Would you take this risk?

SS Cruise Lady

I have to agree with the last poster. I would need to know where the ship was sailing from before I would bid. I would also need to know where the ship was going to return to in case it might be a repo cruise that would require expensive one way air fare. I would also wait until others had used the service and had provided reviews on what they bid on and what they acutally got.

I'd have to say it depends == particularly on time of year and price. I love just to goooo and would be eager to see all corners of the world.

How to get to the ship, I agree, would be a problem. Maybe if air is included?

love

joan

I would do it in a minute. Our friends who refuse to use Priceline seem to refuse to understand how it works. We bid on 4 star hotels and our friends' chief objection is the possibility that you'll get stuck in a Days Inn. Well, unless there are 4 star Days Inns we don't know about, that's not going to happen. If Priceline was using star ratings, there is a little chance you would be bidding in hopes of Celebrity and would end up on a Carnival ship.

I would do this in a second, especially for a last-minute trip.

Great idea, but it probably wouldn't work. With sites such as bidfortravel, you can pretty much figure out which hotel you're getting w/ Priceline. I don't think you can do the the cruise version of Priceline w/o specifying the departure port, number of days, and possibly the ship rating as well. At that point, it would be a piece of cake to figure out which ship you'll be on.

But even if I couldn't, I would probably bid on a cruise. Often, you can save over 50% w/ Priceline. Imagine getting a guarantee cabin for 1/2 or a 1/3 of the advertised price.:)

only if they had the star ratings like priceline. 4 star couldn't be Carnival or NCL IMPO

Hi fllady :)

Your post makes sense but unfortunately, logic does not always prevail. Cruise Critic rates some NCL and Carnival Ships as high as 4 1/2 stars out of 5, while they only give 3 1/2 stars to Celebrity's Millennium, Century, Mercury, and Galaxy. These ratings are not just confined to Cruise Critic because some travel sites use Cruise Critic as a source for their ratings. At the same time, there are other travel critics/guides who consider the Celebrity Experience to be superior to Carnival/NCL and that is reflected in their ratings. With this in mind, I think Priceline would not work well for Cruising unless a person is willing to take a big chance, or feels that if a cruise is cheap enough they don't care what they get.

I'm very happy to play the Priceline game with pre-cruise hotels, because it's only for a night or two. For a cruise, I would need to know date, cabin, itinerary and ship before paying. So that would pretty much rule out a Priceline-type gamble.

Lisa

Archived