Child traveling with one parent documents?

SIL has a child with a sperm donor. Wonder what documentation she needs? Or perhaps the birth certificate reflects this? Now I'm curious....

On the child's birth certificate, there would be no father's name listed, so she would be able to get a passport for the child, etc.

Do you have an open notoriety letter ie one that says that the can travel with you anytime or is it for a specific trip. We're having trouble getting my step daughters dad to help us renew her passport so an open letter would be ideal,

This doesn't always work, unfortunately. We live in Washington state so we go to Canada frequently. I asked during my Nexus interview if I could get a blanket "International travel is ok" letter from my ex. Canada border patrol told me the maximum length of authorization they will accept is 1 year and it has to specifically say ok for entering Canada. Other countries may be different. But generally, if you want to be certain you won't be denied entry when you travel internationally, you need the passport (unless on a closed loop cruise), a specific letter authorizing that trip and, if the last names of parent and kid are different, a legal way to link them (i.e. Birth certificate). As others have said, a court order will serve the same purpose as a letter if an ex is MIA. That's my plan if my ex ever doesn't sign. While I'm not always asked for it, I don't want my vacation screwed up so I make sure I have it.

Hi, I'm traveling with my daughter and my husband (her step father) on Allure in July. Every other time I've cruised with her I've had my ex-husband sign a notarized form about our travels. Never once have I been asked for this document. My ex husband has been MIA from my daughter's life this past year, he last texted her last July for her birthday, and that was the last contact. Has anyone ever been asked to produce this documentation? Do others actually do it? None of the people I've talked to ever had it cross their mind. My daughter does have a passport.

Thanks for any help, because I'm not certain we can get one signed this time around.

Do you have sole legal custody? This is the key. If you have sole custody, you may not need his permission to travel. I'd consult a lawyer for sure just to be sure. No need to stir up the pot with your ex unless you need to.

they won't ask for documentation (unless your last names are different, in which case you need to have documents that show you are the parent, but that is different from a letter

And I'll disagree with this. When I divorced, I changed my name back to my maiden name. Boys have their father's last name. We have travelled several times since then, and I have never once been asked to prove that I am their mother. They both have passports as do I, but I have never brought their BCs to show that I am indeed their mother. And no one has ever asked.

So again, it's a matter of "if they ask and you don't have it" vs. "I have it but they never asked". I'd much rather be the latter than the former.

I do have sole custody. We divorced when she was very young, and at that time he was granted supervised visits due to drug issues (which he rarely took prior to moving himself out of state), and we've never gone back to court since, over 11 years now. That's the only paperwork I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And I'll disagree with this. When I divorced, I changed my name back to my maiden name. Boys have their father's last name. We have travelled several times since then, and I have never once been asked to prove that I am their mother. They both have passports as do I, but I have never brought their BCs to show that I am indeed their mother. And no one has ever asked.

So again, it's a matter of "if they ask and you don't have it" vs. "I have it but they never asked". I'd much rather be the latter than the former.[/quote

I was never married to my daughters father--she has his last name...I never travel with any letters--just a bc and her passport card--never ever an issue. We also have no court papers for any custody agreement. She is in my care 100 percent of the time...never an issue traveling

I hope that's the case, like I said I usually get him to sign one, but this time he's just so disinterested in her that it's incredibly hurtful, and I don't know if he's "forget" just by virtue of making a point that he's a messed up man. I'm in FL and he's in NJ, so it's not like I can just go to him and ask for it in person.

I do have sole custody. We divorced when she was very young, and at that time he was granted supervised visits due to drug issues (which he rarely took prior to moving himself out of state), and we've never gone back to court since, over 11 years now. That's the only paperwork I have.

I hope that's the case, like I said I usually get him to sign one, but this time he's just so disinterested in her that it's incredibly hurtful, and I don't know if he's "forget" just by virtue of making a point that he's a messed up man. I'm in FL and he's in NJ, so it's not like I can just go to him and ask for it in person.

If you have sole custody, and it is in your paperwork from the courts, signed and sealed by the court that ordered it, that's all you need. But it needs to specifically say that you have SOLE LEGAL custody. If it doesn't say that, and you are only granted sole PHYSICAL custody, that is different, and you will still need the letter.

My paperwork says shared responsibility but I have sole custody. "The parties shall share parental responsibility of the minor child. The wife shall be the primary residential parent. Until such time as the husband is reintroduced to care for the minor child the wife shall have sole custody. The husband's visitation with the minor child shall be supervised..."

My paperwork says shared responsibility but I have sole custody. "The parties shall share parental responsibility of the minor child. The wife shall be the primary residential parent. Until such time as the husband is reintroduced to care for the minor child the wife shall have sole custody. The husband's visitation with the minor child shall be supervised..."

Ah, ok, then he still has a legal right to make decisions (visitation doesn't change his right to legal decisions, it only changes his rights to physical custody). So in order to travel by plane internationally, you will need permission, and you will also need him to be present and give permission to get a passport.

You can still take the cruise without his permission though, and while it's always possible for them to give you a hard time, you have legal standing to argue back that his permission is not required to travel on a closed loop cruise. You can just print the page directly from the RC website that states that only one parent needs to give permission (I think someone posted it above) and if anyone gives you a hard time at check in, show them that instead.

As a side note, if he doesn't exercise his rights to visitation, and consistently shows that he is uncooperative and making it difficult or impossible for you to get things done for and with your child, then you can go to back to the family courts that made the original custody order and request that you also get sole legal custody (with rights to all decision making- since your current order specifically says you share responsibility, that means he has a right to make decisions for the child, like whether they can leave the country, even though the child lives with you). It is difficult to get, but it is possible if you are patient and willing to pay the money for the legal process.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We are travelling soon with gd who is 17. She has a green card and a Brazilian passport and will still have a notarized letter from both parents even though she lives with us. She just got her drivers license which also has her (our address) on it..I would rather have the letter and not be asked for them, than to be asked and not have them..

We are travelling soon with gd who is 17. She has a green card and a Brazilian passport and will still have a notarized letter from both parents even though she lives with us. She just got her drivers license which also has her (our address) on it..I would rather have the letter and not be asked for them, than to be asked and not have them..

This is a different scenario. In your scenario, you are not the parents, and actually DO need the letter.

Ah, ok, then he still has a legal right to make decisions (visitation doesn't change his right to legal decisions, it only changes his rights to physical custody). So in order to travel by plane internationally, you will need permission, and you will also need him to be present and give permission to get a passport.

You can still take the cruise without his permission though, and while it's always possible for them to give you a hard time, you have legal standing to argue back that his permission is not required to travel on a closed loop cruise. You can just print the page directly from the RC website that states that only one parent needs to give permission (I think someone posted it above) and if anyone gives you a hard time at check in, show them that instead.

I have a passport for her already. She originally got one just with my divorce paperwork, though when t was renewal time he was in contact more, so I had him sign and notarized that firm just for ease of processing, though they likely would've renewed it with the sane documents I provided initially.

As a side note, if he doesn't exercise his rights to visitation, and consistently shows that he is uncooperative and making it difficult or impossible for you to get things done for and with your child, then you can go to back to the family courts that made the original custody order and request that you also get sole legal custody (with rights to all decision making- since your current order specifically says you share responsibility, that means he has a right to make decisions for the child, like whether they can leave the country, even though the child lives with you). It is difficult to get, but it is possible if you are patient and willing to pay the money for the legal process.

The part that says sole custody until father is capable still applies, is think.

I took my 7 yo granddaughter on LOTS last year, and her parents were newly divorced with joint custody. I had a letter notarized, and showed it at check in. When I got to Adventure Ocean, I had left the letter in the room, and I had to bring it the next day when I brought her back to stay. That was the only time I showed it.Never in Mexico, Grand Cayman or Jamaica. But, you can rest assured I had a copy with me and one back in my cabins safe! Our last names are the same. We are going back again this July, and Im a searching now for that form letter to redo!