A P&O perspective on a Crown Princess cruise.

daiB

We were on the same cruise. You can get a package with 7 bottles. There are two levels, I think one includes bottles up to $29 and one featuring bottles up to $45. We bought the more expensive one as it had wines we knew we liked. Pinot Grigio is not a luxury wine and costs about $35 plus gratuity on board. ouch! I believe with the gratuity the cost of the 7 bottles was around $300. Wine is so expensive on cruise ships a g&t is much better value.

Not on P&O. Still get reasonable wines for £15 to £20. With nothing added.

However I do drink more G&Ts. :). :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great review. Well considered. We were on this cruise and are doing it again on July 29th. We obviously like this itinerary and in our opinion, was made better by the fact that we didn't make Genoa, but on Captain's recommendation, went to Santa Margherita. Having been to both, what a bonus!! Such a pretty port.

We are long time Princess and previous P and O cruises, because of the new rules re the MTP, we made third place which was great. We have 685 days but mostly with Princess. . Happy days.

Apparently Princess are in the process of changing the MTP rules so that only cruises taken onboard Princess will be counted in the future and not those on P&O. I believe everything else is staying the same.

Apparently Princess are in the process of changing the MTP rules so that only cruises taken onboard Princess will be counted in the future and not those on P&O. I believe everything else is staying the same.

Hi

Quite correct. Apparently our May cruise on Crown was one of the first to have the new rules applied. CC host explained that the Company felt that many former P and O cruisers were taking either their first/second Process cruise, and immediately taking the MTP awards having only done say under 20 days with Princess. However, they are still counting P and O days for the Captains Circle status.

Good to read an alternative view Dai.

My review can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2503410

However there was a hitch at some point as sailing was delayed by about 45 mins. The excuse given was boarding difficulties.
BTW We left Southampton late on 13.05.17 as one of the Evesway coaches ( from Glasgow) was delayed at one of the Service stations. They were waiting for a passenger who went 'walk-about.' This information was relayed by one of our table companions who was on the coach.

One criticism I would have of Princess was the lack of lectures on sea days. The only one was the 'coffee chat' between the CD and Harry Rednapp. Even I went to listen and I found him very entertaining. He had never cruised before and wondered why he hadn't!

I have since found this picture of him with the Captain, Justin Rhodes on Twitter.

d6e4d1943446a867cc60937d465c632e.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

Good to read an alternative view Dai.

My review can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2503410

BTW We left Southampton late on 13.05.17 as one of the Evesway coaches ( from Glasgow) was delayed at one of the Service stations. They were waiting for a passenger who went 'walk-about.' This information was relayed by one of our table companions who was on the coach.

One criticism I would have of Princess was the lack of lectures on sea days. The only one was the 'coffee chat' between the CD and Harry Rednapp. Even I went to listen and I found him very entertaining. He had never cruised before and wondered why he hadn't!

I have since found this picture of him with the Captain, Justin Rhodes on Twitter.

d6e4d1943446a867cc60937d465c632e.jpg

Yes not sure if this is the norm. I would have thought with 6 sea days there may have been speakers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Hi Dai,

Just to let Linda know the poem was called "If I Knew" by Dawn Marie Huddleston. It is there in full on "Crown Mediterranean Adventures"

Cheers!

Linda says thank you.

Dai

We were on the same cruise. You can get a package with 7 bottles. There are two levels, I think one includes bottles up to $29 and one featuring bottles up to $45. We bought the more expensive one as it had wines we knew we liked. Pinot Grigio is not a luxury wine and costs about $35 plus gratuity on board. ouch! I believe with the gratuity the cost of the 7 bottles was around $300. Wine is so expensive on cruise ships a g&t is much better value.

First let me say welcome to Dai. So glad you enjoyed your first Princess cruise.

Turning to the quote above. We always take the cheaper (Silver) package and never the Gold.

We normally find our preferred wines are typically $34-$35 and rarely choose wines which would justify the $45 Gold package. However, and this is the point of my post, if you take the Silver package, you can choose wines more expensive that $29. You simply pay the difference.

What happens is that the marginal cost appears on your stateroom account and, for some unknown reason, there is no gratuity added to the marginal cost.

Boarding was much the same as we had Elite status. It was a little earlier but not by much. We were on the ship by 12.15.

A question Dai, as you have recent experience of Southampton & Princess.

We are Platinum and hence get 'Preferred' boading. Did they adhere to the staggered boarding times that are defined on the booking notification? I've seen posts where people state that this is a 'suggested' embarkation time, but I can't see the word suggested anywhere.

Do you remember what your embarkation slot was?

Thanks

Martin

We are Platinum and hence get 'Preferred' boading. Did they adhere to the staggered boarding times that are defined on the booking notification? I've seen posts where people state that this is a 'suggested' embarkation time, but I can't see the word suggested anywhere.

Thanks

Martin

On our e-tickets for our cruise on Crown Princess later this month we are Elite and it doesn't state an embarkation slot it just says at the top of the e-ticket "preferred boarding" and lower down says boarding is between 12-30 and 3.

On our e-tickets for our cruise on Crown Princess later this month we are Elite and it doesn't state an embarkation slot it just says at the top of the e-ticket "preferred boarding" and lower down says boarding is between 12-30 and 3.

Ours do too, but we have received a Booking Notification that states:

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Passwithin the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. All guests must be on board one hour prior to sailing.

12:30 PM - Dolphin and Riviera Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with D & R

1:15 PM - Caribe and Aloha Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with C & A

2:00 PM - Emerald and Lido Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with E & L

2:30 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with B & P

Does "within the allocated check-in times" mean from 12:30 onwards?

Martin

First let me say welcome to Dai. So glad you enjoyed your first Princess cruise.

Turning to the quote above. We always take the cheaper (Silver) package and never the Gold.

We normally find our preferred wines are typically $34-$35 and rarely choose wines which would justify the $45 Gold package. However, and this is the point of my post, if you take the Silver package, you can choose wines more expensive that $29. You simply pay the difference.

What happens is that the marginal cost appears on your stateroom account and, for some unknown reason, there is no gratuity added to the marginal cost.

Oh they kept that very quiet, if we had known we would have gone for the silver package as the wines we liked were priced around $35.

Thank you for the information.

Thanks

Martin

Sorry just seen this, lack of internet connection. No idea what happened later but as Elite we just checked in and boarded. Bit of a queue for security but no more than 10 to 15 minutes.

13/05/17

Our suggested embarkation time for E deck was 2 pm.

However, we had to leave our hotel at noon, so we drove directly to the Ocean Terminal, emptied our car, which was taken for parking by CPS. We then found a porter to take our bags and went into the terminal.

We were given a health form to fill in and went to check in ( we were Ruby status) We were given security number 20, they were calling 16 at the time, so we sat down for about 25/ 30 minutes until our number was called. We weren't delayed at any time and were in our cabin at 1.15 pm.

At no time were were told we couldn't board 'early.'

Ours do too, but we have received a Booking Notification that states:

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Passwithin the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. All guests must be on board one hour prior to sailing.

12:30 PM - Dolphin and Riviera Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with D & R

1:15 PM - Caribe and Aloha Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with C & A

2:00 PM - Emerald and Lido Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with E & L

2:30 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with B & P

Does "within the allocated check-in times" mean from 12:30 onwards?

Martin

Yes as a "preferred check-in" you can check in at anytime between 12-30 and 3.

Yes as a "preferred check-in" you can check in at anytime between 12-30 and 3.

Thanks everyone. Shame we're getting kicked out of our hotel at 11, and it's only a 15-20 minute taxi drive to the port!

M.

• 2 weeks later...
It is clearly because of the close link between Princess and P&O in the past. Up until 2002 Princess was owned by P&O.

I actually registered about 7 years ago on the Princess website and was given Elite status then.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Carnival Corp. (CCL) owns Princess and P&O, as well as many others (incl. Cunard, Holland, Costa, etc.)

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Carnival Corp. (CCL) owns Princess and P&O, as well as many others (incl. Cunard, Holland, Costa, etc.)

Not sure who's bubble you are trying to burst but as a shareholder I know who owns what. I feel you have taken the quote out of contest. It was simply a reason for P&O cruisers to carry over their loyalty status to Princess.

Not sure who's bubble you are trying to burst but as a shareholder I know who owns what. I feel you have taken the quote out of contest. It was simply a reason for P&O cruisers to carry over their loyalty status to Princess.

Sorry...just read many comments about Princess/P&O, and felt many might not know they are the same company. Not directed to any One comment. Yes, if you are a shareholder, you get OB credit...best dividend ever!

• 1 month later...

I've taken many cruises and do tend to be one of the people who like to hang out in the Atrium with a Kindle and some coffee. Where else would you sit if you don't have a balcony--a stuffy cabin? Its either the Atrium or take up a seat in one of the bars since the deck chairs around the pool have towels on them (empty of people often) from breakfast time forward. Relaxing onboard in a comfortable seat seems a perfectly acceptable way to recuperate on at-sea days to me.