Holiday Inn Express - 17th St. - Port Everglades - Still OK?

j3000

...hahah...just my luck...

I'm just about to book this hotel for our pre-cruise night next month, because it seems so popular with cruisers..

So I go to Tripadvisor for some current reviews....

And...The latest review there is title "ROACHES!"....yuk!

Some poor guy apprently found found roaches in his room! Wadda I do now...? (other reviews are still pretty good)

I'm just about to book this hotel for our pre-cruise night next month, because it seems so popular with cruisers..

Some poor guy apprently found found roaches in his room! Wadda I do now...? (other reviews are still pretty good)

Oh, jargee, there are roaches all over the tropics. Just ask for a room on an upper floor. I think you should go to the Renaissance for a few more dollars, $107 pretax US dollars and stay on a very high floor, and you won't find roaches on the 10th floor. [emoji51]

The hotel has been refurbished but wifi is NOT free

If I could pick any hotel, I would pick Hyatt Place, because the wifi is free, the shuttle from airport is almost free $2, and it is very nice

And I've never had a roach or a bed bug there, and it is next to the shopping center with Gilbert,s Burgers and Total Wine.

By the time you factor in a cab ride from FLL to the other properties, that would tack on another $15. With Hyatt Place, only two dollars.

Also, you get FREE breakfast at Hyatt Place. Something to consider.

One property that I love, however, it is a couple miles north of the area, is the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. The rooms are reasonable on Hotwire and PL Express, and you can identify it on PL Express by 3.5 star and room choice will indicate "superior city view".

Las Olas ain't cheap, i.e., food, but the hotel is charming. However, charming equates with tiny rooms, but for one night it is fine.

Problem is your cab will run around $20.

So, I think you should check Hyatt Place, and many claim it is very cheap if booking though Valuetrips.com. They will take a long while to get back to you though, based on what others have indicated, but you can always call Hyatt Place to make sure that they have you booking if you should book through valuetrips.

I thought someone indicated the cost is around $109, which considering the freebies, would make this the best deal. . .

Yes, just checked, 109 a night, the value of this property is excellent, jargee.

Rooms are very large, too.

Love it here.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm#Today's%20Super%20Value%20rates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, jargee, there are roaches all over the tropics. Just ask for a room on an upper floor. I think you should go to the Renaissance for a few more dollars, $107 pretax US dollars and stay on a very high floor, and you won't find roaches on the 10th floor. [emoji51]

The hotel has been refurbished but wifi is NOT free

If I could pick any hotel, I would pick Hyatt Place, because the wifi is free, the shuttle from airport is almost free $2, and it is very nice

And I've never had a roach or a bed bug there, and it is next to the shopping center with Gilbert,s Burgers and Total Wine.

By the time you factor in a cab ride from FLL to the other properties, that would tack on another $15. With Hyatt Place, only two dollars.

Also, you get FREE breakfast at Hyatt Place. Something to consider.

One property that I love, however, it is a couple miles north of the area, is the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. The rooms are reasonable on Hotwire and PL Express, and you can identify it on PL Express by 3.5 star and room choice will indicate "superior city view".

Las Olas ain't cheap, i.e., food, but the hotel is charming. However, charming equates with tiny rooms, but for one night it is fine.

Problem is your cab will run around $20.

So, I think you should check Hyatt Place, and many claim it is very cheap if booking though Valuetrips.com. They will take a long while to get back to you though, based on what others have indicated, but you can always call Hyatt Place to make sure that they have you booking if you should book through valuetrips.

I thought someone indicated the cost is around $109, which considering the freebies, would make this the best deal. . .

Yes, just checked, 109 a night, the value of this property is excellent, jargee.

Rooms are very large, too.

Love it here.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm#Today's%20Super%20Value%20rates

Thanks again cats...I'll consider all that ... but you must remeber.. I converting CDN $ at approx $1.40 ...so EVERY dollar counts ...:)

Thanks again cats...I'll consider all that ... but you must remeber.. I converting CDN $ at approx $1.40 ...so EVERY dollar counts ...:)

Yes, I do understand that. [emoji4]

We have stayed twice at Holiday Inn & Suites before cruising with Princess. We like it and it is a real bang for your buck. They have a free shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the port for $10pp. The port is not more than 15 minutes away. There is a free breakfast, free wifi, and across the street is a small shopping area but has 4-5 places to eat. We are cruising again in January and will stay here again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed there in February an didn't see any roaches....I didn't care for the location. Next time I want to stay closer to the beach. They were building a new section while we were there with a pool. That might convince me to try it again if I can just relax by the pool. The woman at the front desk was quite rude.... but everyone else seemed very nice. All in all....it was an ok stay. We are IHG club members so we try to stay at hotels in the club.... it was ok.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to South Florida.

The reviewer probably saw some leetle leezards running around, too.

It's an ongoing battle to keep the wildlife population at bay in Florida. I doubt you could find a hotel thats completely bug free. A roach infestation is different than spotting a random roach.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

It's an ongoing battle to keep the wildlife population at bay in Florida. I doubt you could find a hotel thats completely bug free. A roach infestation is different than spotting a random roach.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Most likely the reviewer saw a Eurycotis floridana...What we call a palmetto bug which you can keep at bay but never fully eliminate.