How Do You Switch A Booking For OBC, Possible Upgrade Etc?

globe9

The wife and I booked a balcony on Deck 7 forward of the Breeze for a cruise in October. I think it's an Early Saver rate.

I'm reading another thread where people write about switching their booking to a Guarantee and getting OBC and then scoring Aft wrap balconies etc... Is this common? I've always just booked a cruise about 6 months out and then showed up on embarkation day. I have never checked prices afterwards or changed anything about my booking... Am I doing it wrong? What could I be doing to enhance the value, get OBC, etc?

It's a gamble. You can do a guaranteed room and end up with a great room but it's more likely you'll get one that others haven't picked on purpose. I think looking and planning and checking is fun for some of us. But if sitting back and relaxing after your initial booking is better for you, I'd go with that!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree with bmetz, it's a gamble. They will put you in a room that is not booked. And people do not book the undesirable rooms. Of course some people will luck out with a good or even great room, but I prefer to choose my own room. I like a Lido balcony and want to choose my location. The difference in cost between guaranteed and non guaranteed is not worth it for me, but for some it is.

I booked a GTY cabin the last cruise and our next one. Last time we were put into an enclosed balcony. I asked on CC some thoughts and many liked them so I was going to keep it. However, as the cruise got closer prices dropped so much that our TA was able to move as to a regular balcony. We definitely saved some money, with minor aggravation. For our next cruise I booked another GTY cabin. It leaves in November and we already have a room assigned. A great balcony room. I will say, I've asked and read a lot on CC and have never seen anyone get a wrap around amazing upgrade when booking a GTY.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand that booking a GTY would mean it's more than likely that we'd get an undesireable cabin,but how does changing the booking work?

I think I'm paying $799 p/p for a balcony on my upcoming cruise. So if the price drops, I can call Carnival and get OBC? Is it likely the price would drop? Seems like a lot of decks on this cruise were sold out already, so I doubt the price would drop right?

Or, let's say the price drops on a better cabin, to something like $999. I could just call Carnival and book that cabin for the difference?

I'm just confused about the changing the booking once booked and getting deals on lower priced rooms or OBC etc.

I understand that booking a GTY would mean it's more than likely that we'd get an undesireable cabin,but how does changing the booking work?

I think I'm paying $799 p/p for a balcony on my upcoming cruise. So if the price drops, I can call Carnival and get OBC? Is it likely the price would drop? Seems like a lot of decks on this cruise were sold out already, so I doubt the price would drop right?

Or, let's say the price drops on a better cabin, to something like $999. I could just call Carnival and book that cabin for the difference?

I'm just confused about the changing the booking once booked and getting deals on lower priced rooms or OBC etc.

Technically, you cannot price match to a GTY rate with Early Saver. If you find a GTY rate that is less than the rate that you are booked at for the same class of cabin, you can call Carnival. Some people have reported being able to match to that rate ONE time. It does change your rate to a GTY rate and you will most likely get no price drops after that point (as ES does not work with guarantee rates, it actually changes your booking type).

If you do not match to a GTY rate, you will keep your ES booking type. You can price match to all price drops for your cabin category up to 2 days prior to sailing. You simply submit the price protection form and you will receive a the reduced price (if you haven't yet paid in full) or OBC (if you have paid in full).

If you aren't checking your rates after you book, you certainly could be losing out on price drops/OBC.