Question regarding accommodations when visiting Venice

terri910

We are going in October and will be staying 2 nights prior to the cruise. I booked the Boscolo Marriott in Canareggio which, granted, is expensive but I was able to get a pretty good deal. They have a private boat shuttle to San Marco, too. We will take the Orange Line (Arancia) Alilaguna to Madonna d'Orto stop and walk to the hotel...no stairs or bridges and about a 3 minute walk. However, I hired a water taxi to take us to the pier because I wanted to be hassle free. I have some mobility issues and there are four of us so the taxi was a good option. If it were me, I would do all I could to stay in Venice proper. I doubt you will regret it.

We just came back from our 10 night cruise on Constellation out of Venice which also returned to Venice. There were 8 of us and we needed four hotel rooms both before and after the cruise. We had 16 pieces of luggage including our carry on bags. We could not find any good options in Venice for the complexity of our group and everything was very expensive there in early June. We booked the Crowne Plaza on the main land in Quarto D'Altino. They have a cruise package there with very reasonable rates. It includes free transportation from the airport to the hotel, and free transportation to the cruise port. They do this on both ends of the cruise if returning to Venice. Rooms are pretty nice and modern. A very nice buffet breakfast with hot and cold items is included in the rate. The Train Station is literally behind the hotel. You can take a train running every 30 to 60 min to St Lucia Station in Venice and back (runs until midnight). It was 3.40 euro each way. About 25 min ride. Walking out of the train station you are on the Grand Canal and have access to every mode of transportation there. We took the Hop On Hop Off boat for 20 euro (24 hr) or there is an option for 27 euro (48 hr). The public water buses or private water taxis are also right there. We were glad we did this. A lot of people were in Venice dragging their luggage up and down steps and over bridges.

We stayed at its companion hotel, the Bestwestern Airvenice about 10 minutes walk from the Crown Plaza. For $90eu a night with all the airport transfers included was pretty reasonable. We arrived in Venice at 11pm and this was the easiest way for us. Highly recommended for first time visitors to Venice that arrive late in the evening.They charged $10eu each to be dropped off at the cruise terminal. The hotel is full of travelers coming from or going to the airport.

I'd try AirBnB, a lot cheaper than hotels especially for a few days. We stayed right on a canal in walking distance from the port (where Azamara docks) and was a delight. Plentiful breakfast provisions, quiet but close to everything you want to see, wonderful owners who leave you a bottle of their delish wine. Less than $150 per night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums