or hot weather and the same with shoes. It does matter because if I try to pack in layers, like I have before for other destinations, it'll mean the large suitcase for sure! And more shoes, more coverups and more long pants instead of capris or shorts. Should I bring more short sleeved tops or more long sleeved? Should my husband bring more shorts (that he thinks he'll mostly wear except for dinner on board our ship). It's driving me bananas! Rain, rain, go away - please! River, river, not or low. Be the right height so we can go! (Terrible rhyme, but it conveys my concerns.)

In early June, the sun is out until 10pm, so a lot of those low temps won't happen until 11pm or later. My husband, who gets warm very easily, wore shorts the entire month of April when he visited me, and was perfectly comfortable. I was in jeans, no jacket. Germans were still in their winter coats.

Definitely bring a rain jacket. Public places will be much warmer than most Americans are used to - most won't have air conditioning, including restaurants.

Also, depending on your size, you may have problems running out and finding shorts or a jacket if you decide you need it. It's easier to find larger (more than size 12-14) clothes in europe than it used to be, but its still not in your usual stores.